JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The best way is to get a chronograph and get the data for your set up.
Then you can plug in the data to whatever ballistic app you use.

At the moment I just search for the ammo and barrel length data that others are getting.
I'm looking at getting a magnetospeed to get my own data.
For ballistic apps I like Strelok+, that one has most scope reticles for hold overs and such.

I also prefer Hornady. I find it very accurate compared to my loads, and was pretty much spot on with drops from 0 to 100 yards when calculated out to 300 yards.

I downloaded the Hornady app on my phone but havent used it yet. Seemes overly complicated but I need to sit down with it and give it a try. I dont really need a phone app though...

For what I need is at home on my computer, i just want to plug in my actual muzzle velocity to see what thi gs are out to ranges I want to hunt at to compare to the minimum velocity my projectile is rated for.
I tried a couple differw websites and got slightly different numbers so I got suspicious. Seems like they would all match exactly.

It's pretty simple once you got all your info in there. This is just an example.

EDBE6943-A5D8-4F84-BBB0-2C0CE78947AE.png 96A73E6E-1B68-457D-B424-47296892814B.png DC1E298B-C4A1-4299-8600-B41E0E6C9C26.png

I tried a couple different websites and got slightly different numbers so I got suspicious. Seems like they would all match exactly.
Some online ballistic calculators don't account for plastic tips (e.g. Berger's calculator) while some do (JBM). That will account for some difference between calculators. But the most common reason for differences is small oversights in inputs or having something toggled on/off by mistake.

Applied ballistic app for me. Although I have used many different shooting tables and apps. All of the data needs to be verified, checked and tweaked. No app in my mind is dead on accurate without some adjustments and testing

Applied ballistic app for me.
On my phone, I have gravitated towards Applied Ballistics also (I also like Ballistic AE). I like the interface of Applied Ballistics app and the option for custom drag models (CDM) for some bullets. But as the comments here show, for phone apps there are a number of good options that will produce good results.

The OP was primarily interested in computer/online models. For that, I use JBM Ballistics as noted above. The number of resources out there are impressive. You can also find spreadsheet-based ballistic models, if you want the flexibility of running and configuring things in your own documents.

The OP was primarily interested in computer/online models. For that, I use JBM Ballistics as noted above.
I was but im also enjoying the tips on phone apps on the side. I just havent had the time to check them out close enough. Over the holiday break im hoping to sit down over this thread and try some of the computer models and if I like others better and check the consistency, some phone apps mentioned here too.

I was using a ballistic calculator to project some velocities and energy at distance and was finding some differences or variations between different sources.
Koda, will you be engaging at target beyond 600 to 800yds? Most apps work relatively good up to that point. Beyond that point and you got some work to do?

Koda, will you be engaging at target beyond 600 to 800yds? Most apps work relatively good up to that point. Beyond that point and you got some work to do?
Maybe in the future but right now my needs are 500yds or less. Right now I just want to know what my velocities are out to 500yds.

500 or less dang near any ballistic program will do. I'd personally shoot groups at 100,200,300,400 and 500yds myself. Keep track of click mil or moa and start there.

I have encountered 1 NF scope that did not track exact to the value of clicks so something like that can affect you also. Different chronos can read different. So many variable but you will do great

500 or less dang near any ballistic program will do. I'd personally shoot groups at 100,200,300,400 and 500yds myself. Keep track of click mil or moa and start there.

I have encountered 1 NF scope that did not track exact to the value of clicks so something like that can affect you also. Different chronos can read different. So many variable but you will do great
For right now i just need to know my velocities out to 500 so I can know the range my bullet will perform. Ill worry about drop later. Im using actual MV from my rifle to calculate from. My chrono is new so hopefully its close enough.

Once im done with load development I will order a custome elevation turret for holdover for my handload. I dont see myself hunting past 500yds but maybe if I ever get that good.

So I checked out 4 of the web calculators mentioned here and found them pretty close, in short I probably dont need to worry about which one to use for my needs....

I still think its odd they do deviate even just a little bit but some are pretty basic input data and others are more complex. There is one that stood out considerably higher than the other three and that's Federal's calculator.
For all 4 I entered the same data then compared the velocity and energy at 300yds. The extreme spread between them was 58fps and 68ft lbs... but that's mostly because of the noticeably higher results Federal returned. When I left out Federals data, the extreme spread was 15fps and 19ft lbs.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top