JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When a person purchases a firearm from a dealer in Oregon, he has to fill out a 4473 Form provided by the BATF. The seller then calls the Oregon State Police who do 3 checks - Federal, State and - believe it or not - a credit check! I believe that the credit check is only to help establish identity - going bankrupt will not disqualify you. If there is nothing on the State or Federal check that disqualifies you, you can purchase the firearm.

When a person purchases a firearm from a dealer in Oregon, he has to fill out a 4473 Form provided by the BATF. The seller then calls the Oregon State Police who do 3 checks - Federal, State and - believe it or not - a credit check! I believe that the credit check is only to help establish identity - going bankrupt will not disqualify you. If there is nothing on the State or Federal check that disqualifies you, you can purchase the firearm.

My BS meter is going wild!:huh:

Please help me out with the language regarding a credit check as part of the instant check to purchase a firearm. That is the part I'm not swallowing.

Me neither. But I have no inside info.

The only thing I see is:

166.432 Definitions for ORS 166.412 and 166.433 to 166.441. (1) As used in ORS
166.412, 166.433, 166.434, 166.436 and 166.438, “criminal background check” or
“criminal history record check” means determining the eligibility of a person to purchase
or possess a firearm by reviewing state and federal databases including, but not limited
to, the:
(a) Oregon computerized criminal history system;
(b) Oregon mental health data system;
(c) Law Enforcement Data System;
(d) National Instant Criminal Background Check System; and
(e) Stolen guns system.
(2) As used in ORS 166.433, 166.434, 166.436, 166.438 and 166.441:
(a) “Gun dealer” has the meaning given that term in ORS 166.412.
(b) “Gun show” means an event at which more than 25 firearms are on site and
available for transfer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews