JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi. I suspect this has been discussed here previously but I was not able to find it through a search.

What is the strongest, most effective pepper spray available? I want to purchase some for my daughter and I bet some of you know about pepper sprays and which ones are the best.

Thank you.

I went with a POM for my wife.

Not a gel because from what I saw you have to hit them in the eyes and the sprays add the possibility of the target inhaling the spray.

Also, it has the UV light marker to help police identify the person you sprayed.

Bought a small one on Amazon for $12-13.

Get the strongest, and get a few of them so she can practice. MANY people buy one and never actually try it. So then if time ever comes to use it they are of course under stress and may never get it into play. Also do what I have LONG told people. If you have to use it be prepared for it to not do much. Some drop to the ground, some will charge you acting like nothing happened. Practice with some first of the same kind she is going to carry.

Hi. I suspect this has been discussed here previously but I was not able to find it through a search.

What is the strongest, most effective pepper spray available? I want to purchase some for my daughter and I bet some of you know about pepper sprays and which ones are the best.

Thank you.
We use Pom on our person, one big bear spray in car, and big bear spray by front door. Where we are there is possibility of unarmed homeless/crazy/drugged out that won't go away so it's a good tool in the toolbox imo. Agree with joe13 don't use a gel.

Gel video, skip to 3:43 mark.

Research. All righty then. My research was not on the internet.

My research has consisted of actually using OC over the past 18 years on the job. Been using Defense Technology (by Safariland) "First Defense" 360 (ballistic spray in a 1.3% formulation). Based on the results I've personally witnessed, my personal deployments of this product, and how many times I've been intentionally, accidentally or been the victim of collateral spray), I don't think there's anything better. This is a pretty standard LE/corrections (OC is used most often in jails and prisons) issue on the West Coast and throughout the country; I think those who've depended on this product will attest to its effectiveness.

Please do not buy OC you may have to depend upon on Amazon.

Back in the day, we carried Counter-Assault OC-10. Used properly - training in use and tactics is crucial! - it was very effective. We had a tradition of putting small orange pumpkin stickers on our jockey boxes for each perp who experienced the 'spice of life.' It was the gift that kept on giving, but stopped any an assault and self-harm. I still have an 8 ounce party pack that, lamentably, I never had the opportunity to use.

Another vote for Fox Five Point Three, chosen because research indicated it was the best on the market at the time. If I recall correctly the contents are bagged inside the can and sprays at any angle. That's in addition to being one of the strongest pepper sprays available. Fox Labs claims this to be "Law Enforcement Formula".

Purchased from Amazon, don't recall the price, but several were purchased at the time. This is the 1.5 oz example.

7150C85D-06A2-4A15-8BC2-A1B34200586A.jpeg 49AE5CF6-2D93-438B-880E-77FD7AFD8641.jpeg

Last Edited:
Research. All righty then. My research was not on the internet.

My research has consisted of actually using OC over the past 18 years on the job. Been using Defense Technology (by Safariland) "First Defense" 360 (ballistic spray in a 1.3% formulation). Based on the results I've personally witnessed, my personal deployments of this product, and how many times I've been intentionally, accidentally or been the victim of collateral spray), I don't think there's anything better. This is a pretty standard LE/corrections (OC is used most often in jails and prisons) issue on the West Coast and throughout the country; I think those who've depended on this product will attest to its effectiveness.

Please do not buy OC you may have to depend upon on Amazon.
Saying don't buy on Amazon makes no sense to me. Why does it matter where you buy it? Both Pom and fox five point three have stronger OC percentage than the one you mentioned and both are available from amazon.

Saying don't buy on Amazon makes no sense to me. Why does it matter where you buy it? Both Pom and fox five point three have stronger OC percentage than the one you mentioned and both are available from amazon.
That seems strange to me too. I know a lot of people hate on Amazon and I sure do not like some of what Jeff does with my money. I long ago started using them as my go to since I was only punishing myself trying to find ways around them

Amazon is anti-gun. Amazon doesn't care about shelf-life. Did I mention that Amazon is rabidly anti-gun?

That seems strange to me too. I know a lot of people hate on Amazon and I sure do not like some of what Jeff does with my money. I long ago started using them as my go to since I was only punishing myself trying to find ways around them
Yea if not wanting to support Amazon I can see that but to imply a product is inferior if coming from Amazon that's different. It's the same product whether buying from brick and mortar store or Amazon.

Yea if not wanting to support Amazon I can see that but to imply a product is inferior if coming from Amazon that's different.
It's possibly outdated or close to. I do shop Amazon on occasion, but I also make a concerted attempt to spend my money elsewhere, even if it costs me more.

It's possibly outdated or close to. I do shop Amazon on occasion, but I also make a concerted attempt to spend my money elsewhere, even if it costs me more.
Who says so? Date is printed on the ones I got and it was not outdated in the slightest. With the volume they sell/turnover it may even be more likely a newer one would come from Amazon vs somewhere else.

Who says so? Date is printed on the ones I got and it was not outdated in the slightest. With the volume they sell/turnover it may even be more likely a newer one would come from Amazon vs somewhere else.
I didn't say they did, I said it's "possibly outdated". But given the choice to spend my money with a company that's not anti-gun, I'll choose that company nine times out of ten.

Amazon is also famous for having people return computer parts that are the wrong one. For example, someone will buy a 1TB hard drive, then return a smaller one of the same manufacturer. Amazon employees aren't paid enough to know or care, so they turn it around and sell it again.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top