JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
August 27, 2012

Dear Friends,

Since the most recent shootings in Colorado, Wisconsin, Texas, Washington DC and New York at the Empire State Building, Americans are again faced with the issue of guns in society and discussing what reforms might make sense.

I want to thank you for taking the time to fill out my recent survey regarding your thoughts on gun safety and share the results with you:

I asked: Should there be a limit on the size of the semi- automatic weapon magazine, so that a shooter would not be able to fire off 100 bullets in a minute?

You said: Yes: 75% (4,247); No: 25 % (1,402)

Why I asked: Currently, individuals can purchase magazines capable of facilitating killing sprees. I am a cosponsor H.R. 308, the Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act, which would ban large capacity magazines that can hold dozens of rounds of ammunition.

I asked: Should Federal agencies be able to share information so that people deemed so dangerous as to be on the "no fly list" would be prohibited from legally purchasing guns?

You said: Yes: 78% (4,319); No: 22 % (1,237)

Why I asked: Currently, “no-fly” list data cannot be shared between the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Department of Homeland Security. This means that even suspected terrorists or individuals on the “no fly list” are able to purchase firearms in the U.S. This is unacceptable. I’m a cosponsor of H.R. 1506, the Denying Firearms and Explosives to Dangerous Terrorists Act of 2011, which would prohibit the sale of firearms or explosives to individuals determined by the Attorney General to be engaged in terrorist activities

I asked: Should the gun show loophole be closed, so that the people who buy weapons in the open-air gun bazaars, like what occurs in Portland at the Expo Center, be required to submit to the same background checks and record-keeping as people who buy from licensed gun-dealers?

You said: Yes: 82% (4,627); No: 18 % (1,029)

Why I asked: Oregon leads the way as one of only six states that requires universal background checks on all firearm sales at gun shows. However, in over 30 states, one can walk into a local gun show (very similar to those held at the Expo Center in Portland) and purchase a weapon from a “private seller,” without ever undergoing any kind of background check.

It is time to extend Oregon standards to the rest of the country. I support both H.R.591, the Gun Show Loophole Closing Act of 2011 and H.R. 1781, the Fix Gun Checks Act of 2011, which would both eliminate the gun-show loophole.

I asked: Should people with a history of domestic violence be able to purchase guns and carry concealed weapons?

You said: Yes: 15% (834); No: 85% (4,684)

Why I asked: In 1998, Congress passed the Federal Domestic Violence Gun Ban, prohibiting people convicted of domestic violence, or who are under a restraining order for domestic violence from purchasing firearms. Since 1999, hundreds of thousands of domestic violence offenders have been denied access to firearms under these laws.

This is an example of the kind of legislation that helps keep guns out of the hands of the wrong people. However, these laws have limitations. Until we close the gun show loophole and require background checks on every single gun purchase in the United States, people with a history of domestic violence can still purchase guns. We also need to work to strengthen existing laws and enforcement systems to ensure that only responsible, law-abiding citizens have access to firearms.

I asked: Should the federal government force every state to accept the weakest gun safety standards of any state in a "race to the bottom?"

You said: Yes: 15% (804); No: 85% (4,489)

Why I asked: This past November, the House passed H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011. This legislation, backed by the NRA, would require states to honor concealed weapons permits from every other state, regardless of how weak or strict permitting restrictions are. This undercuts state laws that have successfully narrowed access to concealed weapons permits. This legislation has not passed the Senate. If it does, I will encourage the President to veto it.

I asked: Should the Clinton-era assault weapon ban, which expired in 2004, be renewed?

What you said: Yes: 71% (3,993); No: 29% (1,597)

Why I asked: In 1994, Congress passed a 10 year ban on semiautomatic assault weapons and large-capacity ammunition feeding devices. This ban expired in 2004 and should be reinstated. Military-style firearms have no place in the hands of civilians.

While this was not a scientific survey, It is clear to me that the majority of you agree that having a thoughtful and rational conversation about gun safety doesn’t have to be a toxic political issue, rather it is an important conversation about public health and safety.

Most of us do agree that there are steps we can take to make our communities safer from gun violence. According to polls, even the majority of NRA members disagree with many of the rabid pro-gun policies of the NRA itself.

In the last decade, there have been well over 100 fatal mass gun shootings in the United States. This is unacceptable. For too long, we have allowed political bullies to intimidate people from even having these conversations, researching the facts and proposing common-sense solutions. Meanwhile, the tragic loss of life from gun violence only continues to rise.

It is time to recognize this realty and to come together to deal with the epidemic of gun violence the way we would treat any other threat to the safety of our families and communities.

Thank you very much,

Earl Blumenauer
Member of Congress

I think it's time to let this guy know that the 2nd amendment was not put in place so wack jobs could run around shooting people. It was there to protect us.

I got it too.........here's what my response to him said:

August 27th, 2012

A few comments about your recent email RE: SURVEY RESULTS.

1. Do you understand that it is currently illegal to purchase a firearm if you have been convicted of domestic violence? Did you know Felons cannot legally purchase firearms?
2. Keep in mind it is illegal for a prohibited person to even attempt to purchase a firearm. Tell me what's wrong for lawful citizens would like to purchase firearms out from under the scope of governmental oversight?
3. Guns are not illegal, people do illegal things. Guns are just objects they don't do anything unless someone does something wrong or illegal.
4. My driver's license is good in all 50 states, why not allow for concealed carry holders to have their RIGHTS accepted everywhere as well? Driver's licenses aren't even in the Constitution.
5. Your questions are misleading and are asked in such a way as to lead to the answer you want to hear. Why not ask unbiased questions? Unless you really don't want to have a thoughtful, constructive, and meaningful conversation about gun laws.
6. You should be ashamed of cutting and pasting the propaganda of Mayor's Against "Illegal Guns".

