JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I normally carry a Ruger BH in either 45 Colt or 41 magnum, has worked great for the last 42 years. If I wanted to up my capacity, it would be a 1911 doublestack platform in 38 Super with +P such as CorBon although the first 2 rds would be TC FMJs. Read what Cooper the Guru of the 1911 thought about that combo as a bear and lion ( and I mean African) stopper for backup. Brain pan penetration for sure stopping power. I stuck a Colt 38 Super barrel on My Rock Island 22 TCM and it gives me 18 rds+1 of plenty of power in a flat shooting hicap platform that would be more than adequate. I don't run the PWN anymore, but we have the same problem with 2 legged varmints along the SW border. A spare clip and my rifle would leave me feeling comfortable. I just prefer to carry the Rugers.

I normally carry a Ruger BH in either 45 Colt or 41 magnum, has worked great for the last 42 years. If I wanted to up my capacity, it would be a 1911 doublestack platform in 38 Super with +P such as CorBon although the first 2 rds would be TC FMJs. Read what Cooper the Guru of the 1911 thought about that combo as a bear and lion ( and I mean African) stopper for backup. Brain pan penetration for sure stopping power. I stuck a Colt 38 Super barrel on My Rock Island 22 TCM and it gives me 18 rds+1 of plenty of power in a flat shooting hicap platform that would be more than adequate. I don't run the PWN anymore, but we have the same problem with 2 legged varmints along the SW border. A spare clip and my rifle would leave me feeling comfortable. I just prefer to carry the Rugers.
45 ACP was designed by Browning to mimic the 45 Long Colt, which it does very well. Do you remember why the Model 1902 Colt (Alaskan) 45 pistols were ordered while the rest of the Army was getting 38 Colts? It was to be used for Bear protection in Alaska. Off course, the 38's were soon proven to be ineffective against the Moro warriors in the Philippines so they were diverted for use there. The oversized trigger guards were for use with gloves.

I tend to vacillate between the .357 S&W Magnum, .41 Remington Magnum, and the 10mm Auto. I have all three, so it is a "box of chocolates" approach. I like all three but would tend to select the Glock 20 or my Tanfoglio Witness. (Either one will work, and work well).

Heck, I like them all! ;)

I tend to vacillate between the .357 S&W Magnum, .41 Remington Magnum, and the 10mm Auto. I have all three, so it is a "box of chocolates" approach. I like all three but would tend to select the Glock 20 or my Tanfoglio Witness. (Either one will work, and work well).

Heck, I like them all! ;)
41 magnum was Elmer Keith's second most favorite caliber.

Maybe stick with the .357 Magnum, but change revolvers. The new Ruger Redhawk in .357 holds 8 rounds and comes with moon clips. Fast reloading and as much ammo as a 1911.

Have you ever seen an Eskimo use a handgun? They use a lot of 30-06 rifles. Handguns are generally ineffective, not powerful or accurate compared with a common big bore rifle. Only for use when you can't Cary a real gun. A 30-30 is more powerful than 99% of the handguns in the world.

You don't say... Golly gee willikers!!!! ! I had no idea rifles were the prefered choice... :confused:

Last Edited:
I picked up a 4" S&W 329 PD airlite for packing in the woods. 44Mag should be enough.
When I've been hiking I've used a light 357 snubby that I can conceal in a pouch on my strap.
I haven't wanted to do many miles packing an auto along with all the rest of my gear. Although I do carry one in Camp. Only time I've felt under gunned was with the 357 in camp where someone emptied a full mag into the campground from the road.
And that time that elk stomped and snorted through the middle of our tent setup off the trail that one time

The OP's original post said: "I'm starting to look for a new general purpose back county pistol to take camping/deer/elk/bear hunting".

If one is going bear hunting with a handgun, I wouldn't use anything smaller than a .44 magnum. Preferably a S&W double action revolver. The .44 mag is about TWICE as powerful as the .357, and being heavier grain has more inertia and knockdown power and that is what one is going to want to reliably put a bear down. One doesn't need high capacity in the woods since one isn't going to be in a gun fight with criminals, thugs or terrorists while hunting in the woods. Six shots of .44 mag is all one is going to need. If one can't hit and kill the bear with six .44 mags, then one shouldn't be hunting with a handgun. And if by some weird quirk one did need to protect themselves against two legged critters while hunting in the woods (highly unlikely), the .44 mag would account for itself very well in that situation too. Also forget all the other calibers, they aren't sure enough for bear hunting nor humane if one had to empty a whole hi cap mag full of 9mm or 10mm or .45 acp into the bear to kill it. That's not clean kill hunting, that's just torturing the poor animal. Plus if the bear surprised one, and one only hit it once with those calibers, the mad wounded bear might get to one and kill one before one could get off another shot. MAYBE .357 mag would do the job (with proper shot placement), but why take the chance when the .44 mag is twice as powerful and has much more knockdown power. If one is going to mess with and try to kill a bear with a handgun, one had better bring a LARGE POWERFUL cartridge handgun.

Last Edited:
I'm an avid archer in Oregon, mainly the coast range and my choice of backup is the Glock 20 10mm, last archery season was the closest I've came to having to use it when we had a black bear sow with a cub charge for the first time. I'm 50 and have been hunting my entire life. She stopped a nano second before I would've been forced to fire. I am 100% confidant a double tap to her head would've kept me safe but luckily she did what she did and gathered her cub no worse for wear. I had M&K custom fit my pack with a holster for easy access which makes all the difference if I need to draw quick, also practicing with my bow release on which is extremely important since it likes to rest in the palm of the hand. Anyway, can't go wrong with a 10mm in the backcountry.

I'm an avid archer in Oregon, mainly the coast range and my choice of backup is the Glock 20 10mm, last archery season was the closest I've came to having to use it when we had a black bear sow with a cub charge for the first time. I'm 50 and have been hunting my entire life. She stopped a nano second before I would've been forced to fire. I am 100% confidant a double tap to her head would've kept me safe but luckily she did what she did and gathered her cub no worse for wear. I had M&K custom fit my pack with a holster for easy access which makes all the difference if I need to draw quick, also practicing with my bow release on which is extremely important since it likes to rest in the palm of the hand. Anyway, can't go wrong with a 10mm in the backcountry.
I would like to add, since I am an archer that shot placement is critical, caliber doesn't matter if each shot isn't a kill shot. Nothing more dangerous than a wounded predator.

I'm starting to look for a new general purpose back county pistol to take camping/deer/elk/bear hunting with me in western Washington. Currently I carry a 4 inch Ruger GP100 in .357 magnum but I'm wanting something with higher capacity. My ideas: Kimber Camp Guard 10mm, Glock 20sf, S&W M&P 2.0 .45ACP, or one of the new Ruger SR1911 10mms. Looking for input, Whats your favorite back country handgun?
Didn't really read this train wreck but did you die? We all know how a 200lb black bear can chew your ankle so painfully. fingers crossed

If we're looking for something sub-rifle-size, how does a heavy 5.56 NATO (say, 77gr Mk 262) or .300BLK compare to the various pistol Magnums? Thinking here is maybe an AR pistol might work as an "intermediate step"... though I'm not a game hunter and thus have little frame of reference on "Other Than Human" terminal ballistics.

Probably died.
Shoulda went all .25 acp.

th?id=OIP.3kN38ANeJ-X3prxfQs9LDwEsDV&w=265&h=187&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.5&pid=1.7.jpg

If we're looking for something sub-rifle-size, how does a heavy 5.56 NATO (say, 77gr Mk 262) or .300BLK compare to the various pistol Magnums? Thinking here is maybe an AR pistol might work as an "intermediate step"... though I'm not a game hunter and thus have little frame of reference on "Other Than Human" terminal ballistics.
You are obviously not a hunter. As said before bullet placement is critical and a 22 LR is adequate with the correct placement (it was used in slaughter houses for 100 years) but a 5.56 is as likely to be deflected as to penatrate. The caliber is best used as a coyote shooter. 300 BLK is a silly round that is designed for someone to make money. It mimics the 7.62X39 that is ballistically identically to a 30-30 that has taken as much game as any round in the world.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top