JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It was my birthday this weekend and my wife had been asking what I wanted to do. I had come across a special deal for a 30 minute archery lesson for up to 5 people, rental equipment included and had bought the package back in December, and time was coming up to use it. So my wife and daughter and I took an archery lesson yesterday at a place in Tigard called "Archers Afield". My wife and daughter had expressed and interest in archery, and I've wanted to learn to properly shoot a bow for a long time. Seemed like a good time to try it out.

They took us to a private area and gave us instruction on how to hold the bow, how to draw, how to aim and most importantly, how to keep from hitting your arm with the bow string (ouch!). We were working at 7 yards to start and moved out further, I eventually ended up shooting about 20 yards. We were each shooting recurve bows, I was shooting a moderate draw 24-26lb bow, my wife and daugther shooting under 10lbs.

We learned some of the finer points of how to hold and aim and where to anchor our string for proper aiming and sight picture - and I have to say, when doing things the right way, it feels a bit unnatural, but when you do it right, it sure works! Turns out my daughter not only really enjoyed herself, but it would appear she's a natural with a bow. Wow, she did a great job!

So, after that, it looks like we may need to get 3 bows here in the near future (nothing too fancy, probably some starter recurve bows. We've got plenty of room to shoot in our yard, so it would be a lot of fun to do when I can't get out to the range to shoot the guns. And I'm excited to see something that my wife and daughter both enjoy doing as well. Anyway, looks like we've got yet another little hobby to add to our arsenal :)

Oh, BTW, that same deal is still available - $29 for up to 5 folks, age 7 and up. Our instructor was very friendly as was the rest of the staff. I'd definitely recommend it if it's something you're interested in. Here's a link to the Groupon deal, that currently says it expires tonight, but they seem to keep renewing the deal: Half-Hour Private Archery Lesson for Up to Five People (Up to 55% Off)

Thats pretty sweet.
When I was looking for a bow I went to this place in Vancouver that has a small indoor range. The guy was showing me a bow and let me fire a couple arrows.
1st one snapped my arm something fierce and I had to pretend it didn't hurt so I didn't look stupid.

But it forkin hurt. Bad. 1st and last time that happened

That snap will happen with a longbow;).

Best to have a brace if your shooting those.

My experience with a recurve and compound is limited.

Once I get good at hunting I want to do muskets and then move to compound bows for earlier season hunting.

Sounds like the family had a great time! Congrats and happy belated birthday:cool:.

Thats pretty sweet.
When I was looking for a bow I went to this place in Vancouver that has a small indoor range. The guy was showing me a bow and let me fire a couple arrows.
1st one snapped my arm something fierce and I had to pretend it didn't hurt so I didn't look stupid.

But it forkin hurt. Bad. 1st and last time that happened

Yeah, I got the arm slap a few times before I learned the lesson about how to properly hold my arm - got a nice big bruise to remind me to bend my elbow. They did have arm guards and I eventually did put one one, just so I could leave with some skin on my arm ;)

That snap will happen with a longbow;).

My experience with a recurve and compound is limited.

Once I get good at hunting I want to do muskets and then move to compound bows for earlier season hunting.

Sounds like the family had a great time! Congrats and happy belated birthday:cool:.

The instructor showed it is entirely possible to shoot a long bow without an arm guard - it's all in how you hold the bow. Hold it properly, and your arm won't get hit. Out of probably 150 shots yesterday, I only hit my arm 3 times - but those 3 times made their impression ;)

thats awesome!!! archers afield is a good shop! nice staff. i only know because i see them at the sportsmans show every once in a while as i have a local bow shop here in salem. i shoot a 70lb compound bow. it has an 80% let off so at full draw its like holding 14lbs. i love hearing when people get into archery. just as i feel about guns, everyone should try archery. congratulations to you and your family! archery is like golf in a way. its all on you to make your shots!!

My son recently bought a Hoyt Ignite bow there, and I have a Hoyt Pro Defiant on order. Good bunch of guys, quick way to burn through 2k:cool:.

My son recently bought a Hoyt Ignite bow there, and I have a Hoyt Pro Defiant on order. Good bunch of guys, quick way to burn through 2k:cool:. Another place they told us about is Sylvan Archers in Sherwood. Outdoor shooting out to 100yds. I think we are going to join.
its pretty awesome if you practice from 80-130yrds your 20-70 seems like nothin. my spot hogg is good to 130yrd. hard to make a shot but like uncle ted says "aim small, miss small"

I have the new Spot Hogg Hogg Father on order:). Should be lots of fun.
you will love it. i ditched the factory sight tape and made my own sight tape out of white athletic tape and a sharpie. mines the tommy hogg 5 pin. i halfway wish it was the 7 pin tho. reason being is i could have 20-80 without moving the sight BUT i have always had a 5 pin and my 80 pin was the top of my bubble level. same goes for the tommy hogg. if i dont have time to make an adjustment while hunting for 80yrd i just go off the level. RARELY will i make an 80yrd shot in a deer though. i feel its a little irresponsible no matter how much one practices. elk, different story.

thats awesome!!! archers afield is a good shop! nice staff. i only know because i see them at the sportsmans show every once in a while as i have a local bow shop here in salem. i shoot a 70lb compound bow. it has an 80% let off so at full draw its like holding 14lbs. i love hearing when people get into archery. just as i feel about guns, everyone should try archery. congratulations to you and your family! archery is like golf in a way. its all on you to make your shots!!

Funny, I was mentally making that comparison during the lesson. When you're doing everything the right way, it really doesn't feel 'normal', but it works. Same as with golf. Just have to overcome the more natural tendencies such as how I hold so I can learn to do this properly.

I did get one bullseye though - right on the X! Probably a fluke.

My son recently bought a Hoyt Ignite bow there, and I have a Hoyt Pro Defiant on order. Good bunch of guys, quick way to burn through 2k:cool:. Another place they told us about is Sylvan Archers in Sherwood. Outdoor shooting out to 100yds. I think we are going to join.

If we start doing this regularly, we can also shoot further at Douglas Ridge - they have an archery range set up there too.

Archery is a very fun and nice way to relax ... Kinda like shooting guns , only no ear protection needed.
( unless someone is cussing to much over a bad shot :D )
Glad you had fun etrain and Happy Birthday!
Just for fun here is my most used set up.
Osage long bow 58# made by Brisky Bows.
Andy
DSC06040.jpg

Archery is a very fun and nice way to relax ... Kinda like shooting guns , only no ear protection needed.
( unless someone is cussing to much over a bad shot :D )
Glad you had fun etrain and Happy Birthday!
Just for fun here is my most used set up.
Osage long bow 58# made by Brisky Bows.
Andy
View attachment 349223

Nice bow! There is a guy I've seen at the Clackamas County fair that has some nice hand-made long bows on display (I don't think he sells them) that are some fine pieces of work.

Just out of curiosity, what is the draw weight on a bow like that?

Thanks etrain.
My osage bow has a draw weight of 58 pounds.
I use it for fun and hunting... so its kinda heavy.
A good weight for fun shooting is 20-40 pounds.
( for most adults )

Curt Brisky will make 'em any weight ... or you can take his class and he'll help you make your own.
Andy

not only is it fun and relaxing, every time you walk to get your arrows you are being healthy at the same time. when i shoot 100+ yards about 20 or 30 times, those steps add up

In my junior year of high school I made a couple of laminated fiberglass/wood re-curve bows for my class project.
It was a lot of work, but they looked great.
One of them was a good shooter, but somehow I never could get the other one to shoot properly.

the cool thing about recurves is the instinctive shooting. i mean unless you have a sight on it. i havent shot much recurve but the times i have its challenging. been spoiled with a compound bow. its pretty neat how similar shooting a compound bow is to a rifle with open sights. they both have a front and rear sight you gotta line up. i'll tell ya, it stings a bit when your forearm gets slapped by the string of a compound. it turns into a welt like 6" long. UGGHH:eek:

Nice bow! There is a guy I've seen at the Clackamas County fair that has some nice hand-made long bows on display (I don't think he sells them) that are some fine pieces of work.

Just out of curiosity, what is the draw weight on a bow like that?

There is a company that advertises on CL and they handmade custom bows as well as have a shooting range I think.

It's down in the SE of Portland I believe.

That's about all I remember other then they had some nice looking bows.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top