JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes the individual needs to be safe. When you're investigating a noise on the back 40 and trip over a root wad, crash into your barb wire fence, always always make sure to keep that finger out of the trigger guard!

Yes the individual needs to be safe. When you're investigating a noise on the back 40 and trip over a root wad, crash into your barb wire fence, always always make sure to keep that finger out of the trigger guard!

Unless I plan on blowing something up with my 44 mag, my finger is riding the frame above the trigger guard.

...chances of someone or something pulling the trigger without my supervision...

Why are you leaving a loaded gun unsupervised is my question. If my gun is loaded it's in it's holster or right next to me, otherwise it's in the safe.

Also, getting even the slightest bit drunk when you are carrying is extremely negligent, and there is no excuse for that since it is entirely under your control.

Why are you leaving a loaded gun unsupervised is my question. If my gun is loaded it's in it's holster or right next to me, otherwise it's in the safe. Also, getting even the slightest bit drunk when you are carrying is extremely negligent, and there is no excuse for that since it is entirely under your control.

You are doing it right, dude. However, a trained, experienced police officer in WA left a loaded gun in his car not long ago, it was in the news. His 3-year old son shot and killed his older daughter. What a tragic mistake made by someone who had been following the rules for many years. A safety may have saved her life (and his freedom - not sure if he was convicted or not).

I also follow the rules and encourage everybody to follow them, but if something extraordinary happens to my gun, judgment or surroundings, the extra protection may save someone's life, and it costs me nothing.

Controversial? Nope...

Outdated, sophomoric, uninformed, and a little sad? Absolutely.
But not controversial.

I postulate that every time you have an an inkling to "submit" another opinion, you first click that little red closewindowxbutton.gif in the top right hand of your screen. :)

No amount of locks or safeties will compensate for unsafe gun handling.

It would seem to me that the inescapable conclusion of your logic is that safeties are not needed on any gun, including rifles and shotguns. Is that what you are advocating?

It would seem to me that the inescapable conclusion of your logic is that safeties are not needed on any gun, including rifles and shotguns. Is that what you are advocating?

Safeties fail, safeties do not make people better at handling firearms. The 4 basic rules should be followed 100% of the time. Safety or not, user error or not ,if the 4 rules as followed it doesn't matter.

A Glock, like all striker fired pistols, CAN NOT discharge unless the trigger is presses from the face all the way to the rear. Let me know how that's going to happen without human action upon the pistol.

You are inferring that the pistol is somehow safer because the human interacting with it has additional mechanical safeties which must be seen and interpreted as well as engaged by the human interacting with it.

Negligent discharges happen when humans choose not to train to safely interact with a firearm and scrupulously maintain that training and mind set at all times.

Sounds to me like you want to replace the training with gadgets.

Please leave firearms along until you go with the training and mindset as it is just a mater of time until you have the ND and hurt someone.

Safeties fail, safeties do not make people better at handling firearms. The 4 basic rules should be followed 100% of the time. Safety or not, user error or not ,if the 4 rules as followed it doesn't matter.

Oh no, it does matter. If everybody followed the 4 rules, a lot of people would still be alive today. Given enough time and opportunity people can fail at anything, especially following rules.

You already have multiple safeties in all your guns. Why do manufacturers use triggers with a substantial weight of pull (instead of, let me exaggerate, buttons)? - Because the trigger pull weight makes accidental discharges less likely (even if at the expense of accuracy and rate of fire). Why do you have a trigger guard? - Because it protects the trigger from being pulled by something else. Neither the trigger pull weight nor the guard slow you down considerably because you practice with them. An external safety (invented centuries ago) is the same thing.

Now, your personal mileage may vary. If you clear Afghan villages for a living and do a lot of reactive shooting, then your odds of being too slow to disengage the safety are greater than your odds of having an unwanted discharge. In those circumstances, some soldiers remove/tape their safeties as they simply get in the way. I am a civilian in a relatively safe community, so a civilian safety standard (which includes the external safety and a field-stripping procedure that does not involve pulling the trigger) is more applicable to my case.

If there was a reliable, non-battery-operated biometric safety device that would prevent anyone from firing my pistols except the people I choose, I would use it.

Now, your personal mileage may vary. If you clear Afghan villages for a living and do a lot of reactive shooting, then your odds of being too slow to disengage the safety are greater than your odds of having an unwanted discharge. In those circumstances, some soldiers remove/tape their safeties as they simply get in the way.

