JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My only experience was with "First defense" while I was in the USMC. Both on the user and receiver end. The stuff is effective. So much so that I would gladly take a taser over getting sprayed.

It's important to understand distances and the needle effect when using OC. Also ensure that your daughter understands that if she had to utilize it there is a high probability she is going to be contaminated as well.

It will suck but it may be wise to introduce her to OC in a controlled environment before she begins to carry it. That way she understands the feeling, symptoms, etc. and can learn to fight through it.

It's possibly outdated or close to. I do shop Amazon on occasion, but I also make a concerted attempt to spend my money elsewhere, even if it costs me more.
I have been buying OC from Jeff for a long time and have not yet had that happen to me. The Use By Date has always been years away. When one does "expire" I toss them in a box. Use them for others to practice with. Never had one seem weaker. Have always been told the formula does not lose anything, they are only worried about the pressure possibly going down. Of course when using the old ones for others to practice have not wanted to try spaying it on me :s0140:
Places like Amazon sell so much of this stuff seems like it would be fresh since they have high turnover.

Interesting how each of our research leads us to different results. My first choice is DPS Pepper Spray X-Treme Range, both for effective formula mixture and the longer distance it will spray. I prefer a fogger over a gel formula.
Here is a video that shows its range. There are other videos where people have subjected themselves to a variety of pepper sprays and then give their opinions on which was the most effective spray.

My only experience was with "First defense" while I was in the USMC. Both on the user and receiver end. The stuff is effective. So much so that I would gladly take a taser over getting sprayed.

It's important to understand distances and the needle effect when using OC. Also ensure that your daughter understands that if she had to utilize it there is a high probability she is going to be contaminated as well.

It will suck but it may be wise to introduce her to OC in a controlled environment before she begins to carry it. That way she understands the feeling, symptoms, etc. and can learn to fight through it.
Just don't be wearing contacts…

Just don't be wearing contacts…
Yea and wear underwear when you get in the shower to decontaminate.

You can watch all the videos on YouTube you want. Actually using it and having it sprayed directly in your eyes is a whole different ball game.

You gotta factor in location, distance, wind direction, physical contact, etc. it's not just point and shoot. Do it too close and you have the potential of damaging someone's eyes permanently. Use it in a scenario incorrectly and you will find yourself in court. Just cause it's non lethal doesn't mean it's a freebie either.

Yea and wear underwear when you get in the shower to decontaminate.

You can watch all the videos on YouTube you want. Actually using it and having it sprayed directly in your eyes is a whole different ball game.

You gotta factor in location, distance, wind direction, physical contact, etc. it's not just point and shoot. Do it too close and you have the potential of damaging someone's eyes permanently. Use it in a scenario incorrectly and you will find yourself in court. Just cause it's non lethal doesn't mean it's a freebie either.
Eh, depends on how protected class you are. I saw a video of a shoplifter who had sprayed a security guard at a store and she got off with nothing in court.

So I was the guy that originally said don't order OC from Amazon. I stand by that. Order directly from the manufacturer or a reputable distributor such as LAPG, Midway, Brownells, Galls, OfficerStore. You can get the stuff at prices equivalent to Amazon. **** Amazon.

Not only is Amazon not a friend of the RKBA, its sellers have counterfeit, old and/or near to expiration date products. If you're a hypocrite and don't care about your commitment to RKBA, go ahead, order from Amazon.

I chimed in to this thread as I have extensive experience using OC in the real world. I have probably used it myself, or been on the scene when OC was disseminated, at least 50 times in the past eighteen years. (Prior to that, as an MP, we used Mace, which was CS, not OC, not nearly as effective as good pepper spray). I have also been personally sprayed at least twenty times, either in training, inadvertently or as collateral damage when hands-on with a suspect. I've worked in corrections (jail) and on the street. I have been a firearms, defensive tactics, OC and TASER instructor as well as a tactical team member for two agencies.

My recommendation is, that if you're gonna carry OC, don't carry anything less than a Mark 4 size. While the MK 3 (1.47 ounce) size is small and convenient, you lose a lot of product capacity. The MK 4 has 3 ounces and gives you twice as much. Yeah, it's quite a bit bigger, but if you're gonna use OC on someone, don't just piss them off, make them suffer. MK 2 size (1 ounce) is purely pitiful. Don't even bother.

Also, if you need the stuff outdoors, you want the ballistic spray, not the fog. The ballistic spray has a good range, 10-12 feet.

And don't go below the 1.3% formulary. First Defense, Sabre, Fox Labs are all reputable.

But IMO, this is the best stuff on the market (get the 360)
https://lapolicegear.com/defense-technology-first-defense-mk4-oc-spray-aerosol.html

Last Edited:
Eh, depends on how protected class you are. I saw a video of a shoplifter who had sprayed a security guard at a store and she got off with nothing in court.
Just cause one person didn't get charged doesn't mean you won't.

If they sprayed a security guard then more than likely they were shoplifting. Obviously low life criminals are protected. But as a law abiding citizen who is using it to defend themselves your luck may not be as great.

We aren't talking about criminal turds here. We are talking about OC use in a self defense or potential self defense scenario…..

We know who the government protects.

Last Edited:
Thank you all. I'll be looking intio the products that have been recommended. I appreciate your opinions and sharing your research.

I have a Piexon LE (jpx2 Cobra) spray gun. It is usually deployed in prisons to subdue extremely aggressive inmates. Uses VERY expensive cartridges, however, the liquid pepper jet it's precised, laser guided, not being blown back to you...and will turn any angry 300 pound gorilla into a blind wimpering toddler calling for his momma, for about 45 minutes straight.

Kimber Pepper blaster 2 for your kid. I saw a big burly sheriff get hit by his own spray blowback when he tried to spray a pitbull on the other side of a fence during an eviction. Sheriff dropped to his knees and was crying out in pain much to his sgt's amusement. Good thing the dog was fenced. Would not want that to happen to a less experienced kid or little girl in an emergency. Kimber Pepper blaster is a gel, so that won't occur. You only get 2 shots which might be an issue - so maybe both spray and gel?

I don't think you can go wrong with...

Fox Labs
Sabre Red
POM

And if this is for a woman, consider buying something in a bright canister as opposed to black which easily gets lost in a dark purse. To that end, you want to buy them some type of holder that can be FIRMLY affixed to the inside of the purse somewhere...so the spray stays attached in a permanent location that she can easily locate in the dark, instead of it freely bouncing around in there. The inside of women's purses are nightmares.

I don't think you can go wrong with...

Fox Labs
Sabre Red
POM

And if this is for a woman, consider buying something in a bright canister as opposed to black which easily gets lost in a dark purse. To that end, you want to buy them some type of holder that can be FIRMLY affixed to the inside of the purse somewhere...so the spray stays attached in a permanent location that she can easily locate in the dark, instead of it freely bouncing around in there. The inside of women's purses are nightmares.
Good advice.

The POM I got my wife has a clip on it that I was very happy to see so she can clip it on an inside pocket so it's not visible but very accessible.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top