JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Learn to use grittiness. Make you tough and unfeeling, like Russian turnip.

Tbh I'd just polish it. Then again, I can shoot pretty good groups either way. YMMV.

I snack on Russian Turnips all the time. And I do not want my trigger to feel like a turnip.

There is no good reason for having a gritty trigger in this day and age of electrical discharge machining.

003.jpg

There are lots of videos that one can watch that discuss single stage vs two stage triggers. Here is a rather long one, that gets into the subject quite a bit:

Bottom line, though, is one really needs to try both trigger types out, and see which you like better. Just reading about the triggers, I figured that the simplicity of a single stage trigger would be best. But a friend encouraged me to try a two stage, and that is now what I have on both of my AR rifles.

So this is really more a matter of personal preference, than anything else, in my opinion. One needs to try both out, and then see which you personally prefer.

Whatever type you get, do not get a competition type trigger in the 2.5 to 3.5 lb weight range, unless the rifle is strictly for target shooting, and will never be used for hunting or self-defense.

4 to 4.5 lbs is the lowest that I would go in a two stage, and 4.5 to 5 lbs in a single stage.

Whatever type you get, do not get a competition type trigger in the 2.5 to 3.5 lb weight range, unless the rifle is strictly for target shooting, and will never be used for hunting or self-defense.

4 to 4.5 lbs is the lowest that I would go in a two stage, and 4.5 to 5 lbs in a single stage.

I shoot practical rifle drills all the time with a CMC 3.5# single stage triggers and I have an SPR that I shoot close drills and 600y with a fresh installed Geissele SD-E 3.5 two stage no trouble ever.
I would be very very comfortable with these triggers in a defensive , a SHTF situation and in a hunting situation.
In fact i have a Steyr 30-06 with a duel set trigger that is 2 lbs that has bagged many bucks
Its all about trigger finger discipline and just shooting discipline in general .... getting used to a nice light trigger.
The lighter you can go and maintain discipline the better shots you will make
The more you shoot them the more they aren't that special and just feel normal , until you shoot someone else gun with a 5 pond trigger ......yuck ;):p

Aside from being cheap and not wanting to replace the trigger. Course, one could just polish the trigger and still be cheap.

Well, one can overcome a bad trigger with skill, that is true. But it gets to be rather tiresome to deal with over time.

I bought a Savage Model 93 in 17 HMR years ago shortly after it came out on the market, and before Savage starting putting their AccuTrigger in their rimfire rifles. The trigger Savage had back then in their rimfires was HORRIBLE. Incredibly gritty and heavy. Every time that I shot the rifle, I felt like I was in a wrestling match with it, in order to get the trigger to break cleanly.

Yes, I was able, with a lot of effort, to get the rifle to shoot really well. But who wants to struggle like that with their trigger? And to have a rifle that was otherwise incredibly accurate have such a bad trigger pull? That is just not right. I ended up ordering and installing a replacement trigger sear kit from Rifle Basix, and doing that turned that horrible gritty trigger into a nice smooth pull.

So yes, it did cost me $90 to fix. But to me, a good trigger pull is worth spending a little extra money on.

http://riflebasix.com/product/savage-mark2-rimfire-trigger-sav-r/

In fact i have a Steyr 30-06 with a duel set trigger that is 2 lbs that has bagged many bucks
Its all about trigger finger discipline and just shooting discipline in general .... getting used to a nice light trigger.

Well, set triggers are really in another class, and should not be compared with a regular trigger. And one would not want to use a gun with a set trigger for self-defense.

I was speaking more generally. I've seen too many accidental discharges happen at ranges and in the field. It is especially unnerving if someone hunting with you is accidentally discharging their rifle right next to you, all because he let a guy that was taking a gunsmithing course by mail lower the trigger on his Remington 700 down to 2.5 lbs. After the 2nd accidental discharge, I told him that he had to unload his rifle and stop hunting.

You add in the extreme stress of shooting in self-defense, or even just the effect of "Buck Fever" while hunting, and I personally believe that it is best to error on the side of caution.

Well, set triggers are really in another class, and should not be compared with a regular trigger. And one would not want to use a gun with a set trigger for self-defense.

I was speaking more generally. I've seen too many accidental discharges happen at ranges and in the field. It is especially unnerving if someone hunting with you is accidentally discharging their rifle right next to you, all because he let a guy that was taking a gunsmithing course by mail lower the trigger on his Remington 700 down to 2.5 lbs. After the 2nd accidental discharge, I told him that he had to unload his rifle and stop hunting.

You add in the extreme stress of shooting in self-defense, or even just the effect of "Buck Fever" while hunting, and I personally believe that it is best to error on the side of caution.

I hear you loud and clear and think its valid ....i just wanted to add its very possible to have the nicest of triggers and still be safe and effective.

Realistically you should not discharge a 1 pound trigger ever without your intention , even if someone snuck up behind you and scared you out of your skin.
your trigger finger is never there until it needs to be to loose the round

your safety is on when your rifle is down , even if the finger is where it isn't supposed to be

I considered the ALG ACT. The more thought into it, the more I looked into polishing myself. I took the trigger out several times and fondled the thought. Then finally said to myself, buy something already proven, already engineered for the task. Many people say..buy once, cry once. OK. Like anything (least for my tastes) I like to buy quality that's proven over time. I got money falling off my tree. Yeah, OK. That's when I started polishing my triggers. Meantime, I set funds aside for the Geissele SSA triggers and waited. Thanksgiving comes along, Black Friday. I bought two for $139.00/ea. :D That was one of the best investments for my rifles. I'm sold. All my other builds will get the same.

Meh, I just polish my triggers. Now if its gritty and has a pull heavier than 8 pounds, then I can see just replacing it.

Yes, but why on earth eat turnips, when you can instead dine on broccoli? Can you really not afford broccoli??

Broccoli-steamed1.jpg

I only eat turnips for roughage, to help my bowels function better. Plus my Mom used to give them to me as snacks, instead of candy.

Now I feel sad for enjoying turnips.

That aside a gritty trigger never bothered me. Either polish it, or let the grittiness go away on its own (I'm lazy when it comes to polishing triggers, so I generally do the latter). Meanwhile, you're saving up for a match grade trigger, or a 2-stage trigger (unless you already had one).

Now I feel sad for enjoying turnips.

Well, my mother had a very sad and tragic young life. Her Dad was a successful small businessman, and owned the first gas station in the town that she grew up in. So her first 8 years were quite good. But then her Dad contracted Tuberculosis, and suffered a slow, agonizing death from it. Penicillin was not yet available, and many people used to die from TB back then. And back then Social Security did not even yet exist either. No government help for widows and their children was available.

My grandmother hired a man to operate the business, but he turned out to be a criminal who stole money and got the business badly in debt, and then took off with all the money. Unable to pay the debts, and with no husband to support the family, my grandmother lost not only the business, but their home too, leaving them homeless right at the start of the Great Depression.

My mother told me stories of eating a meal where all she was given to eat was a single turnip.

As bizarre as it may seem, she actually developed a taste for them.

You mentioned the 6.5 Grendel as a possibility for a future hunting upper. I just thought I'd toss the 6.8 in there too.

The Grendel is more of a specialty cartridge, designed to perform at longer ranges with heavier, longer barrels. It really was made to take advantage of higher B.C. 120gr+ bullets and extend the reach of the AR platform. The disadvantage of this is the ammo selection is geared toward match type bullets, not so much hunting bullets at usable speeds. While I'm sure it would work well as a hunting round, there is a better solution.

The 6.8spc is made to handle lighter for caliber bullets at speeds that make it ideally suited for hunting deer sized game at normal hunting distances, generally under 400yds. It also realizes it's potential out of carbine length barrels better than the 6.5. While it can be used to reach longer ranges, it excels as a mid-range hunting cartridge. There are a fairly good selection of 90-120gr bullets in factory ammo that work very well on deer, and in other parts of the country are putting a dent in the feral hog population.

Obviously, I am a 6.8 fan. If you have any questions about these feel free to ask. I'm not trying to start a fight with the 6.5 guys, I will freely admit that cartridge has some real advantages. I just think the 6.8 is a more generally useful cartridge. I also have opinions about the other popular AR calibers, if you ask, I'll tell you what I think about them too!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top