JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a good bit of M-14 experience including the M-14E2, which I qualified with, but that platform including the M1A only has nostalgia for me. AR 308s are inherently more accurate, and I was accurate with the 14.

.308 ARs/AR-10s aren't inherently more accurate, just have more potential for it with less effort and probably less cost. Little to no effort in keeping it just as accurate too. I'm still gonna get a M14 eventually (LRB, no offense to the cast lovers but I want a forged receiver) but it certainly has some drawbacks...

What I said works for me and yes I would love to have a M-14, I know a USMC Armorer how can sweeten it considerably, but that isn't necessary for my Armalite.

Oh and I don't think the 6. anything is/are mainstream enough for me. Too pricey for anything but a bolt gun. The 6.5 Creedmoor has great potential, but it has not been mainstream very long and you have a hard time finding any.

But it does not have the shorter receivers and bolt carrier group like the DPMS G2. Which makes it feel lighter as well because it moves the the center of balance back even though its only about a inch if you are ever able hold and aim with the 2 different styles you will feel it right away .

see how short it is in the back end like a Ar15 that little difference in length makes a big difference it feel.

View attachment 273446

It even looks more like a Ar15 except the longer mag well which is just something that can't be changed

That is definitely an improvement then. And a good reason to get one of these newer generation 308 AR's, instead of the earlier generation.

So did the DPMS Gen 1 have a balance issue or something? My .308 AR has an extra inch in the receiver and the balance is great, on par with my light 5.56.

The lr308 although using different parts than a Ar10 was modeled after it so it was long like the ar10 and so many of the later 308 Ar style rifles. Its not like the balance was a real problem I shoot my lr308 just fine but if you ever get a chance to hold one provided its a comparable model as they do make then with heavier barrels you will see what I am talking about anything you can bring the center of gravity closer to your body its going to feel lighter even it is just a inch plus hand placement is better I find that I want to grip the Lr308 at the magwel to compensate for it being long bodied at the receiver which is a big no no for a left handed shooter. with the g3 feeling more like a Ar15 Holding it by the hand guard feels more comfortable.

Bottom line is the longer rifle is not a big issue . Its kind of like this have to ever turned down a hand gun even though its popular and reliable but just did not feel right in your hand? you probably could have did just fine but right beside it was a simular gun that fit you perfect . some of it is personal preference a 6'2" guy with really long arms might prefer the old G1 style better than say a 5'10" guy .

Ah, my personal preference would be for the longer receiver. Tbh any advantage a shorter receiver would have would be lost on me. Even with a longer receiver I still need to adjust the stock further out. I'm only 5"9 but even so I never use a magwell grip.

When you question your first AR type purchase caliber, the first thing I think of is ... 5.56.
AR's are beautiful beasts. And in a way, just like a VW Beetle: you can make it look and function any way you want.
The standard mil-spec AR-15 is extremely easy to work with, very fun to play with, and fully functional in every aspect of the philosophy of use of a firearm.
The .308 is a complete different animal. It resembles an AR-15 on so many levels, however the rifle does not meet any standard, and generally proprietary to the manufacturing company.
The AR-15's biggest benefit is being standardized by NATO, the rifle has STANAG documentation, and is possibly the most interchangeable item in the world as far as parts go. Add to this benefit the many options available for cartridge usage, the extreme depth of knowledge, and low cost, it could be argued as the best rifle ever made. Let the AK-47 lovers flame :)
Cost is always a issue in one way or another. The AR-15 can be built as cheaply as $400, even as low as $300 if you're extremely resourceful. And that's a wonderful way to familiarize yourself with the platform: as cheap as possible. Because of the standardization of the rifle, inexpensive builds are surprisingly reliable. As you gain knowledge and experience, you can always spend more.
I have seen the AR-10 for sale as inexpensive as $550-600 from DPMS and other manufacturers. That is a great deal for the particular platform. It would be hard to build for that price range, and could be a interchangeability disaster.
As for hunting, the .300 AR-15 build could be a good option. Very effective out to 250-300 yards! I'm not a hunter. But I believe the ballistics support it, unfortunately all my tin cans are well within 100 yards.
Go for the AR-15
Just my humble opinion.

Bah, maybe you guys gotta go hog hunting. You'll want a semiauto. ;)

Being under MOA with good ammo, I refuse to choose a bolt action over my .308 AR.

For Hogs?

Get a $300 SkS. Cheap gun and perfectly fine for hog hunting.

Honestly, I try to find any reason I can to buy a gun for a specialty purpose - more guns in the safe when it's all said and done.

P.s. Tell me where to find some hogs up here and I'd be real happy to hear it:).

I always hunt with an empty chamber and jack a round in when I have an encounter that will lead to an engagement. I can't think of a single time in decades of big game hunting and well over 25 harvested big game animals when not having a round in the chamber cost me a chance.

For Hogs?

Get a $300 SkS. Cheap gun and perfectly fine for hog hunting.

Honestly, I try to find any reason I can to buy a gun for a specialty purpose - more guns in the safe when it's all said and done.

P.s. Tell me where to find some hogs up here and I'd be real happy to hear it:).

Up there? Not sure, down here there's enough hogs that they're pretty much considered pests. No limits, no season.

Well there's a limit here. How many hogs can your truck carry? :D

Meh, difference in preference with bolt vs semiauto I guess.

what does the type of rifle have to do with chambering a round when hunting?

Easier to chamber a round silently in a bolt action vs semiauto normally. Just use a forward assist to chamber a round silently and you'd be GTG.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top