JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I should show this gun I guess. I'm kind of proud that I was able to stumble on it at the ARPC show. I've been looking for one. Wasn't' really wanting to lay out quite as much as I did, but weighing everything I KNEW if I went home without it I would be sorry. (Rationalization) It might be in too good of shape for the likes of ME. There's a bit of discoloration on the butt-plate and three or four little pin head size spots of light rust. Seller figured it was leaning up in a closet for many years. Bore is shiny bright.

The seller said he's had the stock off and 1941 was stamped on the barrel. There were no model '94s made in '43 due to the war effort. And according to this site... http://guncollectionsonline.com/winchestermodel94.htm # 13156** should be more like '44. I haven't had the stock off yet. There are matching P/W in oval (Proof Winchester) stamps at the base of the barrel and front of the receiver. An "A" in front of the trigger and a "B" under the lever on the lower tang.

P1050144.JPG

P1050145.JPG

P1050146.JPG

P1050147.JPG

P1050148.JPG

I shoot powder coated cast out of my .32 Special a lot, although I do gas check them. They are easy on the bore and no fouling up to 1950fps so far. The current load shoots so well, I don't see any need to try to find more speed. I second the recommendation for the Lyman M-die to expand case necks. It also creates a short straight section below the flare that makes it effortless to get your bullets to sit perfect in the neck before you seat them.

I shoot powder coated cast out of my .32 Special a lot, although I do gas check them. They are easy on the bore and no fouling up to 1950fps so far. The current load shoots so well, I don't see any need to try to find more speed. I second the recommendation for the Lyman M-die to expand case necks. It also creates a short straight section below the flare that makes it effortless to get your bullets to sit perfect in the neck before you seat them.
That's helpful. Do you have a link for that M die? I didn't look deep but a quick google didn't bring anything up.

You mention the .32 Special. A guy at the show had a m'94 in reasonably good shape. I checked it out. It was considerably less then the one I got. I really wanted one in .30-30 though. And I really didn't want to get into a more obscure round. I wanted the easy route. And would rather not shoot cast. Looking at that .32 Winchester I saw it was introduced in 1901, for the model 94. And it's likely cast is the only slugs for it. Affordable anyway.

I should show this gun I guess. I'm kind of proud that I was able to stumble on it at the ARPC show. I've been looking for one. Wasn't' really wanting to lay out quite as much as I did, but weighing everything I KNEW if I went home without it I would be sorry. (Rationalization) It might be in too good of shape for the likes of ME. There's a bit of discoloration on the butt-plate and three or four little pin head size spots of light rust. Seller figured it was leaning up in a closet for many years. Bore is shiny bright.

The seller said he's had the stock off and 1941 was stamped on the barrel. There were no model '94s made in '43 due to the war effort. And according to this site... http://guncollectionsonline.com/winchestermodel94.htm # 13156** should be more like '44. I haven't had the stock off yet. There are matching P/W in oval (Proof Winchester) stamps at the base of the barrel and front of the receiver. An "A" in front of the trigger and a "B" under the lever on the lower tang.

View attachment 1148908

View attachment 1148909

View attachment 1148910

View attachment 1148911

View attachment 1148912
should be 1942 serials started at 1287469 and they made 29981 so end serial should be 1317450

Nice looking rifle.

I had seen those bullets and was considering them. Then saw the coated bullets. As far as the case expander went, I don't see why I couldn't use the expander for my .38- .357 brass? I ordered some .30-30 Hornady dies now too. And the Lee factory Crimp Die.

If you want to use the expander for different calibers, you will need a universal expander like the Lee 90798. The Lyman M dies are caliber specific because of the small straight expanded section they create below the bell of the case mouth. This makes them amazing for loading cast bullets, but not as versatile as a universal expander.

If you want to use the expander for different calibers, you will need a universal expander like the Lee 90798. The Lyman M dies are caliber specific because of the small straight expanded section they create below the bell of the case mouth. This makes them amazing for loading cast bullets, but not as versatile as a universal expander.
Good to consider. I was only considering the expander if I were going to get some of those coated bullets. I've got another option for jacketed too.

The Lyman M expander is great. I've accumulated a wide variety of dies, and have several expanders, including a homemade M style 30 cal expander.

If I'm tinkering with something and don't feel like digging out an expander of one size or another, and only have a few to do, my Leatherman plier jaws work well. I push them into the case neck and turn- makes a pretty good "field expedient" case next flaring tool. :)

Speaking of .32 Special, I've got a box or two of .321 JSP bullets around here somewhere. I don't remember where I got them, but kept them just in case I ever got one.

The Lyman M expander is great. I've accumulated a wide variety of dies, and have several expanders, including a homemade M style 30 cal expander.

If I'm tinkering with something and don't feel like digging out an expander of one size or another, and only have a few to do, my Leatherman plier jaws work well. I push them into the case neck and turn- makes a pretty good "field expedient" case next flaring tool. :)

Speaking of .32 Special, I've got a box or two of .321 JSP bullets around here somewhere. I don't remember where I got them, but kept them just in case I ever got one.
Is there some reason I can't use the expander from my .357 die set? Hornady, not that that makes any dif.

When it was really hard to get boolits we ordered these. 230 gr coated .45acp bullets. Bayou Bullets. Hubby loaded up 25 for a test run. They jam really bad. Tried different seating depths but they jam. Anybody want to buy them? Make you a good deal. On the other hand, during the dry period we had good luck loading 147 gr 9mm pills in .357 cases.

45 reds.jpg

Is there some reason I can't use the expander from my .357 die set? Hornady, not that that makes any dif.
If the tip of the expander tapers down enough to fit into a .30 caliber case neck, it should work.

I just checked my Hornady .357 expander, and it fits. Just be careful to not over-flare, or you'll end up with a ".35-30". :)

My guess.........

It'll depend on how fast you're pushing them bullets.

That being said......
I normally shoot cheap uncoated lead for targets and SASS. And, that is (in SASS) we're normally only shooting pistol calibers.
The "coated" bullets look pretty though. But in SASS or target shooting, "Who cares?"

Since you did mention the 30-30.....
IF...I was hunting....maybe, I should just use a regular semi-jacketed bullet (or whatever else is common)?
IF...I was hunting....I'd also wonder if the meat would be safe or safer for consumption (vs. whatever else is available)?

Aloha, Mark

PS.......Gun cleaning?
Rrrright.....how often do I do that?

Last Edited:
My guess.........

It'll depend on how fast you're pushing them bullets.

That being said......
I normally shoot cheap uncoated lead for targets and SASS. And, that is (in SASS) we're normally only shooting pistol calibers.
The "coated" bullets look pretty though. But in SASS or target shooting, "Who cares?"

Since you did mention the 30-30.....
IF...I was hunting....maybe, I should just use a regular semi-jacketed bullet (or whatever else is common)?
IF...I was hunting....I'd also wonder if the meat would be safe or safer for consumption (vs. whatever else is available)?

Aloha, Mark

PS.......Gun cleaning?
Rrrright.....how often do I do that?
Nah, not a hunter. I don't push anything I load up to the higher specs.

If the tip of the expander tapers down enough to fit into a .30 caliber case neck, it should work.

I just checked my Hornady .357 expander, and it fits. Just be careful to not over-flare, or you'll end up with a ".35-30". :)
I adjust my flare die it just barely allows the bullet to sit in the case mouth when loading handgun. IF, I were loading lead may have to go another .005" or so deeper. And there's still a chance the flare could be too drastic. I had that with a RCBS .45acp set. I didn't like the flare. It still worked, but I think it should have been a little more gradual. I sold those cheap and got a Lyman set and the flare those produced wasn't going to be so hard on the brass. I'll feel it out when I get everything together. If I don't like it, I'll get the M-die.

I'll presume the coating eliminates need for gas checks?
correct up to about 1200fps or so , go by mfgrs suggestions.bores stay super clean with gas checked bullets.1200 fps is actually old school thinking i'd not be surprised if you could push coated bullets to 1600
I"ll second the need to chamfer AND slightly flarer the case mouths AND i'd add seat and crimp in 2 ops,that way no lead shaved off of the boolit
give Brazos bullets a look they sell in sample pax so a guy don't have to buy 500 and not like them. they cost more that way but heck when did we start worrying about what our fun costs !! ?? lol

In their FAQ's ,Missouri bullets expalins that they dont' test for speed but rely on/use other reload books data and urge the buyer to do the same.They do have a Facebook group and answer questions there,.

correct up to about 1200fps or so , go by mfgrs suggestions.bores stay super clean with gas checked bullets.1200 fps is actually old school thinking i'd not be surprised if you could push coated bullets to 1600
I"ll second the need to chamfer AND slightly flarer the case mouths AND i'd add seat and crimp in 2 ops,that way no lead shaved off of the boolit
give Brazos bullets a look they sell in sample pax so a guy don't have to buy 500 and not like them. they cost more that way but heck when did we start worrying about what our fun costs !! ?? lol
Reading data from my Lyman book for lead (#2 alloy) shows a brinnel hardness of 15. The Missouri bullet list theirs at 18 brinnel. I should think staying to the low side on the data should be okay.

Yes. got the flaring and factory crimp die at the table.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top