JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for a little insight.

I'm trying to get back to my Mac working outside of the local network. It works great when I have the Air connected to the home network and I want to connect to the Mini. Works great when I'm on the Mini and the Air is connected locally.. can connect both ways without any issues. I can do file transfers and share screens.

The problem:
When I connect my Air outside of my network, I cannot connect the Mini to the Air. I can though connect the Air to the Mini.

Home network:
Air to Mini- OK
Mini to Air- OK

Different Networks:
Air to Mini- OK
Mini to Air- NO (shows up as a remote server still, just won't connect)

I've connected the Air to a local "Xfinity" network and used my cell as a wifi hotspot. It will connect both ways into the home network.

I've connected the Mini through WiFi to the Xfinity network - Will not connect.
I've connected the Mini through cell hotspot: Will not connect.

My Airport Extreme is setup to the best of my knowledge and I'm logged into it with my apple ID.

I use the same icloud login information, I'm using the same keychain access for my accounts etc... I'm kind of in a bind here as why it would/will go one direction but not the other even when I've swapped and switched.

I've read every resource on the net so far trying to find out why/what the issue is and why it's only a one way connection. There are no firewalls blocking on the computers or router. I'm not running anything through any DNS services. Straight network, no frills and no add-ons.

Any ideas?

Sounds like a network setting on the different network. Maybe it doesn't allow incoming remote connections. I assume you haven't tried the mini on an outside network and are just wanting remote access to your mini when out and about?

Sounds like a network setting on the different network. Maybe it doesn't allow incoming remote connections. I assume you haven't tried the mini on an outside network and are just wanting remote access to your mini when out and about?

it's a cluster right now but I mean at least I can access the Mini from any external network.

I've spent about 6 hours so far resetting, rebooting and clearing keys and such.... about to hit up tech support.

See the info at the link here. This may be affecting you.

I prefer to leverage the UNIX that OSX is built on. Setup port forwarding on your router for whatever service you want to run. For file sharing with a mac, the best relatively secure way I've found is to setup a ftp server via ssh with port forwarding to the computer/server/Mac.

The cheapest/easiest way I've found to accomplish this:
1.) Enable Remote Login from sharing in system preferences. Pick a user(s) you want to give remote access.
2.) Ensure the computers IP has been set to a static IP and/or given a DHCP reservation in your routers interface.
3.) Forward a random external port to your internal IP/Port 22 interface. Pick a number in the higher thousands to avoid any conflicts for home services (like 6-9000 something)
4.) Pick a good FTP graphical client if you aren't a fan of command line. One of the most popular is Filezilla.
5.) If your network doesn't have a static IP, get a dynamic DNS service. There are dynamic DNS clients for DynDNS and no-ip built into most home routers nowadays.

You should be done. (minus the random issues I'm sure you'll probably run into). If you want to go crazy with complicated security, I can point you to some good online tutorials. If you need help, ask and I should be able to help.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR