JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for a little insight.

I'm trying to get back to my Mac working outside of the local network. It works great when I have the Air connected to the home network and I want to connect to the Mini. Works great when I'm on the Mini and the Air is connected locally.. can connect both ways without any issues. I can do file transfers and share screens.

The problem:
When I connect my Air outside of my network, I cannot connect the Mini to the Air. I can though connect the Air to the Mini.

Home network:
Air to Mini- OK
Mini to Air- OK

Different Networks:
Air to Mini- OK
Mini to Air- NO (shows up as a remote server still, just won't connect)

I've connected the Air to a local "Xfinity" network and used my cell as a wifi hotspot. It will connect both ways into the home network.

I've connected the Mini through WiFi to the Xfinity network - Will not connect.
I've connected the Mini through cell hotspot: Will not connect.

My Airport Extreme is setup to the best of my knowledge and I'm logged into it with my apple ID.

I use the same icloud login information, I'm using the same keychain access for my accounts etc... I'm kind of in a bind here as why it would/will go one direction but not the other even when I've swapped and switched.

I've read every resource on the net so far trying to find out why/what the issue is and why it's only a one way connection. There are no firewalls blocking on the computers or router. I'm not running anything through any DNS services. Straight network, no frills and no add-ons.

Any ideas?

Sounds like a network setting on the different network. Maybe it doesn't allow incoming remote connections. I assume you haven't tried the mini on an outside network and are just wanting remote access to your mini when out and about?

Sounds like a network setting on the different network. Maybe it doesn't allow incoming remote connections. I assume you haven't tried the mini on an outside network and are just wanting remote access to your mini when out and about?

it's a cluster right now but I mean at least I can access the Mini from any external network.

I've spent about 6 hours so far resetting, rebooting and clearing keys and such.... about to hit up tech support.

See the info at the link here. This may be affecting you.

I prefer to leverage the UNIX that OSX is built on. Setup port forwarding on your router for whatever service you want to run. For file sharing with a mac, the best relatively secure way I've found is to setup a ftp server via ssh with port forwarding to the computer/server/Mac.

The cheapest/easiest way I've found to accomplish this:
1.) Enable Remote Login from sharing in system preferences. Pick a user(s) you want to give remote access.
2.) Ensure the computers IP has been set to a static IP and/or given a DHCP reservation in your routers interface.
3.) Forward a random external port to your internal IP/Port 22 interface. Pick a number in the higher thousands to avoid any conflicts for home services (like 6-9000 something)
4.) Pick a good FTP graphical client if you aren't a fan of command line. One of the most popular is Filezilla.
5.) If your network doesn't have a static IP, get a dynamic DNS service. There are dynamic DNS clients for DynDNS and no-ip built into most home routers nowadays.

You should be done. (minus the random issues I'm sure you'll probably run into). If you want to go crazy with complicated security, I can point you to some good online tutorials. If you need help, ask and I should be able to help.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads