JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is conventional wisdom correct that you can build for less money (and come out with a better outcome) than buying off the shelf? I went through a cost comparison exercise with my local shop and the cost differences we negligible. We compared a CMMG Mk4 PDW with comparable quality components. Something tells me the experienced members here will have a different opinion. Part of me wants to just get one, ready-to-go minus accessories, and another part wants the experience of what would be my first build.

Making matters more interesting, off the shelf 300 blkout pistols are hard to come by. Most I've been interested in are "out of stock".

Lastly, does anyone have experience with Sig's M400 Elite 9" 300 BLK? Looks like a good package for ~$1500.

Most of building, for me, is the fact that i dont have to buy an AR and then take everything off that i dont like then buy the parts i like versus buying what i want the first time. i've built ARs that range from $360 to $2600. i have never bought one off the shelf so i dont have any real input about buying an off the shelf gun.

building is fun, great hands on experience. knowing how the rifle works will allow you to diagnose any issues you may or may not run into.

I think it depends on what you are trying to do with it?

What's your primary purpose for the gun? I've built both of mine as pistols and then got the stamp for conversion to SBRs. The upper parts are within the range of what I would end up buying +/- $50 on both quality and price.

Build(s)
Seekins Precision barrels (12" and 10.5") - $280ish w/block & tube
Aero Enhanced Upper & handguard - $280ish
NiB BCGs - $80ish
Standard charging handles - $25ish
Standard upper parts kits - $20ish
==================
To this point, I'm probably about $650 per upper. But based on what I wanted, I'd be spending about that for a pre-made one. (LINK to Seekins Pre-made 10.5") For me, some of fun of firearms is in the construction, so that's something that I would miss out on if I just bought pre-made.
I like to tinker and adjust. Other friends of mine prefer to just order it.

Up to you, your budget, and what you want to get out of it.

Check this our and see what you think. Makes for a fine looking pistol.

PSA 8.5" SS 300AAC Blackout 1:7 M-Lok Lightweight Upper with KAK Flash Kan - w/o BCG or CH - 516445158
Palmetto State Armory 5.56 Premium Full Auto Bolt Carrier Group - 8779
PSA AR15/M16 Charging Handle - 438
PSA AR-15 Pistol Buffer Tube Kit - 40433
KAK SHOCKWAVE BLADE PISTOL STABILIZER - BLACK
<broken link removed>
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDL22O6/

Buy the receiver locally, since shipping and transfer will kill most internet deals. You should be able to find an Anderson lower somewhere near you for about $50 or $60. They are OK quality, which makes them great quality for the price.

I say build, but I like to tinker, and personalize everything I own. With that said I have just under $750 not counting the Magpul AFG, BUIS, and grip. Already had those floating around.

20170312_184607.jpg

You can build a better gun. And you can build a gun for less. But it's becoming increasingly more difficult to achieve both at the same time given how flooded the AR market is. Lots of deals out there. Also remember that you have to factor in the cost of shipping all the parts and the tools needed to put it all together...which further eat into any cost savings.

My opinion is that you opt for building a gun because you want the experience and knowledge that comes with it. OR, because your tastes are so specific that there's no way you can buy the gun you want. If you do actually end up saving money, I see it as a bonus.

With that said, and since you're talking about 300 Blk specifically, you could easily just buy the upper and switch it back and forth with one of your existing rifles. Would be an easy way to save some $$.

Thank you for all the input so far. Definitely appreciate it. Leaning build...
I must have watched 5 or 6 build videos and gone over the build thread on ARFCOM twice before my first build. Glad I did because it went pretty well. It took less than 1/2 hour, probably because I used an assembled upper.

I did the first one because I wanted to see what all of the fuss is about. I do it now because it's fun and I can build exactly what I want. It may actually be less effort than buying an assembled gun and then swapping out the stuff I don't want.

Last Edited:
I opted to half build/half buy my .300 BLK.

I built the lower and put in a custom order from a really good company from FL that does custom builds and ships. I've had 3 custom uppers built by him and I'm pleased with them all so far. He's about to build my 4th, a lightweight upper which should come in just under 3lbs, including BCG.

I opted to half build/half buy my .300 BLK.

I built the lower and put in a custom order from a really good company from FL that does custom builds and ships. I've had 3 custom uppers built by him and I'm pleased with them all so far. He's about to build my 4th, a lightweight upper which should come in just under 3lbs, including BCG.

Can you share the supplier and bill of materials? Pretty please?

Can you share the supplier and bill of materials? Pretty please?

I built it on a Spike's Tactical Jolly Roger lower with a Magpul MOE lower parts kit. The upper is from Andro Corp Inc (300 Blackout 8" Intrepid). You can use the promo/coupon code AR15% to get a 15% discount.

Andro does custom uppers, too. Their work (they're nearby SLR Rifleworks and a few other industry stars) and the 3rd party parts they use + shipping is usually less expensive than many other vendors. Certainly less expensive than some of the gun shops near me in Clark County, WA.

Andro just finished up a Faxon 16" pencil barrel + SLR Helix 14.87" rail + adjustable gas block (all came in at 36 ounces) and is shipping it to me right now. If you want a Faxon barrel, you have to order it from Faxon and have them ship it to Andro. He sources Ballistic Advantage barrels (local to ACI).

I built it on a Spike's Tactical Jolly Roger lower with a Magpul MOE lower parts kit. The upper is from Andro Corp Inc (300 Blackout 8" Intrepid). You can use the promo/coupon code AR15% to get a 15% discount.

Andro does custom uppers, too. Their work (they're nearby SLR Rifleworks and a few other industry stars) and the 3rd party parts they use + shipping is usually less expensive than many other vendors. Certainly less expensive than some of the gun shops near me in Clark County, WA.

Andro just finished up a Faxon 16" pencil barrel + SLR Helix 14.87" rail + adjustable gas block (all came in at 36 ounces) and is shipping it to me right now. If you want a Faxon barrel, you have to order it from Faxon and have them ship it to Andro. He sources Ballistic Advantage barrels (local to ACI).

Well, I ended up buying a fully built 8" 300BLK pistol from Andro. Great service and prices. Have only put 60 rds through her but quality appears to be high. I'll build the next one. Thank you for your input. Andro 300blk.JPG

Beautiful Pistol! Looks like they use BA Hansen Barrels too... very nice. Thier prices are good for what you get.
I am a build guy, but you can spend $1,500 on parts and a year later the gun is worth $800. Factory guns on the other hand will retain their value and in some cases appreciate.

When you're on a budget, like me, building is the best option because you can put it together a piece at a time when you find a really good deal.
I just finished my 300 pistol A.K.A. The Black Widow (my very favorite gun btw)... If I paid retail for all the parts, it would have been well over $1500. It took over a year to get it all together, but by trading up, and finding really good deals, I might have $600 into it.

I bought a knife sheath for $10 sold it for $100 and got a new 8.3" BA hansen barrel off armslist($210 retail), Thru 3 trades $75 worth of ammo eventually became the Centurion Rail($277 retail). $10 for the Sig Brace, was pink but I dyed it black. The rest was $10 here, $5 there at gun shows and off NWFA classifieds. The only thing I paid full retail for was the reciever set. ($300 for U&L) It's s/n is just over 50& VSeven was too new to get a good deal at that point, and I had to have it. IMG_2283.JPG IMG_2290.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top