JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've got a stone glacier for a meat pack, and a few different 5.11 tactical bags. I did have to repair a little on one of the 5.11 bags, the strap needed sewing.
You said, "meat pack".

I've got a handful of the SOG black ones that have Molle in them. I want to say the model is Ninja. I've beaten the crap out of one for years and it still keeps going.

This one.

SOG Ninja Tactical Day Pack
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YY9MKMY/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_K7C79YQBQ7HFKMQGXYH9
These have worked out well for me, too. I have two of these, one in "Olive Drab Green" and one in "Desert Clay".

Here's a link with more color options:

I'm tired of these cheapo packs! Seams ripping, zippers failing only after 2 or 3 uses.
I'm looking for a "military style " with molle webbing and can be used in a get home or bug out situation, but mainly for a fishing/ daytrip pack.

What do you have that has held up?
My 5.11 Rush 72 has been it's worth in value. It has handled two and a half gallons of milk biking from the store. It has been my bug out bag, gun range bag fitting my AR-15 inside in two pieces, and camera bag on hikes. And it is still getting me places.

5.11 Rush 72 works well as a regular pack. Eberlestock seems great but I've never spent that money.

Military surplus can be good for overly built backpacks.

Mystery Ranch
Tactical Tailor
Spec Ops old stuff
ALICE
MOLLE II-woodland/DCU
ILBE
Lowe Alpine (Dutch milsurp)
The Hidden Woodsmen
Pocket Up
RTS Outdoors

I see SO MANY FILBE main bags needing ridiculous amounts of repairs... too many broken /cracked FILBE frames. Can't really recommend them.

So far I've had very good experiences with 5.11, Vertx, Eberlestock, and SOG. Haven't had any of them die on me yet. The 5.11 has seen 10+ years of use, the SOG about 7, the Vertx around 3, and the Eberlestock about a year. Below are my observations on each, though your mileage may vary.

The Eberlestock I haven't had the chance to put through the paces yet, but appears extremely durable and well suited to lengthy hiking / outdoors use. It came with a belt that has lumbar support, and the height at which the shoulder straps attach to the bag are adjustable to fit your torso length. It's spendy, but worth it in my opinion if you're needing an ergonomic and adjustable hiking pack.

Vertx is another company offering higher-end bags designed with concealed carry / firearms transportation in mind. Their bags have a discreet / non-tactical appearance, generally have loop backing in most main compartments for velcro-based pouches and holsters, and the rear-most compartment is usually a rapid-deployment space - swing the bag across your chest and yank on the pull tab to access the compartment with your weapon. The interior is a contrasting color (i.e. tan) to make it easy to see contents in low light conditions. If you need rapid weapon access, it's hard to go wrong with a Vertx.

5.11 makes a good workhorse backpack. They tend to be more tactical looking, but very durable and functional. Mine has held up to quite a bit of torture in the last decade - it's scuffed up but still fully functional.

My SOG backpack was the cheapest of the lot (found it at a Ross of all places for $25), and it's been my all-purpose band bag since 2015. Used it to haul heavy loads of guitar effects pedals, instrument cables, laptops, and other electronics to hundreds of gigs and on multiple tours. Surprisingly rugged for the price, and everything is still functional as the day I got it. Not sure if that was the exception or the rule, as I've only had the one bag, but I figure if it can survive the rigors of a working musician's life, it can survive anything.

Hope this helps!

I'm tired of these cheapo packs! Seams ripping, zippers failing only after 2 or 3 uses.
I'm looking for a "military style " with molle webbing and can be used in a get home or bug out situation, but mainly for a fishing/ daytrip pack.

Find the oldest JanSport that you can - with the leather bottom. For biking, I just picked up an Ogio VR46 (Valentino Rossi) backpack in nuclear Hi-viz/black. An unbelievable deal at only $20 delivered.

Second or turd on the ALICE pack. Medium. With frame which you can use or not use. You can throw enough stuff in there for a weeks worth of adventure. Molly isn't in my wheelhouse but I bet you can adopt and overcome.

I have been using a direct action dragon egg for approximately 6 years and it shows minimal wear. I am really hard on backpacks and aside from not being able to fit my large work laptop, this thing has worked amazingly for all manners of outdoor activity. I also have a couple 5'11 Gen 2 bags that have been great

Find the oldest JanSport that you can - with the leather bottom. For biking, I just picked up an Ogio VR46 (Valentino Rossi) backpack in nuclear Hi-viz/black. An unbelievable deal at only $20 delivered.
I have one of those, its near 30 years old, and still going strong! I used to travel a lot for work and that was my two or three day bag. I had the zipper replaced at about the 15 year mark. It still looks pretty good. DR

Mystery Ranch in my personal experience has been great.

I don't think you can go wrong if you spend some money and do some research though and try to find a bargain within those two parameters.

ILBE, made by Arc"teryx and a Cadillac of mil.bags. Very comfortable even with 60# of gear. Well built with HD zippers / pulls.

ive carried ALICE packs (unmodified) and they're designed for the average sized 19 y.o. and miserable to carry if anything more than 35 pounds. I'm still amazed anyone mentions them as an option and wonder if they've even tried anything else or ever carried one!, YMMV..

Also have Camelbak, Gregory and a few Osprey's and and REI pack that are currently getting used. The REI has been in constant use for over 12 years and holding up well.

ILBE, made by Arc"teryx and a Cadillac of mil.bags. Very comfortable even with 60# of gear. Well built with HD zippers / pulls.

ive carried ALICE packs (unmodified) and they're designed for the average sized 19 y.o. and miserable to carry if anything more than 35 pounds. I'm still amazed anyone mentions them as an option and wonder if they've even tried anything else or ever carried one!, YMMV..

Also have Camelbak, Gregory and a few Osprey's and and REI pack that are currently getting used. The REI has been in constant use for over 12 years and holding up well.
I agree with everything in this. The thing that you have to remember is that ultimately bags are purpose-built. They are not universal. Keep in mind the buy one's cry once mantra. A truck bag or get back home, is going to be very different from a 5-day ruck bag. A go bag from the home will be set up very differently from your everyday messenger bag. With that in mind, quality bags are expensive so plan appropriately.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top