JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Gunshot Not Heard Across Washington - (updated post from this AM)

With the click of a mouse, some data came to light that is waking up gun owners across Washington State. Effective July 1, 2019, Washington's FFLs (Federal Firearm Licensee) will no longer run NICS checks for residents with a Concealed Pistol License (CPL). That means, no same day delivery even with your CPL.

Last Tuesday we spent 3 hours with the Washington Association of Sheriffs and Police Chiefs, the group tasked with enforcing a number of firearm related laws in Washington. They are also preparing the agencies they represent on how to deal with this change. They too, are concerned about this change. On Wednesday, we did an interview with Lars Larson about a change happening outside of Initiative 1639. Thursday, we confirmed the details of this by speaking with State Senator Lynda Wilson, who is a very pro 2A State Senator who sits on the State Senate Law and Justice Committee. She affirmed that the report is very real, and Ranking Senator Peterson has planned to address the change in a November work session of the L&J committee.
Here are basics. The FBI has a standard for concealed carry permits, if an individual has a permit issued by a state whose Conceal Carry Permit standard meets the FBI standard, the individual purchaser does not require a NICS background check under FEDERAL law. Washington state law does not align with Federal law, as it requires a specific background check for each transaction. The FBI has allowed Washington FFL dealers to do a "courtesy check" so a background check was completed to meet WA law and a pistol could be delivered. After that courtesy check, the FFL then sends each competed pistol transfer application to the local law enforcement. The local law enforcement agency, runs a check similar to the NICS check, but not identical. They complete a search of DSHS billing codes (looking for mental adjudications, involuntary mental holds), local court records, pending charges and restraining orders. This system has resulted in NICs being accessed twice for each pistol transfer, an "extra" burden on the FBI NICS system. So, the FBI said no more courtesy checks for Washington CPL holders, punting the responsibility back to Washington.

This change was programmed for October 2018, but the state asked for and received an extension to July 1, 2019. This change will require every handgun purchase be sent to local law enforcement for approval. So, no more cash and carry if you have a CPL.

The Law and Justice committee has a work group programmed for this later this month, however, with Initiative 1639 being voted on in this mid term election, the committee is waiting to see what happens before proceeding with discussing a resolution. As you already know, 1639 will require local law enforcement to conduct the background checks for all semi automatic rifles at the time of purchase, as well as all handguns. This measure will put a massive strain on the local law enforcement agencies and the state, as there is no system in place, no funding and no consistency statewide among agencies at this time. These changes will dramatically increase law enforcement agencies workloads, resulting in further delays to you, the law abiding citizens of Washington.
In Thurston county, we snail mail applications. In Pierce County, it's email. In Clark County, we fax them (about 10 times, as their fax machine is terrible). The City of Seattle, Vancouver, Spokane, Woodland and Bellingham all have different communication protocols and their responses are as varied as their submission requirements. Some better, some worse. I won't even get started on trying to identify which agency gets the application. Are you in the city limits or the county, does that city process approvals or does the county? How about the City of Woodland in Cowlitz county, but Clark County processes applications for that specific address? Did we mention inconsistency?
Washington residents have huge changes coming at them in the coming months. The State Senate Law and Justice Committee is run by a crew of anti-gun Democrats who introduced and PASSED 7 major gun control measures out of committee and approved through the Senate last session. Ultimately those measures failed, by only a couple votes in the State House. The November 6 mid term election will have more impact on gun control than Washington has ever seen. Washington must vote No on i-1639 and any candidate that supports additional gun control.
We must vote No on 1639 and send it into the dark ages. After that, we'll need to direct our energy at some pro-gun work in the legislature, so that at the very least, we restore the ability of FFLs to transfer handguns to CPL holders on the same day.

If you read the voters guide economic analysis, 1639 is just going to require a few data techs and some other costs which are unknown. 1639 is going to cost tens of millions of dollars at the state level, hiring personnel at DSHS, Washington State Patrol and Department of Licensing. There will be new databases and secure networks. These checks will be done on every person who has purchased anything, every year, for their rest of their lives. It will cost many tens of millions more across the Washington Law Enforcement Agencies to handle all the requests (and it's all unfunded). The real topper, these agencies are immune from liability if they choose not to approve an individual who is legal to possess. How long before the Seattle City Council votes to not approve sales to city residents? 1639 MUST BE CRUSHED.

