JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all, I'm saving for an AR15 upper. I'm debating whether to get a complete upper or build one (I've built them before).

Requirements:
16" in 5.56x45
Hammer Forged barrel
Adjustable gas system (will be used with 762SDN6 suppressor)

The two options I'm looking at:
<broken link removed> or a build using this Noveske barrel with switchblock (total cost ~$1100). If I go with the sig I'll have to get an AAC muzzle device, so the cost is about even.

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on either of my choices. I'm really looking for experience with the Sig more than anything else. I know that you can't go wrong with Noveske.

Upon further examination, I decided on going the build route for the following reasons:
1. Sig hasn't been marking their CHF barrels as being CHF, which leads me to believe they are only chrome lined. I haven't found any conclusive evidence either way.
2. The piston system may cut down on fouling and keeping the breach cleaner, but it's also a proprietary system
3. You can't swap the barrel on the Sig without a special tool
4. The Sig is nose heavy, not a big issue but it's still present
5. Sig's QC apparently has been lacking lately, but that may just be internet rumors. I haven't found any conclusive evidence either way.
6. Noveske is "local" and I'm all for local

Look at the PWS uppers, i have one and I love it, I love so much that now I have on order a complete PWS rifle with a 10"bbl (class iii), i had a LWRC and I prefer the PWS.

What sights will you be using? I seriously considered a Noveske switchblock on my build, but ended up going with a JP adjustable because the Noveske left no provision for a forward sight.

Soo many options, BCM/Noveske/LMT barrel with your choice from one of the many adjustable gasblocks. Look at the DA7 from slrrifleworks- the reviews I've seen have been good and not priced too bad!

I'm going to run an Aimpoint pro with some flip-up sights (front sight on the end of a YHM diamond free float hand guard). I did consider clamp on gas blocks, however since this is partly a SHTF rifle, I wanted the added security of a pinned gas block.

I'm also waffling on whether I want to run my can on it because it'll make the thing close to 24", but I also like how shooting suppressed reduces a lot of the bark and preserves hearing. In that case I might as well just buy a PSA or BCM upper with a CHF barrel and be done with it.

I guess I'm going back to the drawing board.

You could get a BCM 14.5" with a pinned quick attach suppressor adapter (to avoid the second tax). I think the AAC cans are 6-7" so that would be closer to 20" OAL. They even have the mini4 now that adds less than 3" to the OAL
MINI4™

I already have a 10" 300blk SBR, so I'm not worried about having a few extra short uppers lying around. I was trying to stay around that 14" to 18" range because it has an adequate fragmentation range for my desired use. If it's over 16", that's a bonus since I could use it on my fiance's lower. I'm not too keen on getting a shorty 223 can, but I might consider a mini7. I'll look into BCM again, I know they make quality stuff.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top