JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Archery is tons of fun. Once upon a time I had one, now I just shoot my brothers.
IMG_0859.JPG

When I asked my shop teacher about making my own bow, neither one of us realized how much effort it would take to make the jig and hot box to cure the fiberglass resin.
The shop teacher came up with a great way to put even pressure on all of the components when in the jig.
He found a length of canvas/rubber fire hose and made a plug for both ends and installed a tire schrader valve to pump in air pressure so it could press evenly down the length of the bow while it sat overnight in the hot box.

Sounds like y'all had a fun day
If you are handy, bows aren't too hard to make. The nicest ones do but I made one and I'm not that handy with wood working
But, if you watch around there is usually some used bows out there. I'm talking recurve or like my bow. A used compound is a gamble unless you know the guy never dry fired the bow
Garage sales and Craigslist is a good place to look.
Some folks are too proud of their used factory bows but some just want them out of the way
Anyway good luck with this new endeavor,you should have lots of fun with it

Thought I'd wake my own thread up again.

Took the wife, daughter and one of her friends back to Archers Afield yesterday for refresher lesson. Had a lot of fun again. The folks at Archers Afield are really nice and helpful to noobs like us. My wife really wants to set up an archery range in the back yard. So hopefully we'll make that happen in the not too distant future. My daughter seems to be a natural at this stuff, so I want to continue to encourage it with her.

If anyone is interested in trying them out, they run a recurring deal on Groupon - $29 for a 30 minute private lesson for up to 5 people - bows, arrows and targets included. Then you get unlimited range time on their indoor range when you're done. They'll teach kids and adults and have a variety of bows available to suit individual needs.

Thought I'd wake my own thread up again.

Took the wife, daughter and one of her friends back to Archers Afield yesterday for refresher lesson. Had a lot of fun again. The folks at Archers Afield are really nice and helpful to noobs like us. My wife really wants to set up an archery range in the back yard. So hopefully we'll make that happen in the not too distant future. My daughter seems to be a natural at this stuff, so I want to continue to encourage it with her.

If anyone is interested in trying them out, they run a recurring deal on Groupon - $29 for a 30 minute private lesson for up to 5 people - bows, arrows and targets included. Then you get unlimited range time on their indoor range when you're done. They'll teach kids and adults and have a variety of bows available to suit individual needs.

A good inexpensive practice target ta a burlap bag stuffed with plastic bags. I use small zip ties to see it up. It works great for target points but will not work with broadheads!

I find using strips of card board cut 12" wide and as long as you want to make them glued ( laminated) together in a stack as tall as you like makes for awesome targets, and it's all from recycling! With the holidays around the corner, you should be up to yer eye balls in cardboard in no time! Will work for most heads, but broad heads will be very hard to remove, so I dont recommend them! The targets will also hold up to a pretty nasty cross bow! Wink Wink!:D

I find using strips of card board cut 12" wide and as long as you want to make them glued ( laminated) together in a stack as tall as you like makes for awesome targets, and it's all from recycling! With the holidays around the corner, you should be up to yer eye balls in cardboard in no time! Will work for most heads, but broad heads will be very hard to remove, so I dont recommend them! The targets will also hold up to a pretty nasty cross bow! Wink Wink!:D
I made one similar but used threaded rod to compress the cardboard. The thing was heavy and I learned early to brace it up as it was hard on arrows if it tipped over on them .:rolleyes:

Oh, don't tempt me. I've been eyeballing crossbows for a long time now. Would love to add one to the collection some day.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top