Ignorance breeds contempt and education enlightens. I have in the past invited you to a shooting range so you could see what safe and proper gun handling is all about. Today I again invite you if you like. Feel free to contact me.

Thank you in advance for your consideration,
Respectfully,
Scott Shaw
Happy Valley, OR

According to his logic and everyone that supports him --->Everyone agrees...take all the guns away and our magazines! This will save us and our families...when clearly he needs to read a better report on home injuries and deaths. And I quote, "Poisoning as Leading Cause of Injury Deaths"! <broken link removed>

Guess with his logic, better throw out the dish soap, laundry soap, and anything actually useful in a home, because someone MIGHT DIE!

Very sobering fact really, and I quote it all the time when people bring up how DANGEROUS guns are. Why don't you look at the real facts. And from what I know, having read ER reports while working in Patient Accounting/Medical Records, more people probably died from drowning this summer than gun related deaths. "
Every day, about ten people die from unintentional drowning. Of these, two are children aged 14 or younger. Drowning ranks fifth among the leading causes of unintentional injury death in the United States.
1"​

CDC - Water-Related Injuries Facts - Home and Recreational Safety - Injury Center

Ban Swimming pools - anything deeper than 6 inches, needs new legislation TODAY!:s0077:

Hmmmm....
If one's on the No Fly List, a list nobody knows how they got on, & nobody can question, means one loses their 2A rights?
I'd have to say that kinda sucks.

ETA; Yeah, all my answers seem to be in the minority too. I took the survey.

The no fly list thing is ridiculous. My cousin was on the no fly list simply because his father is Iranian. By the way, his father has been in this country since he was a young boy.

Also, this survey is ridiculous. It would be like sending the same survey out to the members of this site. The results would be totally skewed.

I really don't think he could fit his head any further up his arse.

Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts on gun ownership and gun safety legislation.

Like all Americans, I was deeply saddened by the recent horrific shootings in Colorado, Texas, Wisconsin, Washington, DC and New York City. I was also reminded that such events are unfortunately all too common in our country.

I support the right of sportsmen to purchase guns to hunt and target shoot. I also support the right of law-abiding citizens to own certain firearms in accordance with the Second Amendment. However, I believe that current gun laws in the United States are contributing to a problem of gun violence that is simply out of control. In many states, it is impossible to even close the gun show loophole where individuals can purchase unlimited amount of guns without a reasonable background check. We also haven’t even been able to prohibit people suspected of terrorism from buying guns.

Hundreds of people die from gun accidents and thousands of people are killed by gun violence every year. Semi-automatic weapons are available over the counter and they come with enormous magazines that serve no purpose in sports or target shooting but are used in killing sprees. And too often our system of providing care to those with mental health disorders, who may become violent, often falls short.

For these reasons and others, I did not support H.R. 822, the National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act. I believe this legislation is an assault on states’ rights and does not allow states to adequately regulate concealed weapons permits as they see fit. I simply do not agree that the same regulations should apply in both New York City and rural America, for example.

In the aftermath of recent shootings, it has been encouraging to learn that many people actually do think that reasonable common-sense steps can be taken to reduce gun violence. Indeed, surveys show that the majority of NRA members disagree with many of the policies that the NRA itself is promoting. It is time to have a thoughtful and rational conversation about gun safety. I hope you will continue to be a part of this important discussion.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with me. Please continue to be in touch.

Sincerely,

Earl Blumenauer
Member of Congress

I own several high capacity magazines. I can't recall purchasing them so I could mow down civilians at a theater*. But apparently they have no purpose in sport shooting? I mean WTF. "Thoughtful and rational conversation... so long as you think that means banning guns" is what he means. This guy must really believe that if everyone had a gun we would all be running around shooting each other.

*I bought my high capacity magazines so I could spend more time shooting and less time swapping magazines.

The survey was sent out via email to everyone on his mailing list.

yes and if 70%-80% of the dems on his mailing list ( i know rep are not on the list) say guns are bad, that leaves 20%-30% of dems that said hell no, add that to 95% of rep and you would get 65% or more of the populous saying get away from my guns freek.

I know thats not what the poll shows but polls are only as good as the democratic you poll.

When you are a liberal democrat congressman, and you email your supporters...what do you think his results would be? Actually,sounds to me that 20 to 30 percent of his supporters should realize he does not need their support.

"I asked: Should people with a history of domestic violence be able to purchase guns and carry concealed weapons?

You said: Yes: 15% (834); No: 85% (4,684)

Why I asked: In 1998, Congress passed the Federal Domestic Violence Gun Ban, prohibiting people convicted of domestic violence, or who are under a restraining order for domestic violence from purchasing firearms. Since 1999, hundreds of thousands of domestic violence offenders have been denied access to firearms under these laws."

Ah yes, the ex post facto DV gun ban. Misdemeanors count not just felonies on that one. Its pretty easy to get a restraining order against someone, especially in family court these days. Go ask Dave Letterman how he felt a few years back when a crazy woman got one against him in New Mexico because he was sending messages through the air waves to her every night at 1135pm.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top