JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The "information" posted above (quoted below) is incorrect
Time period #1 Before m114 was passed

A) regular pace for OR background checks was 25k per month (excluding spikes like before/after major elections).

Time period #2 m114 passed and idiots in state government said it will start immediately, despite no system set up

A) when m114 was approved the number of applicants jumped to 125k-140kish per month (according to Maxine Bernstein reports)
The regular pace for OR background checks has been well above 25k a month for many years, you have to go back to 2016/2015 to find them that low. (average roughly has been 33,00-35,00 a month past few years)
The highest level after 114 was 91,661 in Nov and has declined steadily since, 76,437 in Dec, 56,173 in Jan, and down to 44,411 in Feb, 2023. (definitely NOT 125-140ish)
Actually year 2020 had a greater number of background checks submitted than did 2022 (according to OSPs own data).

Also there was no "new" 114 " permit process" to gear up for, there was no new process. The checks still would need to go thu the State's screwed up system and the Feds database checks as well. That would be no difference regardless. What they did not have was the database setup and the coordination/format for the local LEOs. Those temps and trainees that were doing the background checks for OSP would definitely not be the database creators and tester's...at least lets hope not!!! There was no reason for a glacial slowdown, actually good management would have anticipated this increase in background checks and planned for it. Assuming that they considered it their job to expediously process these checks.

The "information" posted above (quoted below) is incorrect

The regular pace for OR background checks has been well above 25k a month for many years, you have to go back to 2016/2015 to find them that low. (average roughly has been 33,00-35,00 a month past few years)
The highest level after 114 was 91,661 in Nov and has declined steadily since, 76,437 in Dec, 56,173 in Jan, and down to 44,411 in Feb, 2023. (definitely NOT 125-140ish)
Actually year 2020 had a greater number of background checks submitted than did 2022 (according to OSPs own data).

Also there was no "new" 114 " permit process" to gear up for, there was no new process. The checks still would need to go thu the State's screwed up system and the Feds database checks as well. That would be no difference regardless. What they did not have was the database setup and the coordination/format for the local LEOs. Those temps and trainees that were doing the background checks for OSP would definitely not be the database creators and tester's...at least lets hope not!!! There was no reason for a glacial slowdown, actually good management would have anticipated this increase in background checks and planned for it. Assuming that they considered it their job to expediously process these checks.
I was referring to the reported numbers of 25k per month, and the 125kish spike after m114 (see below).

On the "no new permit process". I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that. Numerous sources out there showed state patrol was gearing up for that and sheriff's balking at it.

5B0A4DE4-1B08-4275-84DF-17D99E608B60.jpeg
9B328993-EB73-4FC7-B30A-5D2F07232BBC.jpeg

You incorrectly stated
A) when m114 was approved the number of applicants jumped to 125k-140kish per month
The data you posted contradicts that. there was a high monthly of 85 thou, not 125-140 per month.

ALso i don't know the source of that data you posted but i took my data from the monthly reports from the national NICS system, which i consider a valid source. All background checks submitted to the State must go thru the NICS system. They post monthly data by State.
BUT, perhaps the difference in numbers can be attributed to the glacial process the state uses that necessitates a NICS "revisit" when it exceeds 30 days....perhaps those "rechecks" are also counted by NICS in their total???? If that is the case (dunno just guessing here) then the data you posted is correct, and my apologies.

As far as the "new" process, the state patrol gearing up and sheriffs balking at it, are not the folks processing background checks at OSP FICS. They (FICS) had funding approval for significant increase in their staff in 2021.

OSP as a whole is not our enemy. Many OSP troopers and employees are good people, hunters and gun owners themselves. They do work directly for the governor though, so they walk a fine line if their ideology doesn't align with hers, and they don't call the shots.

It was suggested to me that the-powers-that-be (governor and her ilk) don't actually want to delay background checks. Emotionally, they may want to stick it to gun buyers and do everything they can to discourage buying, but logically it's not in their best interests.

Lengthy BGC delays will work against them (one would think) in the court challenges to 114: if it's this bad now, how would they expect to be able to handle it at all if/when the law is implemented?

That, and the fact that there are many union democrat hunters and gun owners who are getting pretty frustrated with the situation, as well as a whole lot of politically ignorant hunters out there who are in for a rude awakening when they go down to buy their next hunting rifle or duck gun. Maybe they'll wake up and start voting?

I stand by what my friend told me, but the rest is just speculation, food for thought.

OSP as a whole is not our enemy. Many OSP troopers and employees are good people, hunters and gun owners themselves. They do work directly for the governor though, so they walk a fine line if their ideology doesn't align with hers, and they don't call the shots.

It was suggested to me that the-powers-that-be (governor and her ilk) don't actually want to delay background checks. Emotionally, they may want to stick it to gun buyers and do everything they can to discourage buying, but logically it's not in their best interests.

Lengthy BGC delays will work against them (one would think) in the court challenges to 114: if it's this bad now, how would they expect to be able to handle it at all if/when the law is implemented?

That, and the fact that there are many union democrat hunters and gun owners who are getting pretty frustrated with the situation, as well as a whole lot of politically ignorant hunters out there who are in for a rude awakening when they go down to buy their next hunting rifle or duck gun. Maybe they'll wake up and start voting?

I stand by what my friend told me, but the rest is just speculation, food for thought.
There are tons of ignorant gun owners, the casual gun owner who maybe only owns one for self defense type and have ZERO idea what is happening. They'd surely vote NO against these measures but they're neither voting nor do they even have a clue what is happening. I've met so many of them. Sadly I talked to FFLs last July and when I told them what was coming with M114 they looked at me like I was wearing tin foil

There are tons of ignorant gun owners, the casual gun owner who maybe only owns one for self defense type and have ZERO idea what is happening. They'd surely vote NO against these measures but they're neither voting nor do they even have a clue what is happening. I've met so many of them. Sadly I talked to FFLs last July and when I told them what was coming with M114 they looked at me like I was wearing tin foil
As much as I hate to say it, perhaps the chaos that we're seeing now, transfers stalled for months, guns not available, and gun stores closing down, may be a wake up for many people.

I'm not holding my breath, but we can always hope, right?

As much as I hate to say it, perhaps the chaos that we're seeing now, transfers stalled for months, guns not available, and gun stores closing down, may be a wake up for many people.

Don't forget the lie that' perpetuated with the measure. They're still convincing people with every measure they try to pass that they're adding background checks as if that's not already a thing. So of course your average person who's been conditioned to be afraid of guns is going to think yeah that's logical i'm all for background checks , where do i sign.

I doubt it personally. The same pricks who didn't vote before won't vote next time. Their head will be in the sand.

The same snowflakes in 1 or 2 counties will outvote the entire rest of the state unless gun owners wake the F up.

I also heard the theory, posited by a state employee, that the lack of organized opposition to the 114 campaign (other than grass roots) was deliberate on the part of the big gun-rights organizations because the law was SO poorly written (and it is an absolute mess of a law). Passage and subsequent lawsuits could establish some very good case law and end up being a strong net gain for our side.

I'm skeptical of that one though, because I haven't seen that kind of coordination or forward thinking in the big gun-rights organizations, but again one can always hope (wish, dream…)

For a job that doesn't require secondary education, $20/hr ain't bad. I started at $45k/yr 16 years ago when I finished engineering school.
Gotta remember $40k/yr or $20/hr really isn't anything close to what it was even 5 years ago let alone 16 years ago. $45k/yr 16 years ago is the same as $66k/yr now with just inflation adjustments. I'm not sure if that factors in cost of living also. I understand the reference was to the lack of need of higher education, but it's still not a lot of money in most west coast metropolitan areas.

Gotta remember $40k/yr or $20/hr really isn't anything close to what it was even 5 years ago let alone 16 years ago. $45k/yr 16 years ago is the same as $66k/yr now with just inflation adjustments. I'm not sure if that factors in cost of living also. I understand the reference was to the lack of need of higher education, but it's still not a lot of money in most west coast metropolitan areas.
You're competition on target with the massive increase in housing prices. Down in Roseburg, the median house price was around $320k two summers ago when we were shopping. Most of those houses were very basic. No offense to my hometown, but this is in Roseburg, there's nothing here to justify those prices. The prices are when worst in a metropolitan area.

The main takeaway, is that a HS degree with government benefits is nothing to sneeze at. I wouldn't be surprised if the pay was closer to the $60k starting.

You're competition on target with the massive increase in housing prices. Down in Roseburg, the median house price was around $320k two summers ago when we were shopping. Most of those houses were very basic. No offense to my hometown, but this is in Roseburg, there's nothing here to justify those prices. The prices are when worst in a metropolitan area.

The main takeaway, is that a HS degree with government benefits is nothing to sneeze at. I wouldn't be surprised if the pay was closer to the $60k starting.
Which is a fair point. I do think there has been a bit of a shift in the need for high education for some jobs, though most of the best paying still require specialty degrees (IE: healthcare or anything STEM related). When accounting for government perks though you're probably right. the PERS program is pretty solid if you get in early and the other benefits are really good. My wife works for ODOT and the benefits were a big part of the compensation package even though her salary was significantly lower than her old private sector job.

I was informed today that OSP is NOT intentionally delaying background checks. The delay is due to the overwhelming number of transfers, and to a lesser degree adequate trained staffing to perform the checks. Apparently they've spent a significant amount on overtime, as well as hiring and training.

This was from a trustworthy source who is very familiar with the OSP BGC process and people involved.
I believe this is true. They could speed things up by combining multiple bg checks from the same person into one bg check search. It is only policy holding them back from doing this.

I'm very confused about how the BGC system works. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

There's a queue that's two to three months long, yet some get approved through a mysterious instant system, and some get in the short line for approval within an hour or a couple days. From what I've heard, it seems to make a difference whether it's called in or done online, what time of day it is, and even the venue (gun shows). The one thing that should logically make a difference (CHL) doesn't anymore.

I witnessed this yesterday, when a friend bought a gun at a gun show. They called it in, and told him "You're number 15 in the queue". He doesn't have a CHL or any practical reason to be expedited in the system. I have a CHL and have been a "frequent flyer" for years, yet I went to the back of the line two months ago and am still waiting. Like I said before, I'm not in a hurry myself, but I have to wonder how this thing really works. What a screwed up, disjointed, dysfunctional system. I've never seen anything like it.

What a screwed up, disjointed, dysfunctional system.
yup, totally correct
and they are working at making it more dysfunctional in having the (gasp) DMV take charge in being the "permit agent" when/if the permit system is put in place.
Remember the highly touted health care portal Oregon tried and woefully failed to do...seems like anything to do with Oregon bureaucracy is a total cluster.

This is the way the State of Oregon bureaucracy works. The Employment Division, the DMV and the Department of Revenue have all had serious failures in the past several years. A lot of it boils down to the cronies that the various Governors have appointed as heads of these various state agencies. They are incompetent and eventually fail at the task given to them. A new head of State Police has recently been appointed, so we should wait and see how he does, but I do not have a very high expectation.

My "Go-To" transfer dealer quit doing transfers and now is only open two days a week. My "back-up guy" only agreed to do my transfer because it was a pistol; his safe is full of long guns awaiting approval.
At our last gun show in December we had two dealers doing transfers and it was hit or miss; some being delayed and some getting "instant" approval.
We have another gun show coming up in April; I'm anxious to see how it goes this time...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top