JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A motar would be a NFA weapon classified as a Destructive device and as such require a Tax stamp. I doubt the state of Oregon has anything on the books that addresses' that type of weapon.

A mortar or cannon is legal at the federal level if the propellant is black powder and the projectile is not explosive.

I think you may also have to use a fuse, although I have seen them with percussion caps.

I seem to remember that it cannot have a breech, the breech end has to be welded - effectively making it a muzzleloader.

I forget all the details. It has been about 20 years since I went to a private shoot where there were both mortars and cannon and the details were discussed. This was in eastern WA so I can't speak to Oregon law.

We had a lot of fun with them though.

You would have to lookup the details - maybe on the ATF site.

I do remember the black powder being one of the requirements, the other being the projectile must be solid and non-exploding.

Yeah, What Heretic said. Not sure about Oregon law but the FED's are good as long as it is black powder and muzzle loaded. If it is breach or uses a cartridge its probably a destructive device and requires a tax stamp.

Interesting bit that destructive devices are the far most common NFA item with over 2 million registered, Less than a million suppressors last time I heard. and I think something like a quarter million machine guns.

I seem to remember one guy was using a breech loader, with percussion caps in a used mortar shell and black powder, but something about the way he did it made it legal?

Like I said, it was about two decades ago.

I remember them saying the hot setup was to get some cut up tank barrel with a good bore, cut off each end square (properly perpendicular like a muzzle), then weld up one end to be the breech end and the other end was a muzzle. Plenty strong enough for black powder, large enough bore to be a mortar, and it has rifling to boot.

If anybody remembers "Shep" (and Angie The Sightman) from the Seattle area and his private shoots in eastern WA, that was the group. I went to two of the shoots with a few of my bullpups which got me in the door (you had to have something unique to be invited).

Some .50 BMG rifles, some mortars and cannons, and one guy who was licensed showed up with some dynamite (he had the permits - he was a demolition guy).

The last time I went, a guy got bit by a baby rattlesnake and his arm swelled up and turned black.

Muzzle loading black powder mortars are legal in Oregon, I've had several for years. I used to go to cannon shoots in northern California and there were people who had modern type mortars converted to black powder and fuse. One of the main rules used to be that it couldn't fire a fixed shell, had to be powder and fuse. Mine shoot either golf balls or cement filled beer cans.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top