JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like them because they are silicone impregnated. That prevents moisture accumulation. I'd be more worried about moisture from keeping them in a soft case. I had a bad experience with my favorite shotgun in a soft case for a month. Bad pitting all over. I've since had it cleaned up and refinished, but it'll never be the same. The sock lets air circulate whereas the soft case doesn't.

I just started using some on my vintage rifles to keep them from getting scratched up. I haven't really had them long enough to see whether they make a difference though.
Does anyone have actual experience with those "tactical" socks?
Basically anything with a pistol grip doesn't fit well in the normal socks. Also, if anyone's interested they are only $6 at cheaper than dirt plus shipping.

I've personally found that nothing compares with silicone impregnated gun socks for minimizing (virtually eliminating) gun safe related damages (while taking up little space), plus they virtually eliminate any/all potential moisture problems that could occur within the gun safe via extended periods of non-use, etc.

For the past several years, I always purchase a new silicone impregnated gun sock with every new (or old) firearm that I've purchased. My experience has proven that they are worth much more than you have to pay for them, and it seems like you can always find them on sale/discount somewhere.

I would suggest that anyone who's genuinely concerned about preserving the existing condition of their firearms to try to always have several on hand. Plus, they can be used for numerous other purposes relative to the preservation and maintenance of just about anything that could potentially rust. :)

I have no long term experience with them, but have one for each of my rifles and pistols. The socks I purchased fit easily over rifles with 50mm objective scopes mounted, so I don't think that's an issue with careful shopping.

I'm in a relatively dry area (eastern Washington) but figure the cost of socks is much less than the potential for damage to nice stocks (in some cases) or rust.

Do socks by themselves actually prevent rust? I was under the assumption that you still needed a dehumidifier such as silica gel or a golden rod in addition to the socks. Then again, I'm guessing Las Vegas is a lot less humid than the Pacific Northwest around Seattle/Portland, so your guns might be less prone to rusting than someone in the northwest.

I have no long term experience with them, but have one for each of my rifles and pistols. The socks I purchased fit easily over rifles with 50mm objective scopes mounted, so I don't think that's an issue with careful shopping.

I'm in a relatively dry area (eastern Washington) but figure the cost of socks is much less than the potential for damage to nice stocks (in some cases) or rust.
Are you perchance from Walla Walla? That's where I grew up! :)
I also have my guns over there for the time being. Despite the relatively dry climate, I still have one of these in my 36 gun safe: http://www.amazon.com/Improved-Eva-dry-E-333-Renewable-Dehumidifier/dp/B000H0XFCS/
I still have to recharge it about once a month on average.

Really? "Tactical" gun-socks?! o_O

:s0108:

Oh sure, not only do they have tactical gun socks, they also have tactical gun leggings :p

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPDLqyFKV4g5gL85quHAb4XZ5K6GXxqbSAQ6aE0QD2NfYkheJHRQ.jpg

4bcpyw-l-610x610-leggings-black-pink-ak+47-ar+15-556-762-gun-firearm-weapons-9mm-barretta.jpg

I use 'em. You can cram more guns in the safe with out worrying about the scratches. Get the Allen "Tactical" socks for scoped guns. Some of the basic rifle socks are pretty tight fits.

they look a little girly on me ;-)

"Does this Gun Sock make me look fat?"

I recommend Brownell's Bore Stores. Thicker than others and lots of sizes to choose from, scoped, not scoped, handgun sizes from snubby to 8" barrels and more. Can't beat 'em for the price. Put a hanging tag on the outside for quick ID. 20160413_080557_resized.jpg

Do socks by themselves actually prevent rust? I was under the assumption that you still needed a dehumidifier such as silica gel or a golden rod in addition to the socks. Then again, I'm guessing Las Vegas is a lot less humid than the Pacific Northwest around Seattle/Portland, so your guns might be less prone to rusting than someone in the northwest.

Are you perchance from Walla Walla? That's where I grew up! :)
I also have my guns over there for the time being. Despite the relatively dry climate, I still have one of these in my 36 gun safe: http://www.amazon.com/Improved-Eva-dry-E-333-Renewable-Dehumidifier/dp/B000H0XFCS/
I still have to recharge it about once a month on average.
I just bought one of these dryers on your recommendation. I've never had a problem inside the safe before, but we are in a new house and it's now in a heated area, but it's in contact with a cement floor. In the old house it was in a semi-heated area, but up on a hardwood floor. Never had a problem there either, even though we were in the bottom of a valley and I had a difficult time keeping moisture from under the house.

The big killer is temperature fluctuation. When steel gets cold and then gets exposed to warm, moist air the moisture condenses on the steel. If the steel remains the same temperature as the air around it the problem is minimized.

Anyway, I'm not taking any chances with some of my old, classic rifles and shotguns.

I just bought one of these dryers on your recommendation. I've never had a problem inside the safe before, but we are in a new house and it's now in a heated area, but it's in contact with a cement floor. In the old house it was in a semi-heated area, but up on a hardwood floor. Never had a problem there either, even though we were in the bottom of a valley and I had a difficult time keeping moisture from under the house.

The big killer is temperature fluctuation. When steel gets cold and then gets exposed to warm, moist air the moisture condenses on the steel. If the steel remains the same temperature as the air around it the problem is minimized.

Anyway, I'm not taking any chances with some of my old, classic rifles and shotguns.

I've been using the same brand of dehumidifier (the larger 500 model) for about 2 years now in my safe, which is in a cold area on a concrete floor. In 2 years I've never experienced any moisture in my safe - no condensation, no evidence of rust. I just make sure I recharge that thing regularly and it's been working great. I've got a heating rod, just haven't bothered to install it yet - not even sure at this point if I need to.

I've used them for years on all the rifles and most of the handguns in the safe. Started using them after an unprovoked attack from an SKS on an M1 Garand, resulting in a couple of nicks on the Garands stock.

As others have said, if you are going to put one on an AR, and especially an AR with optics you really want the sock specifically for those type of rifles as the standard ones don't fit well if at all.

I've used "gun socks" both impregnated and not for years. Big problem I tend to have is dust, the safe is usually open during the day at the shop, so all of my guns just get covered in whatever happens to be floating in the air that day. The socks do quite a bit to keep the guns and optics clean especially on guns I don't pull out that much. For the most part, most of them are pretty thin and don't do much for serious dings, but the thicker ones therealhitman are definitely better for keeping your guns in good shape.

Also, for what it's worth, I use a goldenrod, which is more of a heater than an actual dehumidifier. I don't have too many moisture problems though.

Oh gosh, I have only been using one for about 6 months now so I don't have any guarantees as to whether or not they're effective. You are scaring me though by saying temperature fluctuations can be a problem, since my safe is in an area that's not climate controlled at all, and eastern WA weather can get up to 110 in the summer and below freezing in the winter. :eek:

Hopefully the combination of socks, dri-rod, and eva-dry will be enough to help the guns avoid rust, along with a good coat of oil every so often.

Oh gosh, I have only been using one for about 6 months now so I don't have any guarantees as to whether or not they're effective. You are scaring me though by saying temperature fluctuations can be a problem, since my safe is in an area that's not climate controlled at all, and eastern WA weather can get up to 110 in the summer and below freezing in the winter. :eek:

Hopefully the combination of socks, dri-rod, and eva-dry will be enough to help the guns avoid rust, along with a good coat of oil every so often.
When I say temperature fluctuations I mean like dropping 30 degrees in 12 hours then warming back up again. That's what produces dew on your car overnight. Long term variations in temperature are OK.

When I say temperature fluctuations I mean like dropping 30 degrees in 12 hours then warming back up again. That's what produces dew on your car overnight. Long term variations in temperature are OK.
Yes, that is exactly what worries me. Once in a great while during the winter the temperature will fluctuate 20-30 or more degrees between night and day. That's why I'm not taking any chances and using any and all rust inhibitors I can.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top