JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another GP100 user here. @djharteloo do you have a speed loader? It's relatively small and very easy to use. .357 should handle a black bear, or so I've been told. One of my wife's co-workers was confronted by a black bear just south of Eugene last week, so they're out there.

I don't think you'll need suppressive fire to handle tweakers. Tweakers are like hyenas, they are creatures of opportunity. Just don't give them an opportunity to talk to you. They usually have some idiotic and suspicious pretext for wanting a ride, or wanting to use your phone. I don't even acknowledge them.

Someone mentioned David Paulides book, Missing 411, and this is some truly baffling stuff. Thousands of people do go missing in the western forests without a trace. I'm by no means an expert outdoorsman, but it is easy to get turned around out there, especially if you start making your own shortcuts or you get hurt. Once the sun goes down you are at a critical disadvantage.
I do have a few of the safariland speed loaders.

We live on the edge of town, surrounded by Werhauser logging property. until they are of age, my kids' back country defense is a knife... And recently my daughters friends found out why she carries a knife wth her when out and about... They were on one of thier cross county routes just before school ended, and had a run in with a couple of our many local meth addicts about a mile outside of town in the woods... They were terrified and had no idea what to do and ended up running, and hiding off the trail and got lost in the woods wearing nothing but shorty shorts, and little tank tops. A couple hours later they ended up in somebody's back yard scratched up from head to to from crawling through the brush, and found thier way home.
There is also the possibility of running into vagrant camps and illegal drug manufacturing on the fringes of town here... especially this time of year. I was just out sighting in my new blackout pistol the other day and decided to ride the wheeler down a different log road that I don't normally take looking for alternate places to shoot, and ran into a vagrant camp... I was well armed, and was just firing my guns less than a 1/4 from them so they knew it, and were either gone, or hiding when I rode up. This is really close to my brothers house and a favorite swimming hole for the kids. I of course called it in to the Sheriff, they had made a terrible mess out there, and that crap is why so much of our access to the mountains is gated off. All in all there is plenty reason to carry as much weapon as allowed when you're where urban and backwoods meet. You have more potential to have a run in with both 2&4 legged critters.
Personally I carry a Glock 17 out there. I sometimes carry a 6" Dan Wesson wheel gun in a shoulder rig, with a couple speed loaders, but I prefer to have 17 rounds x3 of 9mm over 6x3 of .357. I like having the power of the Magnum, but 9mm is sufficient for SW WA critters... Cougar, small black bear, and tweekers.
There's wyerhouser land not too far from my place East Clark County too and Dnr land. Seems like everytime i try a new road i find all kinds vagrant tressures.

You could raise a bear cub. And have an Indian friend.

Dan-Haggerty-3.jpg

Lots of GP100 love... I bought one as my very first pistol when I turned 21. Shortly afterward I got a Dan Wesson 6" .357 gifted to me from my father in law, and didn't see the need for 2 pistols of the same size and caliber... and since the DW was is family gun, and I could hit way better with it... I sold the GP100, and I've regretted it ever since. Not that I shoulda sold the DW, I shoulda kept them both! The GPs have gone up in popularity and value quite a bit since then.

There is only one serious back country stand alone pistol. An N frame S&W 44 mag. It is the only caliber/handgun combination that makes sense. I prefer a 4" barrel. Everything else is simply a want to be. The bigger 50 caliber pistols are unwieldy and overkill. The Rugers are good pistols but large and crude. I have taken coyotes at 100 yards with my 4" 629. It is also the smallest legal caliber for big game in many states. 44 mag shot shells are effective and readily available. If there is one gun in my truck, it is my 629.

A 3 inch model 60 .357 mag Smith. Great light weigh shooter with good pop.

Thanks
James
we have a brace of S&W 3" J frames, a M60 and its 22 counterpart. We purchased them mostly for my wife and they are magnificent handguns. I think as a backup weapon to a rifle or shotgun the 357 is fine but as a primary gun I still prefer a 44 mag. The big 44 has as much or more velocity (read range) than the smaller 357 (I call it a high speed 36 cal) remember the 38 special was named as it is because the 36 was so ineffective in earlier revolvers, the marketing departments didn't want to call it a 36. I also use a lot of shot shells in the 44, particularly in snake country or shooting rats in the barn. I am really a Colt guy and love my pythons, troopers and the like but for a newer more inexpensive revolver, the S&W is so fine I can't understand why anyone would buy an investment cast Ruger.

I agree with most above about the Ruger. I have a 4 5/8 blackhawk with Hogue grips in .357. Strong gun. Very reliable. If your in bear country, load up some Buffalo Bore. Hot stuff. There are so many different loads available, just pick and choose ammo to suit your need.

Another GP100 user here. @djharteloo do you have a speed loader? It's relatively small and very easy to use. .357 should handle a black bear, or so I've been told. One of my wife's co-workers was confronted by a black bear just south of Eugene last week, so they're out there.

I don't think you'll need suppressive fire to handle tweakers. Tweakers are like hyenas, they are creatures of opportunity. Just don't give them an opportunity to talk to you. They usually have some idiotic and suspicious pretext for wanting a ride, or wanting to use your phone. I don't even acknowledge them.

Someone mentioned David Paulides book, Missing 411, and this is some truly baffling stuff. Thousands of people do go missing in the western forests without a trace. I'm by no means an expert outdoorsman, but it is easy to get turned around out there, especially if you start making your own shortcuts or you get hurt. Once the sun goes down you are at a critical disadvantage.
If you have to shoot a bear, he is going to be close. I would rather use a 45 than a 357.

A .45acp for bear?! I'd choose a .357 over a .45acp. And I'd pick a .40S&W over a .45acp. More energy. Ballistic coefficients.
Have you ever shot a Bear........the only advantage to high velocity pistol rounds is for long distance shooting. A 45 ACP will crush a bear skull like a watermelon at close range. A 357 waists a lot of energy out the back side of the target.

A black bear sure but I wouldn't take a .45acp up against a grizzly, kodiak, or polar bear. As soon as that big slow slug hits cartilage or muscle it's gonna slow down and penetration will be hindered.
The conversation was about a black bear, you are living in a fantasy world. Have you ever seen an Eskimo use a handgun? They use a lot of 30-06 rifles. Handguns are generally ineffective, not powerful or accurate compared with a common big bore rifle. Only for use when you can't Cary a real gun. A 30-30 is more powerful than 99% of the handguns in the world.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top