JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Relatively new to the world of ARs, but I know my community here is well versed on the topic...

I recently did a build from scratch and took it to the range for some testing. On the first trigger pull, the gun went "click". I removed round from battery and tried again, "click". The primers on the three rounds that I tried were punched, but only about a 1/3 of what they should be and not enough to ignite the powder. Through some research, I figured it was one of two issues. Either the firing pin was damaged or the hammer springs were either broken or not installed properly. Everything checks out, so now I'm puzzled. Any help would be appreciated.

Last Edited:
A3D23833-DDF0-4F98-BDAB-EE98D1A479F4.jpeg

You did not say what the fire control group consists of. Is it a mil spec trigger or something else? Some after market fcg's will not hit military spec primers hard enough to fire. If it is a mill spec fcg check spring installation as stated above. If this all checks out start looking at bcg and firing pin. It would help immensly if you listed all components of the build.

Installed the spring backwards on my first build, but caught it abd corrected before the "click" and instead got "bang".

If it isn't the spring then it could be the hammer design if it isn't a mil-spec type. There is a reason for the mass in the mil-spec hammer. Next would be firing pin out of spec, but a reverse spring is like 99% the issue.

I checked a rechecked my FCG several times before I drove the roll pins in. I know it is fairly common. You can find some documents on line on how to assemble a lower which I did print out and put with my tools.

You did not say what the fire control group consists of. Is it a mil spec trigger or something else? Some after market fcg's will not hit military spec primers hard enough to fire. If it is a mill spec fcg check spring installation as stated above. If this all checks out start looking at bcg and firing pin. It would help immensly if you listed all components of the build.
It's a mil spec.

Pro Tip for the NFG's :

When working on an AR trigger with the receivers apart, DO NOT let the hammer fall unrestrained against the receiver.
Catch it or use a trigger tuning block (the hammer falls against the block) when testing trigger pull.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top