JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sort of based on the Lowe and other companies versions of the Klettersack, and sort of inspired by the ARVN rucksacks with the two large outer pockets...
20" tall, 14" wide at base tapering to 12" wide at top, roughly 7 inches deep, with a bottom bisection of an irregular hexagon with 4" short sides, 5" angled sides, 6" center distance and 14" long side
1000D bottom and back panel
500D main panel
Minimal MOLLE for just the Sustainment pockets
Two 2" lash tabs on bottom for bed rolls, pads, or sleeping bags.
Uses Medium MOLLE/DEI 1609 open perimeter frame
Not sure if I should add storm collar and drawcord closure on the main body under the lid.. the lid itself has gutted paracord and two barrel locks to keep it tight against the main body. Definitely will add a grab handle when I can. Planning to either sew up a 4" wide MOLLE/ruck belt in 500D woodland, or go stupid simple ALICE inspired with a trampoline kidney pad and 2 web belt sides.
It has a 5.5"×5.5" 3/8" closed cell foam for the nape area between frame pockets, and that pocket is able to hold flat items and probably phone. Pictures are in no particular order. This replaces my ALICE packs and the 2,000ci MOLLE pack of my making, since its smaller and lighter and in camo :s0033: Wife is using the 1,700CI low profile coyote brown backpack for our trips to the parents.
I do plan on changing out the lower QR buckle systems on the straps for a set of real lightweight pieces from OV Innovations, unless I decide to make my own, which requires 1" oval loops and Size 20 brass snaps in black, for which I don't have snap setting tools :( 20201201_222253.jpg 20201201_222227.jpg 20201201_222707.jpg 20201201_222315.jpg 20201201_222759.jpg 20201201_222744.jpg 20201201_222137.jpg 20201201_222201.jpg 20201201_222153.jpg 20201201_222214.jpg

Oh hell yeah. I just use the assault pack the USMC issued me over a decade ago. It has been through a lot and it's STILL good to go. I just added my own designated MOLLE pouches for various things.

Oh hell yeah. I just use the assault pack the USMC issued me over a decade ago. It has been through a lot and it's STILL good to go. I just added my own designated MOLLE pouches for various things.
I'm just not a fan of zippers and having so many compartments or divided main compartment. ;) I liked the Medium ALICE's main compartment, which is similar to this one. But I dislike the metal ALICE frames. This 1609/Medium MOLLE frame works great, although the MOLLE ii belt is a bit overkill for this size/expected weight

Still undecided with regards to the waist belt/kidney pad ideas, but added a grab handle after relocating D rings closer to center up top, and added eyelets for gutted paracord drawcord so that the top can hold stuff in well within the large lid. Haven't decided if I want an under lid pocket or not. Shown filled up next to a filled Med ALICE pack on frame. This woodland bag is a little larger than the Med ALICE but feels better. 20201204_145753.jpg 20201204_145824.jpg 20201204_145647.jpg 20201204_145719.jpg 20201204_145847.jpg 20201204_145627.jpg

Still undecided with regards to the waist belt/kidney pad ideas, but added a grab handle ....

I think a lot of it will depend on your load out and how far you plan on going.

This year I built a lightweight "battle belt" and I would still be able to get to my handgun, but accessing anything else on the belt would be challenging with a waist belt. My belt is 3 pistol mags, 2 rifle mags, knife, IFAK and a dump pouch. I chose to go with 3 pistol mags as I am running a .308 rifle so 1 mag in the gun and 2 on the belt is 75 rds. I have a total of 4, 22rd 9mm mags.

On the flip side, if you are going to be carrying much of a load for very long the waist belt is a life saver..........

I appreciate the share. Seeing others set ups helps.

Question.

Are you rural? I only ask as camouflage walking through a city is a target in my opinion. Then again any opinion of future possibilities is pure speculation anyways.

I think a lot of it will depend on your load out and how far you plan on going.

This year I built a lightweight "battle belt" and I would still be able to get to my handgun, but accessing anything else on the belt would be challenging with a waist belt. My belt is 3 pistol mags, 2 rifle mags, knife, IFAK and a dump pouch. I chose to go with 3 pistol mags as I am running a .308 rifle so 1 mag in the gun and 2 on the belt is 75 rds. I have a total of 4, 22rd 9mm mags.

On the flip side, if you are going to be carrying much of a load for very long the waist belt is a life saver..........

Grab/drag handles are a must.

Question.

Are you rural? I only ask as camouflage walking through a city is a target in my opinion. Then again any opinion of future possibilities is pure speculation anyways.
Not really, Albany isn't "rural" with >50,000 residents but... camo gear and tactical bags are practically everywhere due to a lot of hunters and the like. My main concern is that the pack belt might interfere with my LBE gear. I do have larger packs that can carry a lot more gear but this bag replaces my med alice and few others for few days/get home supplies.

I think most anything goes now days for a gray man carry bag. The world has become so diverse that nothing seems to stand out. The rule of thumb is look around you and try to look like them. Everyone has a different surrounding. You can overdo the gray man look and look too ordinary and draw attention also.

Question.

Not sure about down there, but he would blend in with the homeless just fine around here. There could be some benefit to appearing that way, or mentally unstable. People don't really mess with those folks.

I think I shall call it good for now. Might modify the minimalist belt to have removable/pull forward webbing sections instead of whats on there. Waist belt is simply 3.5" webbing folded over, and with 1" straps done up like MOLLE Ruck belt straps; for a trampoline effect. 1.5" main belt sections just to stabilize the pack. Also sewn up a pair of 1.5" wide pad/sleep bag straps with Tan 499 buckles; since the lash tabs have enough space for them. I know, I could have used 1" straps but I like the wider straps for their ability to spread the pressure better on the lash tabs and on the items to compress. This bag is shown loaded up for an overnight at my parents house, with wife and my clothes, a pillow, bathroom/grooming stuff in one sustainment pouch, and towels for two in the other sustainment pouch. The trampoline belt feels decent 20201212_163308.jpg 20201212_163303.jpg 20201212_163212.jpg 20201212_163639.jpg 20201212_163628.jpg 20201212_163157.jpg

Man your stuff looks durable and professionally built. You do this for a living? Packs, range bags, soft cases have all skyrocketed in price over the last number of years, seriously tripled or quadrupled in price.

Man your stuff looks durable and professionally built. You do this for a living? Packs, range bags, soft cases have all skyrocketed in price over the last number of years, seriously tripled or quadrupled in price.
Not really. I've never sold a backpack/bag. Only shooting gear like MOLLE pouches, belt pouches, Hi Point 995 20rd magazine carriers, chest rigs for those, MOLLE chest rig platform, shotgun cards.. did sell a custom made plate carrier but thats been the only one I ever sold.

So, my wife packed the woodland bag with her stuff, and I packed my coyote brown bag from this thread https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/made-a-low-profile-alice-molle-pack.325339/ with my stuff; we packed for 4 days and 3 nights at my parents' ; both bags have 2 each Sustainment Pouches, only the coyote bag has no frame and only a set of Tactical Tailor super straps in OD. The woodland one has the whole frame and ALICE belt and self-made webbing belt/trampoline panel. They are rather similar in size, with the woodland one being a little bit bigger all around. When my coyote brown Down East Inc frame with High Performance Pad set arrives, and the Coyote brown Tactical Tailor strap set arrives, I will likely do a photo shoot of the three custom MOLLE backpacks I've made so far, as comparisons... I might sew up 2 coyote brown pouches that are similar to the sustainment pouches but fits the 1,700ci bag's molle better than the Eagle ones. 20201222_191635.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top