JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pull back charging handle, slowly let it go forward. Use forward assist to push the round back into chamber. Not as loud as letting it slam forward. Not as silent as a bolt action (though my memory is a bit fuzzy on that), but still not too loud.

Yes but its safer to carry a rifle without a round in the chamber.
o_O
Never did I feel unsafe carrying a weapon with a round in the chamber
If you use correct firearm safety it is just as safe to have a round in the chamber as without.
If you feel otherwise you should probably go back to square 1 and take some firearm safety classes.
Oh and keep the booger hook off the bang switch until pointed at the target...to borrow a saying from on this board

Oh boy I was wondering when somebody was going to say something like this. I don't disagree with your premise and I feel comfortable carrying a firearm loaded but truly it's all about context and I choose to hunt with a bolt action rifle without a round in the chamber most of the time. It makes things easier and safer crossing fences where you frequently hand your rifle to a companion, bringing a rifle into or out of a blind, or similar field situations where you may hunt for a week and take one shot. These situations are very different than taking the firing line at a range of carrying a holstered weapon for self defense purposes. I frequently carry a 1911 in condition with complete confidence. I thank you for the suggestion to polish up my firearm skills. Classes can be wonderful experiences as can competitions but I would appreciate you offering some constructive discussion and keeping your condescending tone holstered.

I can see unchambering a round while going up a tree or hoping a fence, but unless your trespassing or Tarzan those should be a minor part of your day I would have thought.

I am not a good hunter - I would beat myself silly if I walked up on a buck without a loaded gun. Not to mention protection from large animals and meth heads.

I can say that even without range time that I have carried a loaded rifle without the safety off for enough miles to be comfortable with my muzzle control and lack of danger.

Technically it's safer not to drive a car but with proper education and practice even people with 2 digit IQ's can do a fairly decent job of going from A to B safely.

I remember that for generations the .243 Win with 100gr bullets was thought too light for deer by most.
Have we established in this thread that a .223 is a bit too light for elk?. and a scoped AR-10 is too heavy to lug around hunting elk with?

.223 is good for deer down here so it depends on where you are.

Also, whether a rifle is too heavy or not is subjective. That's why I generally avoid the subject. I'M fine with a rifle as long as its under 20 pounds. YOU might require it to be under 10 pounds. You can spout off "it gets heavier over time" and that still won't change that its still subjective. So an AR-10 MAY be too heavy, but it also MAY NOT be too heavy.

.223 is good for deer down here so it depends on where you are.

Also, whether a rifle is too heavy or not is subjective. That's why I generally avoid the subject. I'M fine with a rifle as long as its under 20 pounds. YOU might require it to be under 10 pounds. You can spout off "it gets heavier over time" and that still won't change that its still subjective. So an AR-10 MAY be too heavy, but it also MAY NOT be too heavy.
Well that's fine and dandy but the OP started a thread on it.

He's wondering about going elk and deer hunting with an AR-10.

Yes, but its still up to him on whether its too heavy or not. I don't know the guy's capabilities or what he's used to. He might be fine with an AR-10/.308 AR as far as weight goes. .308 is good for deer, and depending on who you ask good for elk too. So, as said earlier, its just up to him if the weight is too much.

Yes, but its still up to him on whether its too heavy or not. I don't know the guy's capabilities or what he's used to. He might be fine with an AR-10/.308 AR as far as weight goes. .308 is good for deer, and depending on who you ask good for elk too. So, as said earlier, its just up to him if the weight is too much.
No kidding. Everything in this thread is subjective/opinion.

the idea of the thread was for me to explore my options if I bought an AR rifle. If you go way back to the first page you will see that I dont need another hunting rifle, and the idea of it was more of a way to justify the purchase.

I hunt with a Rem700, I dont know how much it weighs but probably would not want to go any heavier...

I dont see myself getting the 308, and would never hunt elk with a 223/556. I would consider hunting deer with it though but would prefer 300blk or the 6.5 Grendel.... but I probably would just use the Remington.

The idea of buying an AR is more political, Im no longer certain in say 10 years we will be able to buy them, I want to be grandfathered in. I dont need one, cant really afford one, can hardly justify buying one (hunting).... so it would be a long term project for me. Ill buy either a 100% lower (or build an 80%) and over time build the rifle the way I want it.

so guys, lets not put too much into the idea of hunting elk with this thread....

keeping your condescending tone holstered.
It's only condescending if it hits home.
I've gone thru many a fence and done lots of hunting with a round chambered and never felt unsafe...CAUSE I never pointed the gun at myself or at anyone hunting with me.
And i don't hunt with people that point guns at me
Perfectly safe.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top