JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think Wolff sells a replacement spring that is a little stronger. It's good to have an extra recoil spring anyway, for your spare parts kit. For that matter, get an extra recoil spring and a buffer. Accuracy improvements might be due to longer lockup time, with a heavier bolt carrier, or heavier buffer, or a slightly stiffer spring.

Threre are different weights of buffers for AR carbine. They don't necessarily reduce recoil, but they do give the bolt a little more dwell time before it opens, causing a little different recoil impulse. You could try a "H" stamped buffer, that is a little heavier, to see if you like it. Also AR rifle, with longer spring and longer/heavier buffer seems to shoot a little softer, as compared to the carbine.

Check out AR-15.com, for pages of discussion on this. barrel length, vs buffer weight. Overgassed 16" barrels vs 14.5" barrels. Lots of opinions there on this subject. I've always run a standard buffer, and never had any problems. I can't say recoil has ever been an issue with an AR. Try sitting behind a .308 bolt gun for a hundred rounds, then switch to AR, and it feels like shooting a .22.

You don't want to use a reduced power buffer spring in AR, your rifle will short stroke and make you very un-happy. The only reason to reduce felt recoil IMHO is for Gaming. Fooling with the buffer spring will not do that. You want to go to a Rifle length gas system(it slows down cycle rate). You may also want to look at an adjustable gas block, JP makes an excellent one, this reduces the amount of gas driving the BCG so you don't have the "bump" allowing for quicker follow-up shots. These are used in conjunction with JP's light weight bolt carrier and buffer. This combination makes for an extremely controllable rifle with a very quick follow up shots.

There is also the pig tail style gas tube that is the same length as a rifle gas tube but wraps around a carbine barrel. I have also seen the shock absorber style buffer systems in the Brownell's catalog. Enedine is one maker I believe. I have not used either system as I have never had a problem with the standard buffers. If you really don't like the recoil, try a shooting jacket with recoil pad. If that looks a little weird then get an IBA and affix a recoil pad to the MOLLE which would also index the weapon to your shoulder. Now that would be "TACTICAL" instead of weird...:)

For the record, I'm not trying to get rid of the recoil. I'm not that weak......Well kinda.

I had a H&R 30-06 that kicked like a SOB! And after shooting that the AR feels like butta!

But I had a co-worker that had an Uncle, blah, blah, blah that worked with the U.S. Special Forces on custom AR/HK parts and he was telling me about an HK recoil spring that they used on their M4's. I don't know the guy was pretty smart when it came to guns so I thought I would check it out.

I'm not a ......(cat) I swear.

I haven't heard of a special buffer but I was never in Special Forces so maybe it was a secret squirrel thing. No doubt that if it is made by HK it is 10x better than anything made by a cowboy company and would raise your coolness factor as well. :)

Seriously, they are probably referring to the heavier buffer which isn't really to handle recoil but to slow down cyclic rate and improve reliability by giving the feeding cycle more momentum. This is usually only a factor with full auto M4's not the 3 round burst standard version. You might give a call to Bravo Company or another high end manufacturer.

If you call HK, speak with an accent, identify yourself as a Colonel in Army Weapons Development and PURCHASING, and they might tell you how much better their stuff is than what the Belgians make... :) Just kidding to all the HK lovers out there. :)

Yeah fair enough.
I'm sure there's something out the to make it better, there always is, but for running around shooting at paper targets the standard recoil spring will suffice.
I will just drop the tampon and give my wife her skirt back.

Thanks Y'all!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads