JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have we ever talked about this?

BBQ is certainly territorial. Folks have their favorite, and we're not gonna convince anybody to change.

If you've ever had BBQ in Kansas City or Texas, you know that their BBQ is pretty great. It has to be to compete, as BBQ joints back there are on every corner.

Busters. Mediocre, but available, A dinner for the two of us is $36. Portions are small, so there's no left overs.

Then there's Famous Daves. Maybe a tad bit better, or maybe I should say just a little different than Busters, but the same meal there is 50-bucks. That's not cheap. And also no left overs.

I went to Podnah's today for lunch. 2nd time I've been there. Total price for two of us was 44-dollars, and there was enough food left over for dinner tonight. It is the best BBQ I've had in this area, and I think it's every bit as good as what I've eaten in Kansas City.

There have been a few other BBQ joints in Lincoln City that were good, but none of them ever stayed in business.

Do you have a favorite to suggest?

WAYNO.

A different region altogether, but if you find yourself in Post Falls, Idaho (just across the border from WA on I-90) you won't find better Texas BBQ in these parts than Famous Willy's. Just got back from dinner there (and still licking sauce out of my 'stache). The Missus and I shared the Rancher's Deluxe Plate with a variety of meats (beef brisket, sausage, chicken, pork shoulder). The beef is melt-in-your-mouth good. The sides are great as well. They have Shiner Bock, Texas-style Frito Pies, and (usually) peach cobbler for dessert. The staff is very friendly.

Going back tomorrow for lunch with a buddy. On sunny days you can sit outside at picnic tables. Can't stay away from Willy's.

Podnah's is as good it gets around here.
I have been to Lockhart, TX and spent a day eating BBQ there. And the drive back to San Antonio.
There are a lot of places that pass food off as BBQ. But its not. Also, if you gotta use a bunch of sauce on "BBQ". What the hell you hiding underneath all that sauce?

Podnah's is as good it gets around here.
I have been to Lockhart, TX and spent a day eating BBQ there. And the drive back to San Antonio.
There are a lot of places that pass food off as BBQ. But its not. Also, if you gotta use a bunch of sauce on "BBQ". What the hell you hiding underneath all that sauce?

I agree exactly. I never put BBQ sauce on my BBQ meat or steak sauce on a steak until I discover it needs some help. So, please put no BBQ sauce on my food.

At Podnah's today, I did not use one drop of BBQ sauce on anything. But the honey was sure good on my corn bread.:)

Stay away from jazzy jeffs...

If the owner ran it it would have tanked by now but by some miracle he hired a great staff.

I was tentative about giving them business but there are few options.

The last time I was there a customer called to complain about the copious amount of fat on the brisket (something I had to learn to ask to have removed...) and when I asked the manager about it he said that's how the owner wants it sliced.

No sooner had the owner hung up but then proceeded to bash the caller as an idiot to the point that I couldn't handle it anymore and walked up and got in the owners face and said real quietly that I had repeatedly had that very same issue and I wouldn't be back ever. That was 5-6 years ago - no idea how they stay open with their prices.

The couple really good places have moved around and BBQ isn't really on my menu anymore.

I can eat daves naturally sweet BBQ sauce and just being able to put that on chicken is like a slice of heaven for me now.

The old Campbell's on SE Powell was pretty good and not too expensive. The owners son moved over near NE 42nd & Sandy Blvd and got rave reviews, but his joint just burned down the other night before I got a chance to try it.

Funny you mentioned Campbell's, and I never knew they moved.

I only tried them one time. We were ignored and never seated. It was like I was in the Twilight Zone. Finally we just left.

Funny you mentioned Campbell's, and I never knew they moved.

I only tried them one time. We were ignored and never seated. It was like I was in the Twilight Zone. Finally we just left.

The old man passed away some years ago and his son finally got his act together and opened a new pit at an old Dairy Queen location.

The old Campbell's on SE Powell was pretty good and not too expensive. The owners son moved over near NE 42nd & Sandy Blvd and got rave reviews, but his joint just burned down the other night before I got a chance to try it.

That was Reo's. He is Snoop Doggs uncle actually.
He used to have a place out in Hillsburrtio. Then had a place on Powell. I ate at the Powell restaurant. Once. It was terrible.

Campbells was pretty good.
One of my kids plays soccer with a Campbells family kid. The parent is always trying to get me to buy some BBQ sauce.

I went to Podnah's today for lunch. 2nd time I've been there. Total price for two of us was 44-dollars, and there was enough food left over for dinner tonight. It is the best BBQ I've had in this area, and I think it's every bit as good as what I've eaten in Kansas City.
Yep, Podnah's is the authentic stuff.
Reverend's in Sellwood was very good.
Matt's is a food cart and gets rave reviews.
Shelby's in Washougal was very good as well.

Brisket is my litmus test.

He used to have a place out in Hillsburrtio. Then had a place on Powell. I ate at the Powell restaurant. Once. It was terrible.

Campbells was pretty good.
One of my kids plays soccer with a Campbells family kid. The parent is always trying to get me to buy some BBQ sauce.

You're right, I was trying to remember the gist of a Willamette Week article I read lately that referenced both of them.

He used to have a place out in Hillsburrtio. Then had a place on Powell. I ate at the Powell restaurant. Once. It was terrible..
Yea, I think that was a suspicious fire..
I had some of his ribs when he had that shack on Macadam.. before they shut him down because of the smell/smoke. lol
I felt sick after the first rib and it was like thirty bucks for the tiniest portions and it was terrible. so smoky and charred it gave you a sour stomach before you swallowed the first bite and I have a pretty tough stomach.
Never heard of Podnas.. have to check it out..

I was born in Kansas so if someone can point me to BBQ in Vancouver that good I would probably make that owner rich personally. :D

My wife and I like Rib City off Mill Plain next to the ice rink. It's pretty good.
Their fried ocra is good.

When we lived in Kentucky the best BBQ place I ate at was in a gas station in the middle of nowhere.
Serious, hole in the wall gas station.

Yep, Podnah's is the authentic stuff.
Reverend's in Sellwood was very good.
Matt's is a food cart and gets rave reviews.
Shelby's in Washougal was very good as well.

Brisket is my litmus test.

I have had Reverend's. We were super excited. It was Ok. I sent the gumbo back. They had burnt the roux when making the pot.
We make gumbo from scratch here at home, so we are experienced with what a burnt roux tastes like. Unfortunately that set the tone for the rest of the food.

Yea, I think that was a suspicious fire..
I had some of his ribs when he had that shack on Macadam.. before they shut him down because of the smell/smoke. lol
I felt sick after the first rib and it was like thirty bucks for the tiniest portions and it was terrible. so smoky and charred it gave you a sour stomach before you swallowed the first bite and I have a pretty tough stomach.
Never heard of Podnas.. have to check it out..

Ya i saw it was suspicious.
I had a similar experience with Reo's. To me it actually made me burp and when doing so it tasted heavily of liquid smoke.

Lol. I totally forgot about the Macadam location. I was hoping he would win that battle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top