Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ballistics Software??

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by ZeroRing, Apr 13, 2009.

1. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

Anyone have any experience with a ballistics software package that you'd care to share your thoughts on?

I've found several "online" web-based ballistics sites but what I am looking for is a stand alone package that doesn't require an internet connection to use.

A couple that I have looked at are the Sierra Infinity Suite and the Load From A Disk package. The Sierra package seems to have a lot of reviews saying that the interface is old and doesn't function very well. The Load From a Disk package seems to have restrictive powders that it works with...

Any others out there that any of you folks have used? :thumbup:

2. rayd8

rayd8 Formerly Portland, now Alabama! Member

3. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

Have experience with a couple of them...not too thrilled with what I've used so far. Most are a challenge with user interface (hope I said this right I'm not a computer guy)...they are often difficult to navigate and inputing.

The Sierra program is the bellweather of all the programs. I don't own this program but know several who do...they are very pleased with it other than the inputting challenges which seem to be typical for these programs. The Sierra is on my short list to get.

4. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

I have the Sierra and it awesome. If you want to know more just ask.

5. ZeroRing

That's what I've heard regarding the Sierra...

But I've also read that it's not had an update in a LONG time and as such the user interface is real cumbersome to navigate. It's too bad they don't offer a demo version for folks to check out prior to spending an entire Benjamin on it. :eek:

6. Bend

Bend Central OR Member

I've been using it for a few years. The user interface is not intuitve at all. The major grip I have with it is that you can not cut and paste the charts/tables at all. Also, the time-of-flight does not factor in the wind.

http://www.pejsa.com/

Has a good reputation but is getting old also.

ETA: More discussion on another board:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/67/page/1

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  7. Randini

Randini Salem Member

8. ZeroRing

9. therifleman

therifleman kennewick Member

I love x bal from nightforce. If you put in the right information it will give you the right information back. The only thing with any of them is that the true ballistic coefficient of a bullet is really tough to figure. Dont hope for perfect results from them instead build your own range card and tape it to your stock for instant access. Shooting out to a grand takes a lot of practice and all a program will do is put you in the same sip code. After that its all on your on shoulders.