JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello All,

I took my AR out recently and had issues with it. I realized the bolt catch was not moving freely. I oiled it all up, worked it back and forth, but to no avail.

So I removed it to see if there was dirt inside. With the pin out I moved it around in the slot and determined it was ever so slightly bent (?!?!). I filed it a little and now it works and moves freely, so I'll buy a new (quality) catch.

Question and a warning:
It was from a PSA lpk...so are they made from inferior metal??

I carry my AR in a soft sided tactical bag and I dropped it on the previous shooting trip, which may have caused the issue. I never would have guessed the catch could be so fragile.

Anyone else have a similar issue, soft metal not holding up??

Never bent one but the PSA bolt catch is one of my least favorites.
I don't like the coarse serrations and I got one that wasn't drilled for the pivot pin once.

I like the fine serrations.
Spikes
LWRCI
Armalite has a unique design
etc, etc
Do a Google Image search to see the differences.

I replace all of my AR bolt catches with Strike Industries catches. Never had a problem with 'em, and I like the looks of 'em, too.
The finger pad is larger (as opposed to the OEM catch) so it's easier to engage without looking, and the striations are grippy for when you're wearing gloves...

clicky to embiggen for detail...

SI_AR bolt catch.jpg

Last Edited:
I replace all of my AR bolt catches with Strike Industries catches.
🖕This. No matter how "budget" the build, every one of em gets an SI enhanced or extended BC. Being critical (IMHO) to proper operation it's extremely inexpensive insurance... and let's face it... they are a PITA to install so once is enough.;)

#1 Dropping your AR is a sin. Don't do it, nothing good comes of it.

#2 Small metal parts can be damaged regardless of what company you buy them from or who made them.

#3 Putting a Magpul BAD lever on the AR is how civilized people live. Life's better that way.

Thank you all, that was mostly helpful useful information.

Haha, dropping the AR is a sin...I definitely dropped and gave Jesus 20 push ups for that one. However, how fragile is your battle rifle if it gets jacked up from a short drop in a padded case? Not like I was playing lawn darts...

Time for an upgrade!

However, how fragile is your battle rifle if it gets jacked up from a short drop in a padded case? Not like I was playing lawn darts...

Time for an upgrade!
Certainly can't argue that and I am sure there is merit that some PSA components may not be up to par. When a company is geared toward production at the lowest cost possible, some elements are guaranteed to suffer.

That said, there are certain sets of circumstances that could over tax the best of components. Ie., If the bolt catch was engaged at the time and it hit just right, even top quality catches might deform a bit. A drop test typically done in a "ready" state... to simulate the condition of a rifle in use at the time... that's not likely to happen.

I'm not suggesting what state your rifle was in, just pointing out that the totally of the circumstances has to be considered when making an assessment. YMMV

Thank you all, that was mostly helpful useful information.

Haha, dropping the AR is a sin...I definitely dropped and gave Jesus 20 push ups for that one. However, how fragile is your battle rifle if it gets jacked up from a short drop in a padded case? Not like I was playing lawn darts...

Time for an upgrade!
A practical understanding of physics is important.

A rifle weighing 8 pounds, falling 4 feet, will impact the ground producing about 104 ft-lbs of force. If it happens to land just on 1 small component piece, the pounds per square inch would be multiplied, I understand where that could be an issue, regardless of manufacturer.

I'm not saying there aren't different levels of quality even in components, but I am saying if you take what is the equivalent of a hammer and start smacking your AR with it (because hitting something with a hammer is about 100 ft-lbs of force also), stuff might have a problem, and it's really not the fault of the AR or it's components.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top