JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm tired of these cheapo packs! Seams ripping, zippers failing only after 2 or 3 uses.
I'm looking for a "military style " with molle webbing and can be used in a get home or bug out situation, but mainly for a fishing/ daytrip pack.

What do you have that has held up?

I've got a stone glacier for a meat pack, and a few different 5.11 tactical bags. I did have to repair a little on one of the 5.11 bags, the strap needed sewing.

Two manufactures I have that have been the best are the Camel Back( 15 years) and the Osprey going on 5 years now. I was tired of stuff falling apart and zippers failing the new motto is buy once cry once !

I use seek outside for hunting and my day pack but i know kifaru, stone glacier initial ascent and several others meant for hunting are super tough and made in America(if that matters to you). Things i like about seek outside is their stuff is ultralight, made in usa, tough and waterproof. Kifaru makes some waterproof bags for their frames too

I have jansport thats held up great, not at all tacticool though.
Funny that you mention Jansport. My son's Jansport that he got in middle school and used until the end of high school is built amazingly well. If it was bigger and had more compartments, I'd totally use it.

I've noticed that if your use case requires carrying a backpack every day while traveling, opening and closing the compartments multiple times at job sites and loading it somewhat heavily the zippers quickly fail, the seams start fraying, etc.

For a day pack I use a Tamarac camera bag. Don't choose one that is a famous camera name, such as Nikon, as it might attract robbers. Mine is a discrete attractive light grey. Nothing tactical looking. It just looks like a classier variant of a book bag. The main compartment, as with most camera packs, has several slabs of cloth-covered foam interior panels that can be used to partition the interior to make appropriate size nests for each of your camera bodies and lenses. The bottom is also so protected. So you can use those separators to make a perfect nest for a scoped 9 1/2 inch Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag should you happen to want to. And there would still be plenty of room for another large unscoped revolver, a sweater, rain gear, mittens, leather gloves, balaclava, lunch, water, ammo, hat.

There are two detachable side pockets that are also foam padded. One is kept empty and reserved for my 686 snubby EDC Buddy, in case I'm doing plant breeding or harvesting stuff, which usually requires so much bending that CC isn't an option. So Buddy gets transfered to a side pocket. The other detachable side pocket is usually full of plant breeding tools, cell phone, wallet, etc. There are two flat non-padded external pockets good for notebooks, pens, surveyors tape for flagging plants, etc. There are heavy duty exterior attachments for heavy long stuff such as a tripod. But they could also be used for my portable saw set that has both wood cutting and bone cutting blades. And/or an ax. Or one or more canes, one really for walking, the other expandable and with a rifle support mounted on top. This is a nice place to rest my hand when doing a lot of work with a heavy camera. It could just as easily help stabilize a heavy revolver or rifle, which is what it was designed for. And where footing is treacherous, such as crossing creeks on slippery stones, it can be nice to have two canes. The straps are heavy duty, wide, and comfy. I've been carrying this pack whenever I need a day pack for about 30 years with no signs of wear at all. Often carrying heavy stuff like a Nikon d8000 and a huge telephoto lense. Look at camera bags for day pack sized needs.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top