JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you like making the leverage of holding the rifle 50% worse, that's a great idea.

As much as I hate California compliant random AR pieces, this idea is worse than that.

Edit: I think I get it actually, this will be put against the shoulder but because it is a grip it will not be counted as a arm brace or a stock… haha
Edit: I think I get it actually, this will be put against the shoulder but because it is a grip it will not be counted as a arm brace or a stock… haha

I would use a different grip with a more vertical design but I like where he is going with the idea.

I agree about your statement… pistol is for shooting with one hand according to the government.

Buttstock with a rifled bore? RIFLE. Buttstock with a smooth bore? SHOTGUN. Designed to be fired with one hand? PISTOL. Not in one of those categories? AOW.

And remember, once a rifle or a shotgun, always a rifle or a shotgun.* Meaning you can't turn your AR15 rifle into a pistol (no stock) with a short barrel (less than 16″ long). You will need to register it as SBR, whether or not it has a stock or not.

*Pistols that started life as a pistol, can be turned into a rifle and back to a pistol as long as the rules of the NFA are followed
If it designed to be fired with two hands and is over 26 inches in OAL it will be a "Firearm" and no longer subject to AOW restrictions. Exception to that rule would be if there was evidence that the firearm was concealed.

Well if its under 26" OAL even with the 10.5" barrel, it'd be considered "concealable" and thus could well be possibly thrown into AOW status. If the guy puts a 16" barreled upper, its gonna be just a firearm/rifle and there's no grey area there, unless he builds the lower into a pistol (that pesky "once a rifle, always a rifle/once a shotgun, always a shotgun" thing, but "once a pistol, can go to rifle and back if not being a dick and making a SBR" )

Full agreement there.
If the guy puts a 16" barreled upper, its gonna be just a firearm/rifle and there's no grey area there

If the OP doesn't put a stock on it, it will never be a rifle, no matter how long the barrel is, just a firearm.

Edit: A 16" barrel won't guarantee that a firearm won't be an AOW. If a 16" barreled firearm designed to be fired with two hands was under 26" in OAL it would still be considered an AOW. That is why I am running 20" barrel on my upper only firearm project. The OP should be able to count the rear pistol grip in his OAL measurement but I would not count the cane tip taped on the end of the ext tube. I would also run a longer ext tube for myself.

Last Edited:
Would this be legal if i drilled and tapped a screw into the lower rear flat surface on a standard carbine buffer tube for my 10.5" 300 blk pistol?

View attachment 1131022
Your idea has inspired me into repurposing one of my B5 grips.

20220213_222040.jpg

If you like making the leverage of holding the rifle 50% worse, that's a great idea.

As much as I hate California compliant random AR pieces, this idea is worse than that.

Pretty much, you guessed the intent, sure created alot of fun tonight , thanks guys!!
I laughed and almost cried, you're such an awesome bunch!!
Thanks to all who made my day, all because I stuck a crappy old grip next to my buffer tube and took a picture...

Ill have to dig around, im sure i have a few sections of picatinny rail...😉😊
If you decide to really run with this idea, I would encourage you to run it with a longer ext tube. That will allow for maximum variety of buffer weight combinations. You can add different spacers to adjust for different length buffers. I have decided to run an A2 style tube with two standard length carbine buffers in my set up. I could run any buffers including vltor A5, rifle, 308 buffer combos, extended blow back buffers, etc with use of spacers in the A2 type tube. The longer tube also allows for more cheek weld real estate.

Edit: one caveat to running longer ext tube is that you need to be careful about installing a brace on it. By installing a brace on it, you might open up the possibility of being subject to length of pull restrictions. It seems rediculous since a braced firearm is not intended to be fired from the shoulder but that has been a legal issue in the past.

Last Edited:
Cigars has nothing positive or excellent to contribute to this post. Well, you know me though and how much I like crazy bubblegum.... :s0108: OP...rock on.

My main question is why? Honest question, trying to understand what if any benefit this would give you? I'm all for trying new things with guns - that's how innovation happens - but I'm just not seeing the reason behind this one.
It would allow for any incidental contact between ext tube and shoulder to be more comfortable.

Want to get SCREWY? Put a VFG on the 9 o clock rail on a quad rail. See if that counts as a "vertical" :D still gonna be an AOW because "two hand grip" :rolleyes: :s0064:
It would be interesting to read an ATF determination letter on a 26+ inch stockless firearm with three pistol grips. I am guessing if one of the three grips was located on rear of ext tube as OP asked about, the ATF might considered it a stock. Just guessing here, but I can't think of a commercially manufactured firearm with that configuration. If I was going to build one with three grips, I would use a 16" plus barrel.

Might be an interesting project?

Ill have to dig around, im sure i have a few sections of picatinny rail...😉😊
I may beat you to it. I have a pot metal keymod section of rail and some hose clamps that are begging to see some range action. Don't expect anything less than three grips for super ghetto Mod 3 edition of firearm.

817j2MgPnMS._SL1500_.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews