JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure how many here shoot archery also. But here's my issues and question. I shoot my bow right/right my pistol right/left and long guns left/left. Shoot my bow accurately out to 50-60yds. But struggle mightily shooting rifles right/right. But shoot them well left/left. Not sure why there's such a discrepancy between they two. Hope all of this makes sense. I know I sound all kinds of messed up.

I'm right handed/left eye dominant and was trained in childhood to sight with my right eye. Eye dominance plays a small roll, but how you train plays a huge role. Much of the mechanics of shooting both archery and firearms is just exactly that, mechanics. I've been shooting arrows and bullets "right/right" for over 60 years, and even though I'm left eye dominant, I'm a much better shot "right right" because that's the primary way I train.

I'm right handed/left eye dominant and was trained in childhood to sight with my right eye. Eye dominance plays a small roll, but how you train plays a huge role. Much of the mechanics of shooting both archery and firearms is just exactly that, mechanics. I've been shooting arrows and bullets "right/right" for over 60 years, and even though I'm left eye dominant, I'm a much better shot "right right" because that's the primary way I train.
Please share I'm all ears. Never to old to learn new things. If you'd like you can PM me if you would like. I'm very interested to hear what works for you.Thank you.

Actually I bought a bolt action Remington rifle and I was very awkward to operate the bolt. It's more comfortable to run the bolt on a right hand rifle. I know I know I'm just all messed up.

Actually I bought a bolt action Remington rifle and I was very awkward to operate the bolt. It's more comfortable to run the bolt on a right hand rifle. I know I know I'm just all messed up.
As long as you can hit what you're shooting at is what counts.

As long as you can hit what you're shooting at is what counts.
If my students are shooing with their non-dominant eye I ask them how long they've been shooting that way. If it's more than a month and they're happy with it I let it go. If not, I suggest that they try using their dominant eye and the hand from that side. Shooting cross-dominance is tricky, especially with rifles. But mostly it's about what you're comfortable with. Same goes with grip, stance etc. There are guidelines that can be very helpful, but at the end of the day we're all different. A comfortable shooter is a confident shooter, and a confident shooter... blah, blah sunshine, lollipops and rainbows. :)

Great topic!!
My son is right hand/left eye dominant, with rifle and pistol.
He looks contorted to me, but I told him to do what feels right to him.
He's a dang good shooter.

Hey folks I forgot to mention in the post about me but a bolt action rifle it was a left handed rifle. And it was very awkward running the bolt with my left hand. The rifle I do own is a right handed bolt action rifle.

Great topic!!
My son is right hand/left eye dominant, with rifle and pistol.
He looks contorted to me, but I told him to do what feels right to him.
He's a dang good shooter.
2A2Dend that's why I'm trying to figure out why I shoot my compound bow fine right/right but not a rifle. Crazy!!!

Do you use a bow with sights or are you a "instinctive archery shooter"...?
I shoot my bows that way... Both eyes open , no sights and just focusing on where I want my arrow to hit on the target...
'Course my bows are a Osage stick and string or a Hickory stick and string...:D
Andy

I shoot my bows that way... Both eyes open , no sights and just focusing on where I want my arrow to hit on the target...
Andy
Yes I use my peep sight left eye closed.

Andy
I shoot traditional as well, I really need to get a hold of a blank or two and make a bow.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top