JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
ive carried ALICE packs (unmodified) and they're designed for the average sized 19 y.o. and miserable to carry if anything more than 35 pounds. I'm still amazed anyone mentions them as an option and wonder if they've even tried anything else or ever carried one!, YMMV..
Yeah; the frame sucks for most people. The kidney pad sucks for most people. The shoulder straps, depends on the generation, usually sucks for the older ones with the short pads, and are OK for the longer pad ones... but the bags themselves are pretty good, bit heavy but simple to load. Better frames, better suspension, makes things easier. Same pocket layout but more modern materials and internal frame, like the Helikon Tek Matilda.. seems to be pretty popular and good. There are some people for whom the original frame size works but they're in the minority.

They however are excellent as vehicle bags hanging off a rack, hooks, cleats or stashed in the inside of vehicle. Not so much for actual backpacking though.

If you haven't got one yet Salem summit company has many packs in stock and in the past has had many on sale. I got my last pack off the clearance rack for half price. You can check out the website.

Packs are such a personal fit thing, I mostly day hunt with smaller packs. I love my 5.11 Rush, I love my Badlands daypack. My experience has been that durability comes at the cost of a little more weight. No free lunch.

The kitanica scorpion pack looks kinda nice. It's just funded on kick starter but I like the concept. Was never into the fanny pack sorta deal but this looks like utilitarian back support I like its expandability. I know its not exactly what the OP was looking for but this looks like a good thread for a aggregate of info on bags.

10ec123f-bda6-411c-b00d-be987988534a.png

Hill People Gear makes nice stuff. I also like Mystery Ranch. Both companies make stuff which holds up very well.

I have a Scree 32 I just love. I also have a Tarahumara pack I have used for many years. Both are very well made. I have been looking at a Junction and an Umlindi. Maybe one day.

Last Edited:
I'm tired of these cheapo packs! Seams ripping, zippers failing only after 2 or 3 uses.
I'm looking for a "military style " with molle webbing and can be used in a get home or bug out situation, but mainly for a fishing/ daytrip pack.

What do you have that has held up?
The best of the best, it was cancelled but they heard the cries, listened and brought it back...
Kifaru X-Ray

Check out Equilibrium USG

I found this Army Veteran owned company at Rose City Comic Con a few years ago.

I've had one of their bags since 2018. It's my go to carry on when traveling cross country, as well as trips to the coast.

It's comfortable and can be reconfigured.

In my experience kifaru, MR, Eberlestock are all in the same league.
Recently; Eagle Industries, Mystery Ranch, Eberlestock, and a few other big name outdoors companies have begun production of their retail commercial items in Vietnam, Peru, and Taiwan. Vietnam seems to have a dedicated backpack/outdoors gear production facility that produce stuff for several companies, Eberlestock and MR included.

Kifaru, Pocket Up, The Hidden Woodsman, Fire Force Tactical (supposedly..) and very few other companies still make everything in the US.

Recently; Eagle Industries, Mystery Ranch, Eberlestock, and a few other big name outdoors companies have begun production of their retail commercial items in Vietnam, Peru, and Taiwan. Vietnam seems to have a dedicated backpack/outdoors gear production facility that produce stuff for several companies, Eberlestock and MR included.

Kifaru, Pocket Up, The Hidden Woodsman, Fire Force Tactical (supposedly..) and very few other companies still make everything in the US.
Not sure about Eberlestock, but I think some MR has a cheaper line made overseas. I think their premium stuff is still made here.

Hill People Gear also is worth a mention for great American made packs.

It doesn't matter to me personally if a company makes a few things elsewhere as long as it isn't China. That doesn't take away from the quality of their American made stuff.

Not sure about Eberlestock, but I think some MR has a cheaper line made overseas. I think their premium stuff is still made here.

Hill People Gear also is worth a mention for great American made packs.
I looked it up. Also was recently at Sportsmans Warehouse where MR packs are now sold. MR packs there all had "Made in Vietnam" tags, Eberlestock, looked it up and turns out yup, most of their stuff is now VN made, started 10 years ago. Blackhawk Industries /Blackhawk Products Group moved production from Chesapeake VA to Korea 20 years ago, then to Vietnam 10 or so years ago. Eagle Industries started having stuff made in Peru I think. By the by, in the 70s-1980s or so,( before the Berry Amendment I think?) It was possible to get USGI stuff that wasn't made in any of the 50 States, but was "made in the US" by way of either Puerto Rico or Guam.

I looked it up. Also was recently at Sportsmans Warehouse where MR packs are now sold. MR packs there all had "Made in Vietnam" tags, Eberlestock, looked it up and turns out yup, most of their stuff is now VN made, started 10 years ago. Blackhawk Industries /Blackhawk Products Group moved production from Chesapeake VA to Korea 20 years ago, then to Vietnam 10 or so years ago. Eagle Industries started having stuff made in Peru I think. By the by, in the 70s-1980s or so,( before the Berry Amendment I think?) It was possible to get USGI stuff that wasn't made in any of the 50 States, but was "made in the US" by way of either Puerto Rico or Guam.
:s0092:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads