JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm starting to look for a new general purpose back county pistol to take camping/deer/elk/bear hunting with me in western Washington. Currently I carry a 4 inch Ruger GP100 in .357 magnum but I'm wanting something with higher capacity. My ideas: Kimber Camp Guard 10mm, Glock 20sf, S&W M&P 2.0 .45ACP, or one of the new Ruger SR1911 10mms. Looking for input, Whats your favorite back country handgun?

I currently carry a 1911 in 45. It's a Dan Wesson CBOB. It is one of my favorite firearms.
I used to carry a S&W 686+ (7 shot) in 357, but I sold it when I got all F-in goo goo eyes over a CBOB in 10mm.
One of the stupidest firearms decisions I've ever made. Replicating that gun is on my very short "bucket list of guns".
Keep that GP100 and buy a speedloader.

Your 4" .357 GP100 is perfect for dangerous animals in the PNW, maybe consider an auto for the "two-legged" critters in a shoulder holster.

In addition to my rifle (when deer/elk hunting) I carry a 6" S&W .357 Highway Patrolman on a leather "hunter" gun belt & holster for "wildlife" needs, and a G19/G30 in a concealed shoulder holster for the two-legged predators.

When I'm duck hunting, in addition to my shotgun (for the birds) I conceal carry my G19/G30 in a shoulder rig (for the bums).

The OP is carrying a GP100 in .357. A truly fine pistol. But wants more capacity and equal or better stopping power. He really has only one option that does both fellas. And .45ACP ain't it. :D

So I had a thread talking about getting a G20. After breaking down a lot of data...I can't do it. 10mm is cool with a 6 inch barrel but I don't like the g40.

In all honesty op, stick with your 357. Or look at the sp101 in 4inch. Easy to hide/pack around.

I'm not talking penetration, only energy. The 10mm just seemed to bridge an unnecessary gap between a good .45 acp load from a 4-5 inch barrel and a mild 357 mag from 4-5 inch barrel. 10mm cannot compete with much of anything 357 mag 6 inches and beyond. Not to mention the 357 sig in a 4.5 inch barrel, g31, seems to deliver more energy than a G20 with it's 4.6 I'm not feeling the 10mm...maybe it has reloading advantages? Maybe you guys can tell me why I'm wrong about the 10mm. I really wanted to like it.

What about a desert eagle .50..... OP ....I say with orygun....keep it and get 1-2 speed loaders and be proficient.....If you want to sell... PM me....I'll find you a great HiPoint 10mm :)

Im using the gp100 just because thats what i have. I have no doubt that it'll handle wildlife issues, its the tweakers and other less then desirables in the woods these days that makes me lust for some kind of semi auto.

Nothing really wrong with the good old .45 or the .357 and the new 10 mm is simply awesome at breaking stuff, Killing things, and looking cool. Keep in mind one of the best things about the Big Ten is you can also run .40 Short and Weak through it when needed for practice or tweakers, and you can always go up to full pop Nuka 10 when ISIS ( or Mother In Law's) shows up to the party:):):)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews