JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@IronMonster whats it cost to get the oil changed with new filter at the shop / dealership or where ever you have it done?

To do my 6.0L trucks it cost $93 at the local Ford dealer. Its a 15 quart system so @ $4/qt and a $20 filter so I think its a bargain, Its considerably less than what one of the Jiffy Lube type places want.

I got a family member who is a General manager at a big dealership. What he told me was they lost money on the oil changes because it gives them a chance to tell you what is wrong and of course they bill that work for big bucks. Its a loss leader thing.

To do my 6.0L trucks it cost $93 at the local Ford dealer. Its a 15 quart system so @ $4/qt and a $20 filter so I think its a bargain, Its considerably less than what one of the Jiffy Lube type places want.

I got a family member who is a General manager at a big dealership. What he told me was they lost money on the oil changes because it gives them a chance to tell you what is wrong and of course they bill that work for big bucks. Its a loss leader thing.
yes dealerships generally only make pennies/ a couple bucks at the most or lose on oil changes.

A little bigger cam and some sticky tires is all an LS1 needs to run away from a stock clutch.
Makey much smoke!!!! :s0112:

Makes me wish I still had mine:(

n5onyp.jpg

For my 04 Cummins it cost me just under $50 to do it myself.
I've always been curious what it costs to take it in to be changed.
just some advice... cummins makes a great engine. i recommend every 50-60k take it in and get the valves adjusted. you will see increases in fuel mileage and also prevent dropping a valve. money well spent.

Heck yeah I do my own work. Then again, I am also blessed with a lot of family members and friends who are mechanics too. I love saving money wherever I can to make up for my shooting hobby :D

I did car stereo installation at circuit city and best buy, worked for AAA doing road service, and now do facilities maintenance. So I like taking things apart. No matter what it is.
I just like learning new things and seeing what else I can do on my own.

My loser dad was never around to teach me so I always had to teach myself.
And still doing so. Pretty sure that will never end

I used to laugh at the young guys that wore those silly looking mechanics gloves until I received a pair for Xmas last year.
Now I know better.

Not anymore I don't!

If I'm ever tempted to, I remember back to laying in my folks muddy driveway, yanking the trans out of the wife's work car, to replace the clutch! In freezing rain, ground ice and snow, by myself! I was a hero right up to when the pneumonia came for me! So, no don't anymore! :)

I do some maintenance/repairs, but I leave bigger jobs for the mechanics. If it's something I don't need a highly specialized tool and it's something I can learn by watching a YT video, I'll give it a shot. It's been years since I helped do a brake job and my F150 is due again, so a co-worker has offered to walk me through the process - last brake job was $650, ridiculous when I can get all the parts for about $150. I used to do my own oil changes, but got tired of it and wanted to spend my time doing other things.

I have a couple of friends that work at a national tire store and they let me buy parts through them from the auto store down the street from them.
They're it's biggest customer so I get a 50% discount on most parts.
That alone has saved me a bundle over the years. Mostly, it allows me to install top of the line OEM parts, instead of the cheaper knock off stuff that never seem to fit or last very long.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews