Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Anyone using gun socks?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by PiratePast40, Apr 11, 2016.

1. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

I see silicone gun socks advertised on Midway, Cabelas, and other sites and wondering if people are using them and how they like them. Seems like a good way to protect them from dings and scratches from handling.

2. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I have been using them for 20+ years. I keep using them so I guess that's as good as indication of what I think as any :D

Dungannon, Ura-Ki, equin68 and 2 others like this.
  3. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I haven't invested to put them on my rifles as I still have enough soft cases and not too many guns to keep in the safe but I like them.

The one I did buy holds my 2 piece fishing rod in an aluminum tube - keeps it from getting banged around and scratched up.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  4. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I haven't, but was already considering one for a new gun I'll have coming soon - I don't want to get scratches on that one. Most of my current guns aren't the kind I worry about getting scratched a bit.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  5. thorborg

thorborg portland oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I use them sporadically, only for non scoped, already charactered toys.

6. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I have used them for years of my muzzleloaders that are too large to fit in the safe. I am getting tired of safe dings though, on my other firearms. Perhaps I am overdue to buy some more.

Ura-Ki and Sgt Nambu like this.
  7. flashpan

flashpan Beaverton Active Member

I started using socks about a year agao because the safes seem to get too full of long guns. It does prevent rubbing and dings, keeps them clearner and I also put barracade on the guns before I slip on the sock. I attach a label on the ends so I know whats inside.
    Sometime you can find them for $5ea if you're patient.

Dungannon, Ura-Ki and Sgt Nambu like this.
  8. KeepnitReel

KeepnitReel Battle Ground Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Use them on everything. Even pistols. The best thing is no handling marks when moving stuff around.

9. PiratePast40

Had no idea that so many people were using them. Guess it's time to get a few.

Ura-Ki and Joe13 like this.
  10. PiratePast40

One of the things I noticed were some finger smudge marks on the barrel of my lever action Winchester. After reading the answers you guys were giving, decided to check out Barricade by Birchwood Casey. Between the socks and Barricade, sounds like just what the doctor ordered!

11. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I do my best to not touch em without a cloth after I clean them - nothing worse the finger grease on a gun that will be sitting for a while;)

Ura-Ki likes this.
  12. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

I use them on all of my long guns in my safe. Prevents rubbing and handling dings and scratches.

Dungannon, Ura-Ki, ron and 1 other person like this.
  13. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Ditto with Ogre! I need to get some because I'm tired of safe wear! Start with enough to cover every other rifle in the safe!:)

14. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've been curious, but never really looked into them. Will they fit over a scoped AR?

15. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

There are special ones available for AR type weapons. A little more money but worth it. The standard ones don't fit worth a damn

Capn Jack and Joe13 like this.
  16. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

I know some museums use them on antique rifles worth several thousand per....a pain to put off and on using white cotton gloves but leaves no oily fingerprints. They are pretty affordable. My long personal long arms live in hard or soft cases.

Brutus out

Joe13 likes this.
  17. PiratePast40

^^^ That just got me thinking about storing guns that were touching foam or cloth. I'd be worried about moisture and contact points. Had a really bad experience about 25 years ago with a damp security six sitting in a gun rug for a week. Not a pretty sight!

18. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

I use them to keep safe rash down to a minimum. Nothing worse than having a few rifles marring each other up.

Dungannon, Ura-Ki and Joe13 like this.
  19. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Everson, Wa. Well-Known Member

I use 'em to transport my antique guns back and forth for a show.
    Helps keep travel wear and tear down.
    Andy

20. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter