JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I went to Podnah's for lunch today.
Bowl of chili with some cornbread.

It was excellent as usual. I really should eat there more often as its only a 12 minute drive from work.

There is no good bbq joints in the Northwest after you have eaten at bbq joints on Music Row in Nashville, downtown Memphis, Kansas City, and some back woods shack in rural Alabama.

Saying that I do know a few guys who can make some killer BBQ you will never be able to buy.

There is no good bbq joints in the Northwest after you have eaten at bbq joints on Music Row in Nashville, downtown Memphis, Kansas City, and some back woods shack in rural Alabama.

Saying that I do know a few guys who can make some killer BBQ you will never be able to buy.

Yea, learning the art and spending the hours will net you well above what you can purchase up here.

Good BBQ is like a good tattoo though... it's all in the detail and in the eye of the beholder.

I've never cooked ribs or brisket that didn't get demolished (I have to cut up some leftovers before I serve it or I won't get any the next day). Took some trial and error at first though when I started in my early 20's.

Good greens and pinto beans are the same deal but less to learn. Bacon normally helps;).

If it has liquid smoke it is gross and if you cook it in the oven part of the time its pot roast not BBQ.

Sweetstreet food cart. Used to be at MLK & Lombard. He moved, dunno if still in biz or not. Great meats, good pecan pie, great corn bread.

Dickys is okish. Nothing great. Too ecpensive for what you get. Their fried okra i am pretty sure is frozen and then fried :( the mac n cheese likewise seems bland and premade.

I liked Rib City when it was in beaverton. Was better than Daves or Busters.

Dukes in Hillsboro was good.

Once in a while McDonalds has this thing called McRib if you really need a fix :p

I like good brisket which is damn hard to find in Oregon. So I typically opt for chicken, hot links, or pulled pork. I don't mind sauce as long as it is good. I actually like good saucy bbq so long as the meat is done right. But brisket is best done by itself and dipped into sauce if it needs it. Beef should not be slathered unless its a burger...

Brisket and ribs are the mark of master bbq joints - anyone can smoke or grill chicken and pork but brisket and ribs have to be done right or its pretty bad.

Not anywhere near here so a day trip is out, but Sonnies in Charelston SC. Is hands down the best I've ever had.
There was a place just up river from Florence that mama and I stopped at 8 months back that was old school great, right down to the soda.
Any members down that way know the name? Excellent grub.

"Pop's Smokehouse"?? haven't been there yet

Yes sir, that's it. A new owner has taken it over and he's the real deal. I spent about a half hour with him at his smoker out back and he has every reason to be proud of his wares.
He also showed me the tracks in the snow where a cougar had walked circles around his smoker the night before.
If your down around that way it's well worth the side trip up the river 12 miles.

Highest recommendations to another Florence restaurant, a small place so good it's worth making the trip just to lunch or dinner there: La Pomodori

"La Pomodori" perhaps my own favorite of the "Top 3" on the coast;

What this thread represents is not just 'BBQ' but our individual preferences. Because actually ~decent~ BBQ is so hard to find in my travels, I have assembled a small list of ever-reliably GREAT alternate choices.

Great dinner for 2 for under $50 including coffee/wine/desert is a most worthy find.

I don't know where to eat since Gene Porter at Dixies in Bellevue died. Probably downed a few pounds of "The Man" myself. That stuff had you remembering it for days as it worked its way out of your system.

Years/decades ago we'd combine a trip to Seattle original REI with a meal at "Boondocks/Sundowner/Greenthumbs" or some such fabulous name. Trendy place with a 32 page menu, each of which had multiple really great entrees. Did that for about a decade then the place closed for unknown reasons. You could sit at counter watching what I regarded as 'gourmet cooks' preparing all sorts of seafood specialties.

I don't know where to eat since Gene Porter at Dixies in Bellevue died. Probably downed a few pounds of "The Man" myself. That stuff had you remembering it for days as it worked its way out of your system.

I never did get to eat at Dixies. Although i had a friend in the Seattle area get me some of the "Man" sauce and ship it to me.
While it did not bother me to much, i will admit it did have some heat with it.(I eat spicey stuff that melts metal)
Funny story about the "Man" sauce. I had it in the fridge one new years eve, and it was our turn to host the party amongst our social circle. Several beers had been consumed. I then remembered that i had the "Man" in the fridge. I offered it up for some trials. The guys know i eat melt your face spicey stuff, but always try to keep up with me. So after some good natured man jokes and bullchittin about who was going to try it first. We got it on. I took my sample like a man. One guy started crying. Another started burping and then farting at the same time. And the other one immediately reached into the fridge for the milk. Meanwhile the wives and girlfriends were on the floor laughing at the whole thing.

Last Edited:
Just got accused of being a sick boy by fully dipping my shrimp in a pretty good hot sauce at an open air shrimp shack (I forget the name) on Oahu by some folks I didn't know, amazed they were!
All that aside, when it comes to smoked/BBQ'd meats it takes a really good sauce to make me even consider using it.
Damn I loves me a really good Q.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads