JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From my time in the service, I was familiar with the AR platform.
But my time with an AK, other than seeing someone else shoot one, was extremely limited. So, I traded for one a few years ago.
I took both the AK and the AR shooting on the same day, to see which one I preferred.
The AK platform, I actually like. I thought it shot well, and out of 200 rounds, only jammed 2 times. However, there is one minor/major drawback for me with this platform, the physical position of the rear sight. With it midway down the rifle, I had a horrible time finding the sight picture. Not because the sight was bad, but because my eyesight sucks. It was in that area where my bifocals and my regular eyesight met, so either I could not see the front sight or the target, or I could not see the rear sight. While it shot well enough, I decided right then and there, this was not good for me. Now if this was a PSL or Dragonov that had a scope on it, it might be a different story.
So, for now, I will let someone else have the honor of owning and shooting the AK.
My AR, well, I shot well. The rear sight is right where I need it to be.
That was how I made my decision between the AR and the AK.
I did sell the AK a few weeks later.

AK vs. AR is a great opinion question.
If you want something you can customize personalize or dress up, then I recommend you consider an AR. If you are looking for your zombie apocalypse gun, then an AK is a really good choice. AK's cannot be accessorized as easily, but ammo is cheaper. AK's are really fun to blast with to. Lots of pro's both ways, not a lot of con's either way. I recommend you figure out what features are most important to you, and then get the rifle that fits you best. Be sure to post back when you make your buy! good luck.

AK's cannot be accessorized as easily...

It wasn't that hard

SuppressedAKM.jpg

AK vs. AR is a great opinion question.
If you want something you can customize personalize or dress up, then I recommend you consider an AR. If you are looking for your zombie apocalypse gun, then an AK is a really good choice.

soooo, dress up AR......Apocalypse AK, I had better reevaluate .

soooo, dress up AR......Apocalypse AK, I had better reevaluate .

Hornady wouldn't sell Zombie Max ammo if there wasn't really a Zombie Apocalypse on the horizon! :)
Lets not forget about the possibility of alien invasion, in which case the prevailing logic states that we all need .308's.
It just sucks that .308 is so expensive in comparison to .223. Next thread will be FAL vs. AR-10 vs. M1A. (not to offend those who like other platforms!)

Actually, I own a couple of ARs, and I built an AK from a kit, and one of the ARs from parts, and I really don't care much for either platform.

I have no argument with those that do, I just prefer bolt actions rifles. They're slower, not necessarily more accurate, an frequently heavier. It is just that I like the wider variety of calibers available in bolt guns, and they seem to fit my body better.

Both are very good battle rifles.

If I could go back and do it over. I would have gone with the AK74.

Ammo sucks for AR15 owners right now. Nation wide average is 50 cents a round. If you reload, there is no powder out there. I don't see it getting better any time soon either.

5.45x39 is around 15-18 cents a round right now. If I spent the same money I have in 223/556 (between factory and components), on 5.45x39 I would be at close to 10-15 thousand rounds.

I'm still on the edge as far as trading in a few ARs and other weapons to get two good Arsenal AK74s and a boat load of surplus ammo before it is too late.

Sig 556! best of both worlds lol

Standard-length Sig 556 is heavy as hell on the front. Also trigger is very heavy, though adjustable for travel.
Otherwise it's a pretty good platform indeed.

Ammo sucks for AR15 owners right now. Nation wide average is 50 cents a round. If you reload, there is no powder out there. I don't see it getting better any time soon either.

I have some ammo for you at 40 cents a round :D

I have some ammo for you at 40 cents a round :D

Better than the average but still pretty crappy. I miss bulk buys at 15-20 cents right before Newtown. I really miss bulk buys from 2-3 years ago at even less.

Better than the average but still pretty crappy. I miss bulk buys at 15-20 cents right before Newtown. I really miss bulk buys from 2-3 years ago at even less.

I think you're mistaken. Brass-cased .223 ammo was never less than 30 cents a round within last 6 years or so. I don't even remember seeing Russian steel-cased for less than 18 cents per round before shipping.

I think you're mistaken. Brass-cased .223 ammo was never less than 30 cents a round within last 6 years or so. I don't even remember seeing Russian steel-cased for less than 18 cents per round before shipping.

Surely when your buying boxes of 20.

I remember buying some IMI Israeli stuff back before Obama for close to 10-15 cents a round.

I'm pretty sure I've picked up brass cased factory lake city bulk during Obama before Newtown for 200 or so a thousand. I may be wrong but my memory isn't that bad.

I could get Herters steel case ammo by the thousand from Cabelas for about 20 cents a round before shortly before Newtown. Sometimes less when it went on sale. I even picked up two of the sealed tins about a month ago for 280.

I've bought bulk back in Reno in the past couple years at tremendously better prices than what they are now. I don't agree to the 30 cent mark for the last 6 years. Maybe the last 2-3.

I'm new too Oregon and the northwest perhaps ammo just isn't easy to come by up here, or the choices have always been slim? I've always bought most of my bulk through local dealers back in Reno. Only online stuff I buy is 7.62x54r mostly as it is inexpensive and no one sold it back in NV for reasonable prices.

Surely when your buying boxes of 20.

I remember buying some IMI Israeli stuff back before Obama for close to 10-15 cents a round.

I'm pretty sure I've picked up brass cased factory lake city bulk during Obama before Newtown for 200 or so a thousand. I may be wrong but my memory isn't that bad.

I could get Herters steel case ammo by the thousand from Cabelas for about 20 cents a round before shortly before Newtown. Sometimes less when it went on sale. I even picked up two of the sealed tins about a month ago for 280.

I've bought bulk back in Reno in the past couple years at tremendously better prices than what they are now. I don't agree to the 30 cent mark for the last 6 years. Maybe the last 2-3.

I'm new too Oregon and the northwest perhaps ammo just isn't easy to come by up here, or the choices have always been slim? I've always bought most of my bulk through local dealers back in Reno. Only online stuff I buy is 7.62x54r mostly as it is inexpensive and no one sold it back in NV for reasonable prices.

Well, perhaps you had better luck than I did :) Here is what I bought from wideners.com :

Order Date: 4/05/2008
Item Ordered: PPM193 PRVI PARTIZAN 5.56 M193 55GR FMJBT AMMUNITION $396.00 /1000 Qty: 1 Unit Price: $67.00 Total: $67.00
Item Ordered: PPU62F PRVI 223 Rem 62gr FMJBT Loaded ammunition $93.00/200rd OR $450.00/1000 Qty: 1 Unit Price: $69.00 Total: $69.00

Order Date: 5/11/2008
Item Ordered: WFMC22355 WOLF M/C 223 55GR FMJ AMMUNITION $225.00 / 500 Qty: 10 Unit Price: $5.65 Total: $56.50
tem Ordered: PPM193 PRVI PARTIZAN 5.56 M193 55GR FMJBT AMMUNITION $396.00 /1000 Qty: 5 Unit Price: $66.00 Total: $330.00
Item Ordered: PPM855 Prvi 5.56 M855 FMJSCBT Ammunition $78.00/200 or $375/1000 Qty: 1 Unit Price: $74.00 Total: $74.00

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top