JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I love good BBQ, but I hate trying new places because I just end up disappointed, and I hate paying for a disappointing meal. Buster's is passable, but not great. Dave's is definitely better - we've had them cater events at work before and their brisket was really good - with or without sauce. And while I almost never get up to NE PDX, I may have to swing by sometime just to check Podnah's out.

What I find sad is when I start comparing restaurants to what my wife and I cook or BBQ at home.

Good food should be a staple not something you search for. You should be searching for holy crap that was amazing:D

recent trials:

Tin Roof down along I-5 a bit near Wilsonville
despite mostly good reviews & some of their samples my group had, I was disappointed with the brisket.
I'm another who prefers my BBQ 'neat' because if ya gotta hide it just what are you really eating anyway? While there are good/great sauces I don't care for any of them on anything anywhere, just to keep the actual product (MEAT!!!) as primary evidence of the skill of the cook.

Tin Roof may get a return visit some day but I ain't gonna be in a hurry.

Slick's BBQ in Wilsonville
on the other hand, this recent transplant from Newberg, gets my full vote/thumbs up award. Worth a try if you're looking

Albany
Enviable Bo-Macks now back down town again. Most excellent brisket wrangler for sure. And I even approve of a taste of their original sauce...not too much though.
Lost in their last couple moves about the area, is the most satisfying 'hush puppies' I've had. Perhaps with enough demand they will reinstate that selection.
I haven't delved into their other meats so much as I'm a brisket fan.

Coburg
There is a small cafe in Coburg that offers BBQ brisket sandwich. Get it with the sweet potato fries. Be hungry to start.

On the other hand, avoid the 'fish sandwich'. My Award for the Worst Fish Ever. Put me off so bad I avoided returning for a couple years. So bad I won't even post the name of the place....but if you are willing to dig around a bit, Main Street Coburg is pretty small. And get the BBQ.

Another worthy eclectic spot to consider is "Junk Yard Dogs" just south of the Harrisburg bridge a couple miles. Look up their website.

I've explored around the Central Oregon listed 'BBQ' joints. Have yet to find one worth praising, but open to enthusiastic referrals.

Last Edited:
My wife and I like Rib City off Mill Plain next to the ice rink. It's pretty good.
Their fried ocra is good.

When we lived in Kentucky the best BBQ place I ate at was in a gas station in the middle of nowhere.
Serious, hole in the wall gas station.

Man I hope that rib city place got better....

I went with some friends for lunch about 10 years ago and the only one of us that liked the food was the weirdo that didn't like what everyone else did lol - no offense meant, but Rib City was used as an insult many times

+1 for Slicks in Wilsonville. Good food and Slick is a heck of a nice guy!

Also, in WA I recommend Branks in Sumner. The beans are a meal all on their own!

If any of you enjoy a good chili, Podnah's has damn good all meat chili. I suggest just ordering a bowl, a cup is not enough.

It's probably still there even though it's been a good 8-9 years since I was last there (can y'all tell I eat out a whole bunch:p), there was a little cafe just east of the stop sign in Ridgefield that had brisket (or possible prime rib) chilli and it was incredible!

Pretty far out of the way but they had some unique dishes with high quality incredients.

one of the places I went to in the last few months did NOT have any 'cooking smells' coming from their outdoor cook shack. Their brisket tasted like the old song 'where there's liquid smoke there's a newsprint fire'---if you get my hint....

one of the best BBQ joints I've been is "Bad to the Bone" along I-10 somewhere between Beaumont Tx & Lafayette LA. Could relate an amusing little story here, don't have the time & it's off the point of BBQ.

My favorite places in TX to eat have picknic tables and the roll out a big sheet of butcher paper and just dump family sized portions on the table - then it's a free for all:rolleyes:

one of the best BBQ joints I've been is "Bad to the Bone" along I-10 somewhere between Beaumont Tx & Lafayette LA. Could relate an amusing little story here, don't have the time & it's off the point of BBQ.

This is my thread. I want to hear it.:D

Places I have eaten and recommend:

If you don't mind a drive.
Ranch House - West of Oly. So just about 2 hours from O.City. ;-)

SlabTown. NW PDX. Get there early. They make some and sell out. Any BBQ joint that has slow cooked food in the evening isn't really a good choice. Just my prejudice.

Pine Shed. Lake O.

Dickey's is a chain, they are pretty OK.

