JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"Trap Free Oregon" is circulating petitions to get on the ballot in 2014 a measure that will ban ALL civilian trapping (with minor exemptions).

The group is based out of Bend, Oregon. This is their 3th attempt for such a ban.

Their bill requires that the state trap any animal except exempt animals:
mice
rats
gophers
moles
ground squirrels
non-furbearing rodents (undefined).

So it'll require the state to trap any tree squirrels, raccoons, possums, nutria, beavers, otters etc which are causing damage to structures, levies, embankments, canals etc.

OR

By an ODFW 30 day permit AFTER a "publicly available study has been completed (also undefined)".

So all the extermination businesses will likely be severely hurt or go under and ODFW will likely end up spending HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS to trap problem animals all over the state.

Even for someone who doesn't like trapping this initiative (not I, but for someone on the fence) is HORRIBLY structured and will cost the state with an already lopsided budget loads of money.

Haven't seen their recent ban petition but I've looked at their website. Not surprisingly it really plays on emotion and lumps trapping in with poisoning animals. It presents an inaccurate, biased view of trapping.

Same lies and same tactics as they used with hound hunters. Take the worst possible abusers and least responsible operators and hold them up as being typical. When that's not enough just tell outright lies based on their imaginations. It's standard Animal Rights stuff. They split off hound hunters and got that outlawed. Now they'll start in on trappers. Once they're done with trappers they'll start in on using retrievers for waterfowl hunting. Once they've outlawed using dogs for duck hunting they'll start complaining about too many ducks being wounded and wasted. They make a living at this, and have lawyers and lobbyists employed full time. The OHA abandoned hound hunters when hound hunting hit the ballot. It'll be interesting to see how loud they squeal for help when it's their sport on the line.

Anybody know who these folks are?

sliderbobcatpelts07530p.jpg

Trapfree Oregon is using this image on their website at TrapFree Oregon in order to raise funds. I doubt whoever it is has given them permission to use their likeness for commercial purposes.

I count upwards of 50 bobcats, so I doubt that picture is from Oregon. But they'll use anything to promote their causes. To bad those idiots don't work on human causes. Long live the fur trapper.

I count upwards of 50 bobcats, so I doubt that picture is from Oregon. But they'll use anything to promote their causes. To bad those idiots don't work on human causes. Long live the fur trapper.

I counted about 75 bobs and maybe 40 fox(?). That's a bunch of work. Doesn't matter where they are from though. You can't use someone's likeness for commercial purposes without their permission. Otherwise, you get sued. I hope these folks find out their picture is being used by an AR group.

Yea I doubt that pic is from oregon, there aren't that many animals left in the wild, all the more reason to get trappin' while there's still a few living critters left walking this state! :)

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Yea I doubt that pic is from oregon, there aren't that many animals left in the wild, all the more reason to get trappin' while there's still a few living critters left walking this state! :)

I'm not sure where you've been hiding, but there are critters all over Oregon. I see 3 or 4 coyotes a day when deer hunting, and the cougar have never been thicker. Bobcat over east are all over the place.

Thanks for posting this. The trapping community is not that big and is really an art that is being lost. I wish people would spend the time and find out the traps really worked and stop spreading lies and rumors about the trapping community.

I ran a trap line every winter on Table Rock Lake in SW Missouri for 5 years. The ignorant lies are amazing. No serious trapper misses checking his traps as early every day as he can. To do otherwise allows valuable fur to escape or be stolen. No serious trapper wants to catch someone's dog or cat. It takes time and money to properly prepare traps. Catching someone's pet or any other unintended target wastes that time and money. Dog and cat pelts aren't worth anything and the traps have to be reprocessed. No serious trapper uses traps large enough to break the bone in a fox or a coon's leg. A broken bone usually allows the animal to escape, and die later, wasting a valuable pelt. That means that your hound or retriever, or your own body is in no danger of serious injury if you or they accidentally step in a trap. Kill type traps must be set below the water line where no dog should be poking his nose.

Of course, PETA and HSUS directly contradict all this with their lies, painting trappers as lazy slobs. PETA and HSUS need to be prosecuted for racketeering.

---------

*******FREE INTERNET FAX SERVICE:********

Comments must be mailed or faxed. No emails. For those without a fax service go to www.gotfreefax.com simply type your comments in a word or text document and fax through that website. It's 100% free.

---------

Anti-Trapping Ballot Measure

Comments Needed! Deadline is February 5th

As we reported on Wednesday, the Secretary of State is now accepting public comments on the Draft Ballot Title for Initiative Petition #5, which seeks to ban trapping and the fur trade in Oregon.

The Draft Ballot Title is: Bans trapping, poisoning animals; trading in fur/body parts of trapped animal; body-gripping traps

Please, make your voice hear and submit your comments today!

You can submit your comments on the Draft Ballot Title to the Secretary of State's office by fax, mail, or in person. All comments are due by 5PM on February 5th. Postmarks do not count, and emails are not accepted. Remember, only those that submit public comments can appeal the Certified Ballot Title when it is announced in med-February.

Fax your comments to: 503-373-7414

-or-

Send or deliver your comments to:
Kate Brown, Secretary of State
Elections Division
255 Capitol Street NE, Suite 501
Salem, OR 97310

Suggested Comments

In consultation with legal counsel, we have drafted suggestions on what to include in your comments. At this time, your comments should focus on the ballot title and not the provisions of the measure itself.

Please consider these suggestions when preparing your comments. Use those comments that reflect your personal or organizational interests. The items in bold are critical.

Identify who you are and/or represent and why this issue is important to you and/or your organization.
The proposed ballot title identifies numerous topics. It is not descriptive of a single topic ballot measure, as is required by Article IV, Section 1(2)(d) of the Oregon Constitution, which states that "An initiative petition shall include the full text of the proposed law or amendment to the Constitution. A proposed law or amendment to the Constitution shall embrace one subject only and matters properly connected therewith."
The ballot title mentions trapping, poisoning, trading fur/body parts, and a specific type of trap. Clearly, the ballot title embraces more than a single topic.
The ballot title does not accurately explain or mention the permitting process established by the measure.
The ballot title does not explain or describe the signage requirements within the measure.
The ballot title states that the measure bans poisoning animals, but does not reflect that poisoning animals is already illegal under Oregon law.
The ballot title does not state that the measure allows poisoning of animals in certain circumstances.
The ballot title does not reflect changes to current law regarding animals causing damage on private property.
The ballot title does not reflect the measures preemption of federal law relating to predator control measures.
The ballot title does not reflect changes to existing law relating to proving animal problems or the relating non-lethal control measures required under the measure.
Make certain that your name, address, and signature as well as the date are included on your letter.
Please make a copy of your letter for your records and fax a copy to 503-685-9405 or email it to [email protected].

These suggested comments are meant to achieve the greatest possible impact at this stage in the process while steering us towards the ultimate goal of defeating this proposed measure.

The full text of IP #5 is available at: http://oregonvotes.org/irr/2014/005text.pdf

LAST DAY TO SUBMIT COMMENTS!

---------

*******FREE INTERNET FAX SERVICE:********

Comments must be mailed or faxed. No emails. For those without a fax service go to Free Fax ? Online Fax Service simply type your comments in a word or text document and fax through that website. It's 100% free.

---------

Anti-Trapping Ballot Measure

Comments Needed! Deadline is February 5th

As we reported on Wednesday, the Secretary of State is now accepting public comments on the Draft Ballot Title for Initiative Petition #5, which seeks to ban trapping and the fur trade in Oregon.

The Draft Ballot Title is: Bans trapping, poisoning animals; trading in fur/body parts of trapped animal; body-gripping traps

Please, make your voice hear and submit your comments today!

You can submit your comments on the Draft Ballot Title to the Secretary of State's office by fax, mail, or in person. All comments are due by 5PM on February 5th. Postmarks do not count, and emails are not accepted. Remember, only those that submit public comments can appeal the Certified Ballot Title when it is announced in med-February.

Fax your comments to: 503-373-7414

-or-

Send or deliver your comments to:
Kate Brown, Secretary of State
Elections Division
255 Capitol Street NE, Suite 501
Salem, OR 97310

Suggested Comments

In consultation with legal counsel, we have drafted suggestions on what to include in your comments. At this time, your comments should focus on the ballot title and not the provisions of the measure itself.

Please consider these suggestions when preparing your comments. Use those comments that reflect your personal or organizational interests. The items in bold are critical.

Identify who you are and/or represent and why this issue is important to you and/or your organization.
The proposed ballot title identifies numerous topics. It is not descriptive of a single topic ballot measure, as is required by Article IV, Section 1(2)(d) of the Oregon Constitution, which states that "An initiative petition shall include the full text of the proposed law or amendment to the Constitution. A proposed law or amendment to the Constitution shall embrace one subject only and matters properly connected therewith."
The ballot title mentions trapping, poisoning, trading fur/body parts, and a specific type of trap. Clearly, the ballot title embraces more than a single topic.
The ballot title does not accurately explain or mention the permitting process established by the measure.
The ballot title does not explain or describe the signage requirements within the measure.
The ballot title states that the measure bans poisoning animals, but does not reflect that poisoning animals is already illegal under Oregon law.
The ballot title does not state that the measure allows poisoning of animals in certain circumstances.
The ballot title does not reflect changes to current law regarding animals causing damage on private property.
The ballot title does not reflect the measures preemption of federal law relating to predator control measures.
The ballot title does not reflect changes to existing law relating to proving animal problems or the relating non-lethal control measures required under the measure.
Make certain that your name, address, and signature as well as the date are included on your letter.
Please make a copy of your letter for your records and fax a copy to 503-685-9405 or email it to [email protected].

These suggested comments are meant to achieve the greatest possible impact at this stage in the process while steering us towards the ultimate goal of defeating this proposed measure.

The full text of IP #5 is available at: http://oregonvotes.org/irr/2014/005text.pdf

Take a look at the crazy ODA pyrethroid application methods now. Pretty much stops us licensed professionals from legally doing anykind of actual preventative work. Mainly spot treatments which only address the problem when it has already become enough of a problem to be apparent.. And at that point quite a bit of damage can be done.

A lot of the recent label changes pretty much make it impossible to do the job as well as we used to. And that's not even all the other garbage that's been passed and what's on the table now.

We've invited too much of the government into our lives to the point to where a home owner now has to ask his county and sometimes his state for "permission" to even do anything on his own land. They try and trick us by calling their extortion receipts "permits".

I have to say that I did object to the Secretary of State about this ballot measure, but I hold out little hope. My experience is that that office does not even make a pretense of fairness, legality, or logic. We tried to get a hound hunting initiative on the ballot in Oregon, but the description and ballot title was not only inaccurate factually, it was basically written by the state chairman for HSUS. No amount of objection or detailing factual errors made any difference. We were simply steamrollered, so we withdrew the measure. It's time for the Democrats to be thrown out of office, but with Multnomah County being 80% Democrat I doubt it'll ever happen.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top