JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Times they are achangin' ....the previous decades the 4 legged predators were all we really needed to worry about.
If you have any doubt, just look at the sex offender registry. I looked up the town I live in and it looks like the map has a severe case of chicken pox. Needless to say, my teenage daughter carries a ballisong everywhere she goes, and knows how to use it. I even got her one of those spyderco balipen's that she can take to school.... much better than one of those stupid fidget spinners the other kids play with. View attachment 374921

Yeah, but two things:

We are talking about "back country" guns, not town guns.

I live on a mountain, miles away from a town.

That sounds terrifying as can be. Lol sounds like I'm just gonna continue using my gp100 and just carry my glock 19 or LCP in some kind of shoulder rig. Although I do need a 1911 of some flavor.

Or, you could go with a 45-70 ;)
IMGP0272.JPG

I used to carry a sp101 backpacking. But switched last year to a G40. I carry it in a ElPaso saddlery tanker.

Someone a few pages ago said they didn't like the G40 and I really can't understand why.

If you think you only need a .22lr in the woods... check out Missing 411 by David Paulides. You might change your mind after some investigating into this subject. It seems there's something large and sneaky taking people of all ages only feet away from others in national parks. Some blame sasquatch or possibly something else. Many theories about who or what is responsible for all the unaccounted missing people.
Can't believe I missed this comment! Missing 411 is interesting. He has a couple of books per region..do I believe in Bigfoot and the unknown? I want to actually. Just never had seen anything myself that was proof.

Now I do have a few wtf encounters.

I'm renting his missing 411 on Amazon now.

He recommends carrying a gun & personal transponder/something that can be tracked with GPS. I say carry those and a large machete (for trail blazing), kukri, or bowie worn visibly in a drop down leg sheath to deter or discourage attacks. That would be easy to deploy if you're pinned down or attacked from above. If you want to hear some scary and convincing stories, go to Vic Cundiff's youtube channel. Bigtruth on youtube has some footage of strange activity in southern Oregon. JC Johnson, Cascade Bigfoot,.. I like the outdoors and nothing keeps me from enjoying the woods but I have felt a strange presence in certain areas of the forest. A few times I've felt hunted or watched and when I have that unmistakable feeling I get outta there.

Last Edited:
Someone a few pages ago said they didn't like the G40 and I really can't understand why.
I don't know how a G40 compares to a 22, I don't like the shape of the circumference of the grip.
I wouldn't say it's too large, it just feels funny.
I'll just shoot it some more an see if I warm up to it.

He recommends carrying a gun & personal transponder/something that can be tracked with GPS. I say carry those and a large machete (for trail blazing), kukri, or bowie worn visibly in a drop down leg sheath to deter or discourage attacks. That would be easy to deploy if you're pinned down or attacked from above. If you want to hear some scary and convincing stories, go to Vic Cundiff's youtube channel.
Don't forget the anti-probe duct tape!

I have felt a stange presence in certain areas of the forest.
I think it's important to listen to our instincts but also control our fear. I have had things dart out at me at night but later id what it was. Seen bear damage on trees from cubs that look creepy because they will climb branches, not break them, and claw bark that would look odd at first.

Yeah, but two things:

We are talking about "back country" guns, not town guns.

I live on a mountain, miles away from a town.

We live on the edge of town, surrounded by Werhauser logging property. until they are of age, my kids' back country defense is a knife... And recently my daughters friends found out why she carries a knife wth her when out and about... They were on one of thier cross county routes just before school ended, and had a run in with a couple of our many local meth addicts about a mile outside of town in the woods... They were terrified and had no idea what to do and ended up running, and hiding off the trail and got lost in the woods wearing nothing but shorty shorts, and little tank tops. A couple hours later they ended up in somebody's back yard scratched up from head to to from crawling through the brush, and found thier way home.
There is also the possibility of running into vagrant camps and illegal drug manufacturing on the fringes of town here... especially this time of year. I was just out sighting in my new blackout pistol the other day and decided to ride the wheeler down a different log road that I don't normally take looking for alternate places to shoot, and ran into a vagrant camp... I was well armed, and was just firing my guns less than a 1/4 from them so they knew it, and were either gone, or hiding when I rode up. This is really close to my brothers house and a favorite swimming hole for the kids. I of course called it in to the Sheriff, they had made a terrible mess out there, and that crap is why so much of our access to the mountains is gated off. All in all there is plenty reason to carry as much weapon as allowed when you're where urban and backwoods meet. You have more potential to have a run in with both 2&4 legged critters.
Personally I carry a Glock 17 out there. I sometimes carry a 6" Dan Wesson wheel gun in a shoulder rig, with a couple speed loaders, but I prefer to have 17 rounds x3 of 9mm over 6x3 of .357. I like having the power of the Magnum, but 9mm is sufficient for SW WA critters... Cougar, small black bear, and tweekers.

I carried a 6" Python in the woods for years... not so much anymore for obvious reasons :rolleyes:

Now days, I carry a 45 acp; either a XDS or 1911 normally. I just picked up a GP100 a while back, and that would work as well as far as I am concerned. That being said, it's hard to argue with a 1911.... It throws a hellava punch downrange for 2 or 4 legged varmits. I have spent a fair amount of time in the woods and been stalked by cougars....once when archery hunting and it was illegal at the time to have a firearm with you... After that experience however I said "screw this" and carried anyway... now they changed the law, so I am guessing I wasn't the only guy to have a bad experience being unarmed except for essentially a sharp stick.
I did have a project I was running I the woods one time where some meth head had a mobile lab set up in an old station wagon.... I wasn't there but my guys said that he stole some "road closed" signs and used them to keep uninvited guests away from his science experiment. My guys spotted him and figured out what was going on when they went looking for the signs... Thankfully the sheriff took care of the problem AND we got the signs back :D

Another GP100 user here. @djharteloo do you have a speed loader? It's relatively small and very easy to use. .357 should handle a black bear, or so I've been told. One of my wife's co-workers was confronted by a black bear just south of Eugene last week, so they're out there.

I don't think you'll need suppressive fire to handle tweakers. Tweakers are like hyenas, they are creatures of opportunity. Just don't give them an opportunity to talk to you. They usually have some idiotic and suspicious pretext for wanting a ride, or wanting to use your phone. I don't even acknowledge them.

Someone mentioned David Paulides book, Missing 411, and this is some truly baffling stuff. Thousands of people do go missing in the western forests without a trace. I'm by no means an expert outdoorsman, but it is easy to get turned around out there, especially if you start making your own shortcuts or you get hurt. Once the sun goes down you are at a critical disadvantage.

Another GP100 user here. @djharteloo do you have a speed loader? It's relatively small and very easy to use. .357 should handle a black bear, or so I've been told. One of my wife's co-workers was confronted by a black bear just south of Eugene last week, so they're out there.

I don't think you'll need suppressive fire to handle tweakers. Tweakers are like hyenas, they are creatures of opportunity. Just don't give them an opportunity to talk to you. They usually have some idiotic and suspicious pretext for wanting a ride, or wanting to use your phone. I don't even acknowledge them.

Someone mentioned David Paulides book, Missing 411, and this is some truly baffling stuff. Thousands of people do go missing in the western forests without a trace. I'm by no means an expert outdoorsman, but it is easy to get turned around out there, especially if you start making your own shortcuts or you get hurt. Once the sun goes down you are at a critical disadvantage.
The GP has the added advantage of so much stainless in the barrel and strap it could probably be made into a small car with the right tools. Or used as a club once empty with no fear of damage:p.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top