Sure.....

WA law makers work hard to "fix" this "problem". But, what have they done about bringing the regular WA driver's Lic. in line with TSA?

https://www.king5.com/article/travel/new-washington-drivers-license-still-wont-get-you-through-security/419509042

If that problem has already been fixed.....then, my bad.:eek: For the record.....IMHO, paying $66 for an "enhanced DL" is not my idea of a fix.

And speaking about Govt.....

I have not seen anything new (for awhile) on the WA State BUMP STOCK buy back program. The WSP did not update their site in a while. Note the dates: http://www.wsp.wa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/WSR-18-18-023.pdf

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I love coming to SS for the atmosphere, and parts, and building, and I have been picking up quite a few lowers there. I am sad to say this horse feces by the state will force more and more people like me to the 80% route.
I really like your store and I hope you are able to stay a float. Maybe focus more on 80%ers like limitless does.

I know lots of people still want to buy factory complete guns, but I can't support a government system like this.

I hate that my taxes will be funding it.

I wish antis understood how convoluted the laws and systems are before adding more garbage to the pile.

With this new legislation and the possibility of I1639 I have decided after 25 years in Washington State. I'm getting ready to leave. It may take a year or so, but I will either move to Arizona or Texas. I'm done with Washington State and its liberal stupidity.

With this new legislation and the possibility of I1639 I have decided after 25 years in Washington State. I'm getting ready to leave. It may take a year or so, but I will either move to Arizona or Texas. I'm done with Washington State and its liberal stupidity.
I couldnt handle oregon any longer either and its rating of the 11th most corrupt state thanks to the leftist, mostly due to out of state money buying new leftist laws to oppress the law abiding ONLY, sanctuary city, sanctuary state, an ANTIFA stronghold a criminal arm of the leftist party, I could go on & on & on & on but isnt that enough

not true , was fine till LE would run a extra background after one was already done. sorry they aren't smart enough to read a pta

Just curious, what's your basis for believing that WASHINGTON LAW doesn't require the agency to run their version of NICS? I'd love to see the citation of the RCW that says the LE agency doesn't have to do THAT check when an FFL courtesy check was done. I spent about 12 hours talking to 2 different LE agencies, the WA Association of Sheriff's & Chiefs as well as my state Senator (who is on the Senate Law and Justice committee) about it this week.

Sure.....

WA law makers work hard to "fix" this "problem". But, what have they done about bringing the regular WA driver's Lic. in line with TSA?

https://www.king5.com/article/travel/new-washington-drivers-license-still-wont-get-you-through-security/419509042

If that problem has already been fixed.....then, my bad.:eek: For the record.....IMHO, paying $66 for an "enhanced DL" is not my idea of a fix.

The TSA/REAL ID issue has been fixed: Washington state now fully compliant with REAL ID

If 1639 passes, buying guns after July 1, 2019 will be too much of a hassle. There are a couple rifles I'm thinking of, and one or two handguns, so I may have to dip into my savings and get that done in the first half of the year. After that, I'm done.

If I could, I'd move to Idaho.

Idaho is being invaded by the same liberal bent, housing prices have kicked many out of CA into OR & WA. Now the housing prices there are sending many to Boise. Unfortunately they aren't leaving their libtard politics behind. No matter where you go they will follow. STAND AND FIGHT LIKE MEN!

Vote!!!! Make sure your friends vote. Support the groups that are fighting the effort. This is round 2 of the assualt on your rights this year. Round 3 is coming, but we have to fight it.

I put my vote in to stop all their BS as did my buddy down the road. Whether or not our efforts will have effect has yet to be seen.

But since the libtards want to make purchases more difficult and keep databases on us...Got a nice router jig ordered and coming soon.

As for moving to Idaho: been plannin that move for a while now. Just tryin to save up some money to do it.

Taxes are out of control in WA, libtards are out of control, and housing costs are so effing high you absolutely can't buy a home in this state or even afford to rent your own place unless you make 6+ figures a year... The gun battle here is never ending. Fortunately for those of us that believe in the constitution and what it stands for: paul allen died. not that I would wish death on anyone ever, but good riddance to one of the biggest anti-gun campaign sponsors around here... that arsehat spent millions to fund anti-gun measures and campaigns. 1 less funding their agenda. But it's far from over...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top