JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There used to be a huge underground bunker complex in Virginia aimed at supporting the entire US government underground for decades. In any emergency it was assumed that most people would reach the shelter by car. Lotsa luck with that. DC traffic is close to impossible under ideal conditions . Bunker closed decades ago.
Are we talking about the one near Cacapon, WV, or the one inside of Mt. Weather, near Berryville, VA? Storytime follows... :)

When the Sobo Clan repatriated from Italy for the final time in 1976, the Grand Sobo (a US Army Corps of Engineers civilian civil engineer) was assigned to work at the Mt. Weather complex. We moved to a spread outside of Front Royal (where the Grand Sobo is still holding down the old homestead, since 1976), which is less than a 65-mile crow-flight from the White House, a primary target of the Soviets. I asked him once that if we were attacked with nukes, would he survive us, since he worked underground. He responded that "he wasn't that important", and he'd be baked along with the rest of us sitting topside. He worked in the first level underground, and said that there was not enough protection to survive a blast. Interesting conversation, that was...

Last Edited:
Government Evacuation Plan for Weekday Working Hours Emergency:
Everyone leaves home or work in their cars driving calmly on designated routes to shelters carrying with them those without cars. School children are taken to shelters by school buses and reunited with parents.

Citizens Evacuation plan for weekday working hours emergency:
All parents jump in their cars and drive directly to schools to grab their kids. F the gov'ment plan. There are massive traffic jams in streets around all schools making roads impassible and blocking the exit of school buses. Some kids are rescued by their parents walking from cars deserted in stalled traffic and grabbing their kids from classrooms or bus areas. But now they have to walk out since streets are jammed. Other kids simply slip quietly away, leave school on foot or by bike, and head for home. A few buses that managed to leave before the onslaught of parents blocked the roads around the schools make it to the designated area and deliver kids. No arrangements have been made as to exactly how to reunite parents and children among crowds of thousands of refuges. Even where both parents and kids are in the shelter they never find each other for the duration of the emergency. The kids do fine. They are temporarily adopted by any family they know or by strangers. Some of the bigger kids have an outrageously good time just hanging around with each other. Most people don't evacuate at all. They figure they would rather stay home and protect their property from looters than get stuck in a traffic jam somewhere far from either home or designated shelters.

Last Edited:
Are we talking about the one near Cacapon, WV, or the one inside of Mt. Weather, near Berryville, VA? Storytime follows... :)

When the Sobo Clan repatriated from Italy for the final time in 1976, the Grand Sobo (a US Army Corps of Engineers civilian civil engineer) was assigned to work at the Mt. Weather complex. We moved to a spread outside of Front Royal (where the Grand Sobo is still holding down the old homestead, since 1976), which is less than a 65-mile crow-flight from the White House, a primary target of the Soviets. I asked him once that if we were attacked with nukes, would he survive us, since he worked underground. He responded that "he wasn't that important", and he'd be baked along with the rest of us sitting topside. He worked in the first level underground, and said that there was not enough protection to survive a blast. Interesting conversation, that was...
The one in the mountain.
Great story!

Yeah. I got the tongue in cheek. I responded that way because you seemed to think I'm a man. I'm not. I'm a lady. More or less. :p

There used to be a huge underground bunker complex in Virginia aimed at supporting the entire US government underground for decades. In any emergency it was assumed that most people would reach the shelter by car. Lotsa luck with that. DC traffic is close to impossible under ideal conditions . Bunker closed decades ago.
My apologies for the slight. I know you are a lady and I read ever single
post you put out. You speak from logic and common sense with a bit of wry humor
often thrown in. I commend that.

So... if an actual emergency occurs at approximately 2:20 p.m. ET will everyone just ignore it? Only to later find out that "our" enemies took advantage of this distraction?
Great!,, now i am laying in bed staring at the ceiling..... :):s0140:

Last Edited:
If we aren't supposed to respond, how do they know what fraction of the population they have reached?
Sounds like this is similar to the monthly tests of the emergency broadcast system that were so annoying when I had TV. The objective is to test their equipment and the broadcast network, not necessarily whether or not any given proportion of the public sees the warning.

I will be out of cell service area on the 4th will be interesting to see if that "SOS"connection on my cell actually works
You can disable those alerts in your phone settings. (Or at least you can for amber alerts, severe weather, etc).

I got tired of the amber alerts in Yakima popping up on my phone at 2:00 in the morning.

I normally have my phone turned off and in a tin cookie can. Battery never needs charging as it doesn't search for a tower or send and recieve. Those who know me know this so I never miss a call...they just don't call :s0140:

One other problem with Adam and Eve story. What God should have said to Eve is "And you have to pretend to let Adam rule over you, even though he wasn't brave enough to try the apples on his own or smart enough to invent apple pie."

Government Evacuation Plan for Weekday Working Hours Emergency:
Everyone leaves home or work in their cars driving calmly on designated routes to shelters carrying with them those without cars. School children are taken to shelters by school buses and reunited with parents.

Citizens Evacuation plan for weekday working hours emergency:
All parents jump in their cars and drive directly to schools to grab their kids. F the gov'ment plan. There are massive traffic jams in streets around all schools making roads impassible and blocking the exit of school buses. Some kids are rescued by their parents walking from cars deserted in stalled traffic and grabbing their kids from classrooms or bus areas. But now they have to walk out since streets are jammed. Other kids simply slip quietly away, leave school on foot or by bike, and head for home. A few buses that managed to leave before the onslaught of parents blocked the roads around the schools make it to the designated area and deliver kids. No arrangements have been made as to exactly how to reunite parents and children among crowds of thousands of refuges. Even where both parents and kids are in the shelter they never find each other for the duration of the emergency. The kids do fine. They are temporarily adopted by any family they know or by strangers. Some of the bigger kids have an outrageously good time just hanging around with each other. Most people don't evacuate at all. They figure they would rather stay home and protect their property from looters than get stuck in a traffic jam somewhere far from either home or designated shelters.
THIS ^^^^^^^^^

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top