JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Gun Safety E-Newsletter

Thank you for your support for reasonable gun laws. Now it is time for action!

The Oregon Alliance to End Gun Violence is hosting a gun violence lobby day at the State Capitol on April 4th. I encourage everyone to attend a rally at the Capitol steps at noon, and visit your legislators, if possible. We need to show the people of Oregon that our passion for preventing gun violence is greater than gun extremists who oppose even the most reasonable gun safety measures. You can access more information by clicking here.

A number of people have asked about the bills that will receive hearings this session.
They are:

1.) SB 347 – No Guns in K-12 Schools

Removes the current exemption in the law that allows individuals with concealed handgun licenses to carry loaded guns into K-12 schools. Law enforcement officers will still be able to carry their guns into schools. School districts may opt out of this restriction and allow concealed handgun license holders to carry guns into schools.

2.) SB 700 – Universal Background Checks (An amendment is being prepared)

Requires a background check prior to the sale or transfer of ownership of all guns, except between family members. The State of Oregon already requires background checks when purchasing a gun from a licensed dealer or at a gun show, and it is time that we extend those provisions to the purchase of all firearms.

3.) SB 699 - No Open Carry in Public Buildings (An amendment is being prepared)

Requires concealed handgun license holders to conceal their firearms if they carry in public buildings.

4.) SB 796 - Concealed Handgun License Proficiency Test (An amendment is being prepared)

Requires all people applying for a concealed handgun permit to pass a firing range test.

Many people have also asked how they can get involved. You can do four things to help in the effort to pass sensible gun safety legislation:

1) Come to the gun safety lobby day at the Capitol on April 4!

EDITED OUT (recruitment efforts)

We’ve seen too many tragic stories in the news. It’s time to take action.

Again, thank you for your support! Please continue to stay in touch with my office as we work together to reduce gun violence in Oregon.

Yours truly,

Senate President Pro Tempore
Serving District 18
[email protected]
503-986-1718

Y'all ready to comply with her orders? Then Please contact your representatives now. Times running out! Don't complain about it after it happens, if you didn't stand up when it really mattered. Now!

Hmmm...almost all of those proposals are aimed at CC license holders. Has Oregon experienced recent CC license holder gun voilence? It seems to me CC license holders are THE most law abiding citizens in the State.

Keith

I sent Burdick the following:

Good luck with your anti-gun rally and your anti-gun legislation:

1. Removes the current exemption in the law that allows individuals with concealed handgun licenses to carry loaded guns into K-12 schools.
3. Requires concealed handgun license holders to conceal their firearms if they carry in public buildings.
4. Requires all people applying for a concealed handgun permit to pass a firing range test.

"We've seen too many tragic stories in the news. It's time to take action."

Where are all these tragic stories involving concealed carry license holders? I must have missed them. Prepare to be retired after the next Democratic primary election. We're going to make an example of you at the polls.

Thanks DOA. Here is a copy of my e mail to Senator Betsy Johnson and Representative Debbie Boone:
If these might come up in the house and senate, I hope you vote no.

SB-347 No guns allowed in K-12 schools. I see no danger in a CHL not being to be in a school with a concealed hand-gun. Newtown might have had a hero instead of a slaughter in a gun free zone. Another feel-good law that is silly.

SB-700 If bad guys with to have guns the relatives or girl friend will do the back ground check for them...is this a way to get gun registrations?

SB-699 Open carry in a public building, a simple sign should be enough.

SB-796 Proficiency test. Another cumbersome way to keep CHL from happening. We already take training no need for more testing...look at the few instances of abuse of CHL.

Thanks XXXX

Here is a copy of the letter my son sent to Burdick..Rather well done I thought..

Hello Senate President Pro Tempore Burdick,

I read your call to action email where you started by stating the following;

"The Oregon Alliance to End Gun Violence is hosting a gun violence lobby day at the State Capitol on April 4th. I encourage everyone to attend a rally at the Capitol steps at noon, and visit your legislators, if possible. We need to show the people of Oregon that our passion for preventing gun violence is greater than gun extremists who oppose even the most reasonable gun safety measures. You can access more information by clicking here."

In the above paragraph you refer to "gun extremists". Who decides who and what is extreme? You?

You also refer to "the most reasonable gun safety measures". Who's definition of reasonable are you referring to? Yours?

I am quite sure you are intelligent enough to realize that extreme and reasonable are relative to someone's point of view.

Do you believe that your definition of extreme and reasonable are somehow superior to other people's definition? From the context of your comments above, it would appear that you do. Well, just because you, and others who believe as you do feel your definition is superior doesn't mean that it is. I would suggest you think on that some.

Here's another food for thought. I'll bet that if you were to ask every one of the people and organizations who you define as extreme, in the context mentioned in your above remarks, if they oppose gun violence every single one of them would say YES! If you don't believe it, test it. Ask the simple but straight forward question "Do you oppose gun violence?" You will quickly find that everyone you considered an enemy to your cause to end gun violence is your ally.

Where you will diverge is in the how you deal with gun violence. You have made it clear that you believe that restricting gun access and usage to all people is the superior way to deal with gun violence. This is in spite of the fact that there is absolutely no evidence to support that position (if you believe you can prove me wrong in this statement feel free to do so. I will listen). You have also made it clear that any other different or opposing point of view is inferior to yours. Again, just because you say so doesn't mean that it is. I would suggest you think on that some as well.

You should know that most intelligent people are aware of your dishonest approach to the subject as belied in the title of the organization you mention at the preface of your paragraph, "The Oregon Alliance to End Gun Violence". If you were to be truly transparent and honest, the title would be "The Oregon Alliance to Restrict and or Eliminate All Guns". But you and the leaders of that organization know full well that being completely honest and transparent would hurt your efforts. Prove me wrong. Lobby to have the name changed and lets see what happens.

I eagerly await your evidence that proves my points incorrect. I have this suspicion I won't hear from you though. Thank you for your time.

Dear John,

Thank you for your email. I agree, and I will be opposing any additional firearms restrictions, including SB-346, 347, 699, 700, 758, 760, 796, HB-3114, 3412, 3413 and, especially, HB-3200.
From Betsy

Member, Democratic Gun Owners Caucus

NFA License Holder
Another Democrat that is Pro-gun
Maybe we can find one like Betsy to replace Merkley.

Kudos to Betsy!!!
In Wa. I have 2 pro-gun Dems. (Rep. Kevin Van De Wege & Sen. Jim Hargrove) in my district & one that will not answer any e-mails but keeps sending me his webpage (I'm sure it is his aid) with nothing in response to my letters. He is Rep. Steve Tharinger of Sequim.

Keep it on em!!!

The meme from the gun control crowd is "gun extremists", which as usual is an emotionally charged term. The left are masters of this type of propaganda. To combat them we need to deflate the image that they portray of us. If we act like extremists by doing things like brandishing arms, even legally, or acting anything less than reasonably, we make their case for them. Instead we need to fight back in the same manner that they have been using so effectively against us.

We need a meme of our own to describe us, and a meme to describe them. The memes need to target the audience that will be most beneficial to us politically. This target audience is center and left of center. We do not need to waste time convincing conservatives.

Summarizing us: We are patriotic, law abiding, responsible, believers of freedom and liberty. The meme must be positive.

Summarizing them: Control freaks, people who believe that they can make decisions about our lives better than we can. The meme must be negative.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top