JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"...The national test will consist of two portions, testing WEA and EAS capabilities. Both tests are scheduled to begin at approximately 2:20 p.m. ET..."

Hopefully won't interrupt my sleep (on a graveyard shift block). Shouldn't, if it goes as scheduled. But bureaucrats are involved, so who knows.

Turning off phones is unfortunately not an option (family & call).

So... if an actual emergency occurs at approximately 2:20 p.m. ET will everyone just ignore it? Only to later find out that "our" enemies took advantage of this distraction?

I'm not one of the ones who is against the test. I'm just saying that unless they get a positive response from recipient they don't know recipient got message. Just because someone sends an email or text message doesn't mean anyone reads it.
Any test like that would have a whole bunch of test nodes set up to confirm reception of transmissions. Otherwise it would be a fruitless and moronic experiment. Like somebody skipped their DOE course in engineering school.

Last Edited:
There is a difference between a phone receiving a transmission and a human receiving a transmission. For a long period I used a cheap cell phone only for emergencies or as backup in case land line went out. I needed land line because I was doing a lot of interviews, some live broadcasted. Cell phones are too poor quality. I used cell phone only away from home, maybe a few times a year. It could do text messages. I didn't use it for that. It accumulated text messages. I never even bothered to figure out how to use the text messaging. Anybody I knew would be calling me on my land line. Even if the phone owner sees the message, maybe he deletes it as junk. Unless the test is set up so that people must respond at least by punching 1, I think it isn't going to mean much.

Russia is testing to but they have bomb shelters to go to.
You sir are almost entirely correct. However, it is my understanding that our elected folks
in congress as well as the prez and his many minions all have underground shelters
readily available to them so they can continue to function in their various tasks of
protecting us citizens.

You sir are almost entirely correct. However, it is my understanding that our elected folks
in congress as well as the prez and his many minions all have underground shelters
readily available to them so they can continue to function in their various tasks of
protecting us citizens.
You mean like they are protecting our border against millions of invading aliens? :D :s0140:

You, MA'AM, are almost entirely correct. However, it is my understanding that our elected folks
readily available to them so they can continue to DISfunction in their various tasks of NOT
protecting us citizens.
Fixed it for ya.

Hopefully you noticed my comments were "tongue in cheek." I just wanted to point
out that those entrusted with protecting America have NOT done so while protecting their
own azzes.
Yeah. I got the tongue in cheek. I responded that way because you seemed to think I'm a man. I'm not. I'm a lady. More or less. :p

There used to be a huge underground bunker complex in Virginia aimed at supporting the entire US government underground for decades. In any emergency it was assumed that most people would reach the shelter by car. Lotsa luck with that. DC traffic is close to impossible under ideal conditions . Bunker closed decades ago.

I've observed there is a good sized percentage of the population that, by choice, lives in a state of perpetual outrage. That might explain it. Not I care (I don't), but that can't be a pleasant way to go about life.
Yup there is always a game on to take our minds off our civic duty to care about our country. Go Ducks I guess. :s0158:

Well, it's reassuring to know that as long as the government has months to prepare, they will be able to let us know about important information like earthquakes, weather events and missle strikes.

So helpful.

I'd rather have it that way.
I don't trust the gubmint to care for or protect me.
If I wanted a shelter, I would build one.
If one is interested in reading about the Quixotic attempt at a national shelter plan, a good, short read is
Every Home a Fortress: Cold War Fatherhood and the Family Fallout Shelter, by Thomas Bishop (University of Mass. Press, 2020). The goal may have been commendable, but how it was rolled out was pretty much a fail-o-rama. Regardless, it was an interesting read, along with some other entries in the series.

Parenthetically, Pat Frank (author of Alas, Babylon) in the nonfiction How to Survive the H-Bomb, and Why (Lippincott, 1962) recommended devising a nation-wide wireless emergency alert for atomic attack. As envisioned, it was a device that would attach to a radio or television set and, when activated, would alert the citizenry. Sounds like he was ahead of his time, though the utility of said is still a matter of debate.

Last Edited:
Well, it's reassuring to know that as long as the government has months to prepare, they will be able to let us know about important information like earthquakes, weather events and missle strikes.

So helpful.
At best it would be a warning where the next virus was let loose and to stay in your homes...until the election is overboard :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top