And search around NWFA - I think we have had this thread before.

WAYNO; this is 'just for you':

A 5 day road trip from PDX to Tampa left us 'mighty hongry' so we searched Rhoadda the Road bubblegum our faithful GPS looking for BBQ. Somewhere East of Beaumont we pulled onto the Frontage Road in a little strip mall in a run down section of the nearest town along that way. With the name "Bad to the Bone" we had to check it out....Large very high front windows & layout like an 1960s style grocery chain. Magnificent odeur d'Meat and a glass enclosed counter about 20' long of various cuts.

Shredded/pulled/sliced/rack/huge knobs of meat/chicken parts/pig parts/beef/etc. Sign said you could buy 'lunch #1' lunch #2' lunch #3' etc, describing all inclusions. Also you could buy it by the # or the serving. I quickly calculated it all out & the price came out the same no matter what you picked. Interesting.

Bare basic folding chairs/a few simple tables to the rear, a couple ratty booths along one wall. Most basic of napkin/ashtrays(!!!) & little else for restaurant furniture.

Couple of guys looking like near-clones of 'Mutt & Jeff' happy to serve the tourists.
Side dishes of proper Sothern Style, grits/greens/sweet potato fries/etc. No one else around.

They had long white aprons that showed the efforts of their day from all that shredding/pulling/slicing/etc. Never mind the scene from "Fargo" still fresh in my movie mind....

After devouring considerable portions the younger shorter one comes back & starts 'visiting'.....small talk, tattoos, disjointed time frame & little jokes with his buddy out front.....an odd accent, which he attributed to growing up in the Bronx & living in La prison the last 12 years.....

The time of day & lighting in the building etc started taking on a peculiar tone, somewhere between Gahan Wilson & Twilight Zone. The short one started sharpening his really big butcher knife, one of those with about 24" curved blade he said they used for the larger stuff.....I swear each stroke of the stone on the blade made his right eye bulge out just a little more....

his buddy came back & hinted they were about to close.....we pretty much excused ourselves etc and departed praising their cookery skills.....

Would I go back for the food? Yes. Do I know for sure what their trip was? Yes. I'm convinced it really WAS....."Bad to the Bone".

WAYNO; this is 'just for you':

A 5 day road trip from PDX to Tampa left us 'mighty hongry' so we searched Rhoadda the Road bubblegum our faithful GPS looking for BBQ. Somewhere East of Beaumont we pulled onto the Frontage Road in a little strip mall in a run down section of the nearest town along that way. With the name "Bad to the Bone" we had to check it out....Large very high front windows & layout like an 1960s style grocery chain. Magnificent odeur d'Meat and a glass enclosed counter about 20' long of various cuts.

Shredded/pulled/sliced/rack/huge knobs of meat/chicken parts/pig parts/beef/etc. Sign said you could buy 'lunch #1' lunch #2' lunch #3' etc, describing all inclusions. Also you could buy it by the # or the serving. I quickly calculated it all out & the price came out the same no matter what you picked. Interesting.

Bare basic folding chairs/a few simple tables to the rear, a couple ratty booths along one wall. Most basic of napkin/ashtrays(!!!) & little else for restaurant furniture.

Couple of guys looking like near-clones of 'Mutt & Jeff' happy to serve the tourists.
Side dishes of proper Sothern Style, grits/greens/sweet potato fries/etc. No one else around.

They had long white aprons that showed the efforts of their day from all that shredding/pulling/slicing/etc. Never mind the scene from "Fargo" still fresh in my movie mind....

After devouring considerable portions the younger shorter one comes back & starts 'visiting'.....small talk, tattoos, disjointed time frame & little jokes with his buddy out front.....an odd accent, which he attributed to growing up in the Bronx & living in La prison the last 12 years.....

The time of day & lighting in the building etc started taking on a peculiar tone, somewhere between Gahan Wilson & Twilight Zone. The short one started sharpening his really big butcher knife, one of those with about 24" curved blade he said they used for the larger stuff.....I swear each stroke of the stone on the blade made his right eye bulge out just a little more....

his buddy came back & hinted they were about to close.....we pretty much excused ourselves etc and departed praising their cookery skills.....

Would I go back for the food? Yes. Do I know for sure what their trip was? Yes. I'm convinced it really WAS....."Bad to the Bone".

Do you remember the punch line to the movie, "Fried Green Tomatoes"?:eek:

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top