JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since the chances of ever having to use it are a little less then getting hit by lightning I would go for what ever weighed the least Maybe a Charter Arms Bull dog in .44 spl.

Since the chances of ever having to use it are a little less then getting hit by lightning I would go for what ever weighed the least Maybe a Charter Arms Bull dog in .44 spl.
Well Oregon has it pretty easy. Humans being more dangerous than anything on four legs.

I'm starting to look for a new general purpose back county pistol to take camping/deer/elk/bear hunting with me in western Washington. Currently I carry a 4 inch Ruger GP100 in .357 magnum but I'm wanting something with higher capacity. My ideas: Kimber Camp Guard 10mm, Glock 20sf, S&W M&P 2.0 .45ACP, or one of the new Ruger SR1911 10mms. Looking for input, Whats your favorite back country handgun?
1) You took the time to start this thread so you are not happy with your wheel gun
2) You asked for a pistol recommendation and a wheel gun is not a pistol
3) This is for woods carry and you want higher capacity
4) A Glock 10mm is the obvious choice

+1 on the G20.
I have shot underwood 220gr hard cast out of the stock barrel and did not have issues, but it was only one mag and it was at pretty close range.. 7 yards

I've hiked the woods plenty with just a .22. It's only the more popular spots I up my caliber size. The AR only goes when it's a mostly drive around trips on back roads. I wouldn't leave much of value in my vehicle anymore since my window was broke and my tools were stolen.

''Behold true greatness'' :s0152::s0152::s0152::s0152::s0152::s0152::s0152::s0152::s0152: :D

wheelers 004.jpg

Or a Glock .357sig/10mm, whatever. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
If that is one of those lightweight 44's, that is one of the most unpleasant-to-shoot handguns on the planet.
You either shoot it for business or have fun watching a n00b try to get through a cylinder.
A 500 S&W is much nicer to shoot.

:eek:
Yea, I'd much prefer the 3" S&W Mountain Gun for a "light" all-purpose .44.

If that is one of those lightweight 44's, that is one of the most unpleasant-to-shoot handguns on the planet.
You either shoot it for business or have fun watching a n00b try to get through a cylinder.
A 500 S&W is much nicer to shoot.

:eek:

The most unpleasant handgun I have shot is a Grendel (predecessor to Kel-Tec) .380 P10. It left bruises on my hand.

The 329 PD is not pleasant to shoot, especially with heavy loads, but it does not bruise my hands, it just stings them.

I'm starting to look for a new general purpose back county pistol to take camping/deer/elk/bear hunting ?
For me, your statement above ended up being broken into two categories, Camping/ fishing & big game hunting. After packing my 45 colt and a rifle hunting for a few years, I decided I could most everything with my rifle, I could with my 45, and neither were suitable for grouse* and rabbits, for me.
So, while hunting (with Big game rifle) I pack my 9 shot 22 break open revolver. ]
Not sorry, for years I passed up some fine camp meat. Years since, I have had tasty small game / grouse every hunt season.
When Fishing, shooting, or other general outdoors / woods adventures, It is the 45 colt, but I'm becoming fond of the 1911. (sometimes the 9:eek:)

* grouse can be harvested with a 22:)

For me, your statement above ended up being broken into two categories, Camping/ fishing & big game hunting. After packing my 45 colt and a rifle hunting for a few years, I decided I could most everything with my rifle, I could with my 45, and neither were suitable for grouse* and rabbits, for me.
So, while hunting (with Big game rifle) I pack my 9 shot 22 break open revolver. ]
Not sorry, for years I passed up some fine camp meat. Years since, I have had tasty small game / grouse every hunt season.
When Fishing, shooting, or other general outdoors / woods adventures, It is the 45 colt, but I'm becoming fond of the 1911. (sometimes the 9:eek:)

* grouse can be harvested with a 22:)

Great point. We often get caught up in maximizing our protection we forget survival needs. In my b.o.b I have been thinking of throwing my sr22 with one brick.

Thank you for your confidence in me Directdrive.
Your statement is not far from the truth.

I shot a couple boxes of full house stuff through it one day. And broke one of the titanium pins.
I kid you not. I could feel the recoil clear up to my elbows. o_O

Scared me. I thought I was growing a va-jj or something till it broke. :D

Sent it of to S&W on there dime. And they fixed it up for me.

wheelers 028.jpg

Last Edited:
I've tromped around, by myself, in the woods of the PNW (Orygun, WA, ID, MT, AK) for 5+ decades. Indeed, since I was a kid. On foot, in 4x4s, on dirt bikes, on mountain bikes, on skis and snowshoes.

I have never really needed a firearm (except of course when I was hunting) - although I sometimes carried one (especially in Alaska and Montana).

I have not gone missing yet - although a few times I was temporarily unsure of exactly the direction I needed to go and/or not correct about exactly where I was.

I am more worried about injuring myself (falling, tripping, etc.) or having a stroke/heart attack/etc. than I am about wild animals (including bigfoot). I like it in the woods - I feel safer there than in any city.
Times they are achangin' ....the previous decades the 4 legged predators were all we really needed to worry about.
If you have any doubt, just look at the sex offender registry. I looked up the town I live in and it looks like the map has a severe case of chicken pox. Needless to say, my teenage daughter carries a ballisong everywhere she goes, and knows how to use it. I even got her one of those spyderco balipen's that she can take to school.... much better than one of those stupid fidget spinners the other kids play with. IMG_2222.JPG

If you arrive at 10mm as an option, you should look at the Tangfolio line of 10mm guns.
15+1 capacity, polygonal barrels, sub $1000 for several models.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top