JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any of you guys have/use the AR500 plates and carrier? I see its pretty cheap ( $185 till tomorrow ) and id like to get a set to have. just incase. and I want to know how it is, quality wise and, specially for the larger guys, how it fits.

Purchased mine from a member here.
I swear by it. Heavy, but by far the BEST "poor mans armor".
IMO its better than soft armor as well as ceramics.
I feel if Im dawning my armor, weight wont be an issue because Id be defending a position rather than attacking one.

Second, a font plate would be all one would need if just for extra home defense measures.
In SHTF, it isn't practical because even superficial wounds could kill. But so long as hospitals or medically educated folks are willing to repair my damage then they'll (my plates) serve a purpose, for me at least.

Its better to have them and not need them.

I think i'm going to order it tonight..did you happen to get the standard plated or the curved ones?

Curved front plate & flat back plate, i figured the curved plate with the rhino liner (what ever lining they put on it) would be beneficial for any potential spawling.

Im very happy with my purchase. I feel if I ever need the room or cash, the cost is low enough to ensure a resale or trade if need be. And the fact that the AR500 armor doesbt have a shelf life or impact limit like the others.

doing alittle research and it looks like the carrier is pretty crappy. I may just get a carrier and then buy some ar500 plates for it.

I think that ar500 plate is horrible choice for body armor. Have you ever seen what a bullet does when it hits plate steel. It explodes and sends little pieces of shrapnel all over the place. I shoot ar500 targets on my range with tree limbs above it. The tree limbs regularly get cut off with shrapnel during shooting. Just my opinion.

Here is one more thing to consider. The cops previously used metal trauma plates on their vests. Most have stopped using them due to several officers being killed when bullets deflected and hit them in the head. Body armor should catch and retain the bullet. Just stopping it is the wrong idea for body armor. Ceramic plates would be the way to go.

I think that ar500 plate is horrible choice for body armor. Have you ever seen what a bullet does when it hits plate steel. It explodes and sends little pieces of shrapnel all over the place. I shoot ar500 targets on my range with tree limbs above it. The tree limbs regularly get cut off with shrapnel during shooting. Just my opinion.

Here is one more thing to consider. The cops previously used metal trauma plates on their vests. Most have stopped using them due to several officers being killed when bullets deflected and hit them in the head. Body armor should catch and retain the bullet. Just stopping it is the wrong idea for body armor. Ceramic plates would be the way to go.
I have to disagree. Its called spawling and its actually an easy fix. Be it the liner or "flash plate" or rubber layering.. all are terrific remedies that help prevent the shrapnel from being directed to the arms or head.

Ceramics are only logical if: A. You've got a boat load of money to rotate out or replace or B. you have an military/leo agency who supplies you. Plus there are specific conditions they have to be kept it and they're only good for a shot or two.

For average joes, simple soft armor will suffice, but our best options for SHTF or 3-4A armor would be the "poor mans armor" AR500 steel.

In my case, The plates aren't big enough. Im 6'6 and my vital areas are a lot larger than tiny guys. Still hunting for "Green Giant" armor.

One thing I have learned is that if it is too heavy/cumbersome a user will not wear it!
I have a OP here about super light weight plates that are several pounds lighter than steel plate. I also have an OP on Blue Force Gear plate carriers that weigh less than a pound

One thing I have learned is that if it is too heavy/cumbersome a user will not wear it!
I have a OP here about super light weight plates that are several pounds lighter than steel plate. I also have an OP on Blue Force Gear plate carriers that weigh less than a pound

can you link your post?

Yes I will be at the gun Show this weekend, Look for the large sign that says (ARMOR SOLUTIONS) Also has huge American Flag, cannot miss it.
I will have all kinds of my armor. Backpack inserts, level IIIa, III, IV plates, plates that float, vests, ballistic laptop inserts, Kevlar I sell by the yard, hmm let me see what else.. Sure be more but see what I decide I want to bring, I will have 3 tables so see what I can fit on for this show.. I will have some gear too left over from the Reno show. Come check it out then you can reply on here to show your thoughts on my armor. My Name is Jeff. Hope to see you.. remind me you talked to me on here and give you a 10% discount..

Jeff, I missed your posts concerning your being at that show (I was at site #1 and 2 breaking my back as usual!), I'm interested in your super lite weight plates. keep me informed of your schedule!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews