JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If I was to buy an AR rifle I would have more use out of a 308 than a 556 as I could consider deer and elk hunting with it. Im confident in the reliability and build options and accessories for the 556 but dont really know much about the same in 308. Ive heard that finding reliable 308 mags can be an issue?

What are any drawbacks to an AR in 308?

I have not had any issues with Pmags for my 4 .308 AR's

Really the only draw backs in my mind is they are expensive to plink with and heavier to carry.

Also you really have to be aware of what you are buying. There are no "standard" .308 AR parts and mixing and matching stuff is risky at best.

If you stick with a manufacture for the main components and within the platform (SR25/LAR308 VS AR10) for accessory's its not a big deal though.

For a first AR in .308 I would buy a factory rifle, especially if you don't have a lot of AR experience. I had built 50 or so other AR's before my first .308 and did have some issues that had to be resolved to get a functional rifle. For the dough I think Aero Precision makes a fine .308 gun that is both a good performer and value.

Drawbacks: Lack of standardization. Budget AR-10 is still expensive. Heavy, but not too heavy.

As for the magazines, Magpul DPMS/SR-25 mags are good for ones that use the same pattern. I prefer the look of steel. Personally, I recommend stocking up on both.

Pros: Easier to mount optics and accessories. Easier to make it a precision rifle, and easier to keep it as such. If you're familiar with the AR-15 its pretty much the same thing as far as maintenance and disassembly goes.

Seems to me weight / balance might be an issue.
The AR's in .308 I've seen or shot seemed heavy and unbalanced as it were.
If I were looking for a .308 Semi-Auto I might think of getting a Springfield M1A . The weight may more or heavier , but those rifles feel better to me.
'Couse what works and feels right to me , may be different to you.
Andy

sounds more like the only drawback is the standardization of parts and accessories!

My spin on hunting is more of a justification for buying a new rifle, I don't need a hunting rifle. I could easily get a 556 and just have it for target and defense. If I did this I'd build it myself and have no experience with AR's so maybe the 556 would be a better choice because of the standardization concern. Cheaper ammo is a factor too.

Not sure how many I have handled , but the two that I have shot were the Rock River Arms Lar-8 I think it is called and the Remington version.
To be fair both had bipods , big heavy scopes , one had a light I can't remember all the gizmos on both of them.
So a basic hunting rifle version of them , might not weigh so much or feel unbalanced.
As I said in my earlier post , what feels heavy and unbalanced to me may not to you or someone else.
Andy

sounds more like the only drawback is the standardization of parts and accessories!
Lack of standardization in parts. Accessories are pretty much the same.

Not sure how many I have handled , but the two that I have shot were the Rock River Arms Lar-8 I think it is called and the Remington version.
To be fair both had bipods , big heavy scopes , one had a light I can't remember all the gizmos on both of them.

Meh, Harris bipod (temporary) and heavy scope I have. Light, I do not. Balance is still good, and only weighs 15 pounds. The M14 I wanted originally would have been 18 pounds once done. And more expensive.

If I was to buy an AR rifle I would have more use out of a 308 than a 556 as I could consider deer and elk hunting with it. Im confident in the reliability and build options and accessories for the 556 but dont really know much about the same in 308. Ive heard that finding reliable 308 mags can be an issue?

What are any drawbacks to an AR in 308?
You meant to say M1A right? :rolleyes:

308 AR are not standardized, some can be pretty finicky. If I were to get a 308 AR i'd go with an LMT or KAC so we're talking big bucks. DD was going to put one out though. Personally I'd stick with a 556 AR and get an 6.5 Grendel upper for hunting season.
now that sounds like a game changer in building a 556 lower. The Grendel seems almost close to a 25-06 (roughly), is the Grendel easy to buy ammo for?

308 AR are not standardized, some can be pretty finicky. If I were to get a 308 AR i'd go with an LMT or KAC so we're talking big bucks.

This. Though if going for .308, I wouldn't limit it to JUST LMT or KAC. For non-operating rod ones LMT, LaRue, and KAC are good. For operating rod ones PWS or LWRC REPR. Though none of the options are cheap.

from the link Titz provided, AR chambered in 6.5G...
grendel_home_banner.png

beautiful rifle

grendel_home_banner.png

Well, but that varies greatly depending on the specific rifle. So just do your homework when you shop for a rifle. Don't buy one that is more proprietary in design. I put a lot of standard AR parts in my 308 AR: I replaced the trigger assembly, stock, and pistol grip with standard AR parts with no problem at all. I have regular AR sights and sling on it. Handguards are available with the same standard AR picatinny rail system. So any rail mounted AR accessories all work just fine too.

What exactly are you concerned about?

If I did this I'd build it myself and have no experience with AR's so maybe the 556 would be a better choice because of the standardization concern.

If you are skillful and smart enough to build an AR, then you can build a 308 AR. It does not require any greater intelligence, experience, or skills on your part.

Last Edited:
Well, but that varies greatly depending on the specific rifle. So just do your homework when you shop for a rifle. Don't buy one that is more proprietary in design. I put a lot of standard AR parts in my 308 AR: I replaced the trigger assembly, stock, and pistol grip with standard AR parts with no problem at all.

If you are skillful and smart enough to build an AR, then you can build a 308 AR. It does not require any greater intelligence, experience, or skills on your part.

Well... Its not about intelligence or skill, Its about a lack of information.

Not all bolt carriers within a platform will work with all uppers. Some SR25 platform rifles will work with LAR308 buffers, My Aero rifles had the carriers crash into the lower at the receiver extension boss using LAR308 carbine buffers and Tubb's flat springs. You had to stack a bucks worth of quarters in the tube to keep it from crashing. I eventually went to Spikes heavy buffers. The Aero lowers work better with a AR10B mag catch because its a tenth of a inch longer. Not all charging handles will work with all uppers. Not all bolt catches work in all lowers. Its not like the 5.56 guns where there is a specification and stuff just works. Its not rocket science but you cant just buy a pile of parts you like and slap them together like you can a 5.56 gun and expect it to be bulletproof out of the gate.

If you are talking about bolting on a new grip, dropping in a trigger yes, you don't have much to be worried about, But you can get into trouble with stocks because of different length receiver extensions/buffer requirements. Rails/forends are another thing. There are different offsets, different patterns. What works on a Mega upper might not work on a DPMS upper.

from the link Titz provided, AR chambered in 6.5G...
View attachment 273352

beautiful rifle

Do you handload? You said earlier that having cheaper ammo was a factor that you considered important.

You will be able to buy 308 Win ammo at dramatically lower prices than 6.5 Gendal. And affordable 308 ammo is readily available in major stores like Sportsman's Warehouse, Bimart, or Cabelas.

Do you handload? You said earlier that having cheaper ammo was a factor that you considered important.

You will be able to buy 308 Win ammo at dramatically lower prices than 6.5 Gendal. And affordable 308 ammo is readily available in major stores like Sportsman's Warehouse, Bimart, or Cabelas.

I dont handload. For hunting Im not so much concerned with ammo price, just availability.

now that sounds like a game changer in building a 556 lower. The Grendel seems almost close to a 25-06 (roughly), is the Grendel easy to buy ammo for?

Online yes, pricey though wolf can be found for cheap. I generally just use an app to look for ammo, but I'd reload when going to the wildcat calibers.

I don't buy anything from cuckoo LaRue and see no need for operating rod AR although I'd buy something from PWS I have a problem with anything touched by Leitner-Wise even if he is now gone from LWRC.

Fair enough.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads