Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

AR15 5.56 upper choice

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by del_and_bones, Nov 3, 2012.

1. del_and_bones

del_and_bones Anchorage, AK Physics Pirate

Hey all, I'm saving for an AR15 upper. I'm debating whether to get a complete upper or build one (I've built them before).

Requirements:
    16" in 5.56x45
    Hammer Forged barrel
    Adjustable gas system (will be used with 762SDN6 suppressor)

The two options I'm looking at:
    Sig 516 or a build using this Noveske barrel with switchblock (total cost ~$1100). If I go with the sig I'll have to get an AAC muzzle device, so the cost is about even.

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on either of my choices. I'm really looking for experience with the Sig more than anything else. I know that you can't go wrong with Noveske.

2. del_and_bones

Upon further examination, I decided on going the build route for the following reasons:
    1. Sig hasn't been marking their CHF barrels as being CHF, which leads me to believe they are only chrome lined. I haven't found any conclusive evidence either way.
    2. The piston system may cut down on fouling and keeping the breach cleaner, but it's also a proprietary system
    3. You can't swap the barrel on the Sig without a special tool
    4. The Sig is nose heavy, not a big issue but it's still present
    5. Sig's QC apparently has been lacking lately, but that may just be internet rumors. I haven't found any conclusive evidence either way.
    6. Noveske is "local" and I'm all for local

3. im566

im566 Gresham Active Member

Look at the PWS uppers, i have one and I love it, I love so much that now I have on order a complete PWS rifle with a 10"bbl (class iii), i had a LWRC and I prefer the PWS.

4. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

Good choice. If it was me I'd go with a Noveske barrel and switchblock on the build.

5. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

What sights will you be using? I seriously considered a Noveske switchblock on my build, but ended up going with a JP adjustable because the Noveske left no provision for a forward sight.

6. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Soo many options, BCM/Noveske/LMT barrel with your choice from one of the many adjustable gasblocks. Look at the DA7 from slrrifleworks- the reviews I've seen have been good and not priced too bad!

7. del_and_bones

I'm going to run an Aimpoint pro with some flip-up sights (front sight on the end of a YHM diamond free float hand guard). I did consider clamp on gas blocks, however since this is partly a SHTF rifle, I wanted the added security of a pinned gas block.

I'm also waffling on whether I want to run my can on it because it'll make the thing close to 24", but I also like how shooting suppressed reduces a lot of the bark and preserves hearing. In that case I might as well just buy a PSA or BCM upper with a CHF barrel and be done with it.

I guess I'm going back to the drawing board.

8. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

You could get a BCM 14.5" with a pinned quick attach suppressor adapter (to avoid the second tax). I think the AAC cans are 6-7" so that would be closer to 20" OAL. They even have the mini4 now that adds less than 3" to the OAL
    MINI4™

9. del_and_bones

I already have a 10" 300blk SBR, so I'm not worried about having a few extra short uppers lying around. I was trying to stay around that 14" to 18" range because it has an adequate fragmentation range for my desired use. If it's over 16", that's a bonus since I could use it on my fiance's lower. I'm not too keen on getting a shorty 223 can, but I might consider a mini7. I'll look into BCM again, I know they make quality stuff.