JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A carjacking suspect who led police on an hour-long high-speed chase in Arizona shot himself in the head in an incident that was broadcast on live television Friday afternoon.

Fox 10 reports that the man, driving a red Dodge Caliber, pulled off I-10 westbound and onto a dirt road in Salome, Ariz. He exited the vehicle, ran, and then raised a gun to his head.

The shooting was aired live on the Fox News Channel.

Minutes later anchor Shepard Smith told viewers that the video was supposed to be on a delay, and apologized to the audience: "We really messed up. We're all very sorry. That didn't belong on TV. We took every precaution we knew how to take to keep that from being on TV. I personally apologize to you that happened."

Fox 10 reports that during the chase the car had reached speeds of more than 110 mph.

The website Buzzfeed has made the video of the chase and shooting available, and is drawing some criticism for doing so.

disclaimer: kind of hard to watch footage, but no blood or anything gorey.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually did not know they had 5 second delay on live stream.

In other news, that carjacker just saved taxpayers a ton of money.

If they had not shown it most of those watching would have Googled it till they saw the death. For once in a great while a news channel showed what really happened versus showing the spin. Personally it does me no good to see an actual death but I can handle it. Kinda agree with the idea that after the storm the guy started, he finally opted out and saved the world the trouble of dealing with him anymore.

Same thing happened with those heavily armed/armored bank robbers in North Hollywood. One was down and bleeding out, and the other was strolling down the sidewalk when he headshot himself from under the chin, all caught on helicopter video. They showed it once on TV that I saw, oddly hours after the incident with plenty of time to censor it. Yes, I said censor, not edit.

A blurry puff of smoke (mist?) and a truly evil monster collapsing like a large sack of sh*t. Looked like news to me.

Live is live and you get what you get. After that, if news providers want to pre-warn viewers before they show it again, I'm fine with that too. "Caution, we're about to re-air footage of a crazy criminal preventing/ending an armed standoff with the cops (most of whom have families), thereby saving taxpayers a bundle in frivolous brutality lawsuits, viewer discretion is advised."

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top