JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Count me as one of those rare unicorns that chooses to use CCI #41 primers. I'm not under any allusions that the AR-15 is prone to slam fire or that other primer's are not as safe. It is a personal choice that I am willing to pay $10 more per 1k primers when they're available. But if not I'd have no problems using CCI 450 or Remington 7 1/2 primers.

I believe that BL(C)-2 is the equivalent of WC846 for use by the public, but you don't hear people complaining about it fouling up their AR. In fact, does anyone know of AR stoppages caused by modern powders?

well with the #41 you can really push the pressure envelope.
One of the main reasons I run a lot of CCI450 is because of the harder cup, but not because of slam fire but because it holds up to the high pressure rounds I like to load and shoot.
If a load I am developing starts to puncture primers, I throw in CCI 450 , reduce the charge by 10% and work back up past where the CCI400 was piercing primer cups

I agree that IMR 3031 is a good, clean powder for .223 Rem. Also IMR 4895, and H4895. These three are stick powders, and don't measure very consistently from powder measures. I also think there are several good, clean, spherical powders that measure very well. I've used H322, H355, and Win 748.
I've never used any thing but standard primers. Win, Rem, Federal, and CCI.

OK, next question. Crimp or seal primers? I imagine not, but doesn't hurt to ask...

Next question, bullets. 5.56/.223 obviously needs all the help it can get; even the 77gr OTM is questionable according to the reports I've read. Apparently the different varieties of bonded bullets, like the TBBC are the best performers, especially through barriers. What I want to know is, where do you get them? I'm sure at some point in the Revolution I am going to be falling back to M193 clones because there is so much of that out there, but I'd like at least a few of my magazines loaded with something better.

I've never crimped in or sealed primers. If you were planning on storing ammo for a real long time, and not using sealed containers like ammo cans, then sealant might be worth considering. But I kinda doubt it. I'm not even aware where to get a setup to crimp primers, not that i've looked.
The second part; referring to barrier blind bullets, I assume you are thinking of defensive uses. If I wanted a bullet to be able to penetrate a car door, house door or perhaps a wall, my personal search would begin with 60-70 gr hunting bullets like the 60 gr partition, or 65 gr game king.
Since I am no longer bound by military law, my preferred defensive bullet is something in a mid-weight varmint bullet. I don't require a pass through for a blood trail on a two legged varmint, so I prefer something like the 50gr TNT from speer. The side benefit to those kind of bullets is they tend to come apart when they hit something, reducing the risk of pass through collateral damage.

I should have said, I'm using this as a reference, regarding effectiveness:
https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/#.223

Yes, I just see a lot more utility with barrier-blind loads. One never knows what one will have to shoot through, to hit the target. To me it is much more important than long-range accuracy - if I want that I will shoot .308 or .300 WSM.

If you think that site comes to the wrong conclusion, I'm all ears...

I should have said, I'm using this as a reference, regarding effectiveness:
https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/#.223

Yes, I just see a lot more utility with barrier-blind loads. One never knows what one will have to shoot through, to hit the target. To me it is much more important than long-range accuracy - if I want that I will shoot .308 or .300 WSM.

If you think that site comes to the wrong conclusion, I'm all ears...
I haven't done anything like that amount of research into this subject, so I'm not about to say they are wrong. I do think they missed a small segment though, on the 5.56; they mentioned the heavier stuff i.e. 77gr, and the light 45gr pills. But the only mention of the 55gr category is in relation to m855 type ammo. There are a lot of good expanding bullets in this weight range, not sure why they overlooked them.

That is a pretty good find, right below the 5.56 stuff is a bit on the 6.8spc. They seemed pretty enamored with that one, I am too. Any idea when that was published?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top