JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hello, I have a question maybe you can answer for me I have a fairly new rifle 18" barrel rifle length gas system it shoots fine expect when I change my bcg I put in a sharps DLC bcg and it started short stroking and was ejecting but not feeding or catching on the last round I'm new to this. I checked my gas block and where the tube inserts into the gas block there was carbon build up so I took it apart and cleaned it(I'm a do it yourself type of guy)
1) Welcome to NWFA

2) You and I are hijacking this thread.
For something not related to the original post, you want to start your own thread so that your issue can be better addressed.

3) You have shortened your "dwell" (look it up) with that set up by a couple of inches.
You will want to always run full power ammo. No cheap Russian crap or civvie .223
Keep your carbine buffer and spring....that will be your best set up.
Keep the BCG that it likes and forget the other one, would be my advice.

Last Edited:
Put your old bcg back in to see if normal function is returned. If so hand cycle with new bcg looking for signs of excess drag and try to id where it is dragging. If all seems ok take bolt out of bcg and inspect gas rings making sure the gaps are offset from each other. If all looks good lube the hell out of it and run it to try and break it in. Somtimes it takes several hundred rounds to break parts in. If it still is no bueno put old bcg back in and run it. Nothing wrong with regular mil spec phosphate finished bcg.

I just read up on your sharps bcg and in my mind their "balanced bolt carrier" is probably the culprit. They claim the lifting of the bcg at the front as compared to the rear is a problem. This is due to the gas working at the gas key location on the front of carrier and is somehow solved with this "balanced"bcg. They don't really go into how they solve this, but I am guessing it is by reducing tolerance between bolt carrier and upper receiver. Another company trying to solve a problem that really isn't a problem. I would get out a micrometer and start comparing OD of the two carriers to see if this is indeed the case.

Thanks I will try that I put my old bcg back in and it shot just fine I even took my gas block apart and tube it did have a little bit of carbon but I cleaned it off and put it back in but I havent tried it yet

inspect gas rings making sure the gaps are offset from each other.

One of many AR myths, the gas rings DO NOT need to be staggered. The channel inside the carrier compresses the rings together along it's path of travel. The method of testing wear on gas rings is to pull the bolt forward and place the BCG face down on the bolt on to a hard flat surface, if the carrier's weight is support the rings are fine, if the carrier falls under it's own weight the rings are bad and should be replaced.

Last Edited:
One of many AR myths, the gas rings DO NOT need to be staggered. The channel inside the carrier compresses the rings together along it's path of travel. The method of testing wear on gas rings is to pull the bolt forward and place the BCG face down on the bolt on to a hard flat surface, if the carrier's weight is support the rings are fine, if the carrier falls under it's own weight the rings are bad and should be replaced.

Old engine builder habit I guess. If they are lined up you are bound to get a little gas blow by but yes it is probably not enough to cause any issue as I know there have been people that purposely lined them up or removed all but one and gun still will run. I will still stagger them to satisfy my ocd tendencies.:cool:

Old engine builder habit I guess. If they are lined up you are bound to get a little gas blow by but yes it is probably not enough to cause any issue as I know there have been people that purposely lined them up or removed all but one and gun still will run. I will still stagger them to satisfy my ocd tendencies.:cool:

And you should if building an engine because the cylinders and pistons of a typical engine are concentric, the cylinder (carrier) and piston (bolt tail) of and AR are not, the AR possess sloped cylinder walls as I mentioned above compresses the rings and pinches the gap closed. It does not hurt or gain anything by lining them up. And yes you are correct an AR should run with a single ring.

I think I would schittcan this magic Sharps carrier.
Sounds like it could be inducing "carrier tilt" which is as you guessed, an unwanted thing.

If you want to jazz up youryour BCG buy from a "known good" manufacturer such as ToolCraft.
ToolCraft BCG's are on sale if you Google around.

I bought a Troy fully assembled upper receiver that included the flip up battle sights, a charging handle, and a BCG. The rear sight has the same hash marks that the one on my Spikes Tactical has.

View attachment 529674

I also bought a Troy FDE upper receiver and the rear sight does not have any hash marks on it. The Troy black sights do but I am not sure why FDE sight does not.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top