I am a civilian in a relatively safe community, so a civilian safety standard (which includes the external safety and a field-stripping procedure that does not involve pulling the trigger) is more applicable to my case.

Either you are a troll or have some seriously flawed understanding of firearms handling.

For the first part of the above paragraph you are either listening to some idiots who are lying in an attempt to seem cool OR you are listening to some idiots who should be kicked out of the service for endangering everyone around them.

The "cool kids" in the service now have another law - The safety is always on unless you are on target. That's what prevents the gear hanging off their armor from firing the rifle when it's hanging on the sling.

For the second part of the paragraph - There is only one standard for firearms handling and you either do it or you will have ND's. So get with the program or get rid of your firearms because your ND will end up on the news and add to the negative press already affecting me.

So a pistol with a 1mm single action hair trigger is just as safe as any other pistol because the safety is my brain right?

So if someone falls over or gets tackled and the finger that used to be indexed along the trigger guard gets smashed into the guard and the weight of the person or bad guy or whatever causes a "ND" (cuz there are no AD's right?) that's the operators fault and that pistol was every bit as safe as any other pistol with or without a safety because the brain is the only safety that counts.

Got it.

So get with the program or get rid of your firearms because your ND will end up on the news and add to the negative press already affecting me.

Go grab my firearms, make my day :) The difference between us is that I am not suggesting that you should turn your Glock in because of my opinion of its safety.

I repeat that YOUR mileage may vary, and if you believe that following the 4 rules alone gives YOU enough safety and having a lever on a gun is somehow bad for your well-being - go ahead and never use one.

For ME, following the 4 rules PLUS a thumb safety is a better package - given where I live and what I know about my surroundings. A manual safety has never stopped anyone from practicing the 4 rules, never been recommended as a replacement for them. So a Glock - or any other pistol without a thumb safety - is not safe enough for ME and my family.

So a pistol with a 1mm single action hair trigger is just as safe as any other pistol because the safety is my brain right?

I think you're missing the point of the argument, it's not a DA with a safety vs. a single action with a super light trigger, it's essentially two equal DA (or striker fired) guns except one has a safety. If I decided to carry my gun as a single action I would do it with the safety on. I feel that the DA pull combined with trigger discipline and awareness is enough to keep it from going off unless I want.

Also want to add that as Netspirit has pointed out this is all opinion, I feel my method of carry is safe enough, and he feels his is, does that make either of the guns we carry any less safe because of how we choose to carry them? No. Too light of a trigger pull does though.

I think you're missing the point of the argument, it's not a DA with a safety vs. a single action with a super light trigger, it's essentially two equal DA (or striker fired) guns except one has a safety. If I decided to carry my gun as a single action I would do it with the safety on. I feel that the DA pull combined with trigger discipline and awareness is enough to keep it from going off unless I want.

Also want to add that as Netspirit has pointed out this is all opinion, I feel my method of carry is safe enough, and he feels his is, does that make either of the guns we carry any less safe because of how we choose to carry them? No. Too light of a trigger pull does though.

Ok, so let's say you arm 1,000,000 people with Ruger SR40c and another 1,000,000 people with Glock 23 and do a 10 year study. All 2 million have the exact same training and work environment etc. There will be no less accidents with the G23 than the Ruger?

Ok, so let's say you arm 1,000,000 people with Ruger SR40c and another 1,000,000 people with Glock 23 and do a 10 year study. All 2 million have the exact same training and work environment etc. There will be no less accidents with the G23 than the Ruger?

Again, you're talking about something other than the subject of the thread. How would that prove anything? If you give 1,000,000 people one kind of car and 1,000,000 another kind of car and one has more crashes, would that mean the other car is safer?

How you use it and your attitude and awareness are far more important than any safety device on a gun. If I had several kids and had to go in and out of someplace that didn't allow my carry gun forcing me to leave it in the car with the kids, I would probably use the safety, or unload it, just in case I forgot to lock it up or something. That decision would have nothing to do with how safe my gun is or isn't though, only with how safe I was in using it.

A Glock or any other gun not having a manual safety doesn't make it unsafe, the only time I'd consider a gun unsafe is if it's capable of going off without any human interaction (aside from things like poorly made, damaged, etc.).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top